Dangerous animals and insects in DR

When considering a move to a new location, I'd like to have some idea of what dangerous wildlife I may possibly encounter.  I am originally from a large NE city in the US and I don't recall ever having to be worried about poisonous and/or deadly insects or animals while I was growing up.  However, all that changed when I move to the SE.  For the first time in my life I encountered black widows, brown recluses, ticks, copperheads, rattlesnakes, alligators, water moccasins, etc.  All pretty much in my own backyard.  So now that we're contemplating a move to the DR, I'm wondering what wildlife, insects, reptiles, etc, I need to be aware of.  Please don't tell me about the mozzies as I'm already acutely aware of them.  Are there scorpions, coyotes, copperheads, alligators, etc. I read somewhere that there are scorpions, but my Dominican friends insist that's not true.  I also assume there are tarantulas, is that a correct assumption?

Not much to worry about here.  Yes there are  tarantulas, black widows, brown recluse spiders. NO poisonous snakes, alligators only in certain areas of the country, misquotes (can be dangerous because of Dengue) and that is pretty much it.

Oh and the two legged land shark that come in either gringo or Dominican variety... be careful who your trust :D

Bob K

We have annoying bugs but not much more. No scorpions!

Love the 2 legged comment.

https://db.tt/o5H1zA41 I'm not sure if you can open the link but it is a photo of a tarantula on a car bumper.  It is dead but big.  I also saw a dead scorpion in Constanza. I have seen a young Dominican boy carrying a live black snake that was at least 4 feet long in the barrio by the zoo. I assume it was not poisonous and it became lunch.

To BobK's point, the female species he refers to can bite and yes some are poisonous. You need to protect yourself.  :o

google "dominican republic scorpions" this will verify scorpions and there are articles about the other creatures.

Wow,  I stand corrected and wish I did not know about em....

Actually I was referring to both the male and female variety of the two legged shark

Bob K

I only see some big spiders, no idea what they are though, some cockroaches and occasional long skinny, lots of legs creatures crawling around my place.

If the skinny manny legged one is an orangy, yellowish to a tanish & moves really fast.... KILL IT on sight!. It is a centipede, extremely painful bite.  If it is very slow moving & the legs are small & hard to see, it is a millipede. Harmless & eats ants & other small insects.  Good to have around.   In 8 years saw less then a half dozen centipedes, mostly after a lot of rain.  There seems to be several times a year when there are more millipedes about. Hope you have the latter.

I hate centipedes.  Friend of mine got  bit and it was horribly painful. The bigger they are the worse the bite.  I have had 2 big ones in my places over 12 years and  dozens of little ones.  They never made it to be big!    :cheers:

rsmith525 checked out the link you posted, which lead to more research.  Apparently, there are several different types of scorpions that live in the Dr.  I've only been able to identify 2 areas where they are found, Cordillera Central Mountain range and the Sierra de Neiba Mountains.  Also, the DR has the largest population of the american crocodile in the world, which is apparently in Lago Enriquillo. I guess the good news is that my Dominican friends who are natives, as well as many of you have never seen or knew these creatures lived there.  Thanks for posting about the centipedes.  Researched them as well.  Wow!  Had no idea they were so dangerous.  Not only is their bite painful, but it can really do some damage.

I still say whatever bugs are here are much smaller than, let's say, Costa Rica where every insect or bug is like 7X normal size. That's just nuts. I mean really, does a cockaroach have to be the size of my hand? I say NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

Well in Australia, they're the size of mice.  Yikes, actually had one jump off a railing and onto my leg as I sat poolside having drinks.  I'm sure you can imagine my reaction.

As for roaches in the DR, I truly did expect to see more than the 1 or 2 dead ones I encountered inside a church. Even on the litter filled streets, I thought surely the roaches would be having a feast, but never saw a one outdoors.  In fact, we never really encountered any insects, not even mozzies.

I want to move to DR but I am absolutely terrified of spiders. This post has me nervous. Are there a lot of spiders and even tarantulas seen in highly populated areas outside and indoors? Would someone with this kind of phobia survive out there? I have been there 5 times and have yet to encounter any spiders just one of the largest cockroaches I have ever seen.

Look there are spiders everywhere in the world except maybe the arctic.   Yes we have spiders, yes you can fumigate. In  12 years here I have seen one tarantula  and that was in the city.   

WE HAVE BUGS.  simple.

Yes we have spiders.  It kind of goes with life in the Caribbean.

Bob K

In the DR tarantulas are fairly common, their bite is somewhat painful -- akin to a mild bee sting -- but harmless. The only way to get bitten by a tarantula is if you were to inadvertently step on one (though that would likely kill it before it could bite you) barefooted, forcefully pick one up and startle it or push down on it while it was on your arm, leg or hand. Tarantulas are shy and not prone to bite. They are extremely beneficial pest control as they eat cockroaches, crickets, centipedes, and mice. 

If you encounter one just leave it alone and it will leave you alone. If you wish to remove it from a room gently coax it out slowly with a broom but be careful so as not to hurt it. They are delicate.

TikiIslandByrdMan
Welcome to the forum and nice informative post.  We see them all the time in our neighborhood.
Do you live here in the DR.
Maybe introduce yourself in the New Members thread.
Bob K

Hey Bob K,

For all members TikiIslandByrdMan = Renn Loren.
Melinda and I had dinner with you and Pat at El Conte back in October.
Thanks

Hi .
We'll be moving in a few months to Jarabacoa, and need every kind of help imaginable. To start with, transporting household items (furnishings, clothes, etc... )  and where to store it till we acquire desirable living (unfurnished) apartment or home.  After that, there's all kinds of questions. Shopping for groceries and other necessary items. Medical care, and health insurance, of course, not to mention car insurance. Please don't laugh, but here in the States I've had 4 car accident,  not a one was my fault and I've heard some scary stories about driving there.
Also, since we will be retiring and living there permanently, we need info other residency, banking, you name it. I'm sure I've left many other topics out. You could say that moving after decades of living in the US, is a bit mind boggling!

Welcome to the island.  One thing that I can guarantee is that you won't get bored. Just take it a step at a time. You soon will be deluged witn information & answers to all your needs.  Start reading threads on those subjects.  Learn Spanish, it will grease the skids of life here.

Launica Welcome.
Wow quite a list.  Have you visited here before as a non tourist?  Why Jarabacoa?
Lots to read here.  Remember your residency process needs to start in your home country not here. Driving is lunacy many times.

Bob K

Driving is a video game! Have fun at it!

Bob, that's why I haven't slept much.
You asked why Jarabaco? My Dave doesn't speak Spanish, and it will be a way for him to ease into it. There's  an English speaking congregation there so hopefully will at least well get  to know some people. I grew up in "el Campo" surrounded by montains, so that's the second reason. We're not looking to work, so you see, we could end up just about anywhere.
I'd like to PM but I don't know how.

I sent you a PM that you hopefully can respond to.  IF not I did include my email

Bob K