Superior attitudes to wards the local hondurians

I have noticed that the expats on this forum have quite an attitude towards Hondurians like they can't drive or they are not as good as them.  Not cool makes expats sound like there are so much better than Local Hondurians.

Hi Nelson84,

Well, I would advice you to avoid creating such topics, as this will generate arguments / disputes which are not very welcome on the forum. :/ If you see any inappropriate comments on any thread, can you please use our reporting system to report it, and the team will then work it out.

Can I please remove this topic or close it now?

Thank you

That is the same attitude that people from North America have about there fellow drivers.

i am chosing to live in another country because i want to be a part of that country... that means I want to behave in a manner that will make me a welcome part of my new life. If someone has any other attitude, they may need to rethink their move.

That would be "Hondurans" without the "i".    I may make fun of how provincial Hondurans are, but I have a lot of respect for how resourceful and hard-working they are. They do a lot with very little. I think the problem lies with North Americans who move to C.A. and then immediately sequester themselves in their own "Little America". They don't learn the language or culture, make no effort to meet and get to know people and generally try to pretend that the Hondurans don't exist.  They want all the comfort and familiarity of their home country. We lived there for 2 years and constantly worked at meeting people, learning the language and living as much like the natives as possible.

http://www.askipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/honduras-flag.jpg

I too agree. It's nice to be able to afford a housekeeper, luxurious. I don't like the typical Americans that have the [Dave Chapel Attitude] thinking to themselves, "I'm rich *" ..and that they are somehow more important or better than others.

People that know nothing of the culture and simply think they can move here, pick another place. Honduras is not a vacation home or retirement destination it is beautiful Honduras. If the drivers are crazy it's only because what you know living in the states is your perception and things are different in different places.

It's not very safe for white people to come to Honduras as a tourist, as I am constantly told to be safe or how people have been robbed or killed. If you don't speak spanish or you are not wanting to be a part of the culture then there's no reason to live like an American in someone elses country.

Honduras is wonderful and I enjoy being a member of the community. I come from the united states and have been arounds latin culture, food, language and women for many years having many relationships with hispanic friends, families, communities, coworkers and more. I have liked being "mexican" more than following the teachings of american society so it was an easy switch. It was very easy for me to belong because I know how different the lifestyles can be and living with less or in my eyes more is a lot better than having the need of an oversized car, big house, gadgets, name brands or other american brain washing. You really dont need to buy all that junk and life is better without it. We live simple here, using just enough to get by and having to go to the town for most everything especially vegetables.

Some foreign readers may not be aware that there are communities of English-speaking Hondurans (or Honduraneans, as they're called here in Cayman) living in the Bay Islands, with family ties to native Caymanians. A hundred years or so ago, fishermen sometimes used to have a family in each place. The Bay Islands were colonised from Cayman and Jamaica, and were under British control for some years in the 1800s. Wikipedia's entry on the Islands is interesting.

I've not been down there, but my wife has been diving off Roatan, and loved it.