Teaching in HK with a family

Hi there!!
I am currently looking at the possibility of moving to Hong Kong and working as a teacher.
I am married znd my wife and I have 2 young boys (26 months and 10 months old).

In your opinions, would it be possible to live and enjoy life on my wage alone. I read that the average wage of a teacher in HK is 550000HKD.

Ideally we would live in a 3-bed flat and live a comfortable but certainly not flash lifestyle!!

Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi
That will certainly be a challenge with that level of remuneration.

A 3-bedroom will be no less than HK$25k / month (and not in the best area). With two kids at home you'll need c. HK$20k/m to live and pay for the food, transportation, etc. That's all of your HK$550k/y and you haven't even started paying for kindergarten or medical insurance. I don't know how long you want to stay here but in three years time when your babies will enter school it will be impossible for you to pay for it.

Hong Kong - like many locations in Asia - is a place where young parents typically both work, leaving the responsibility of babies to a house employee. That's how things work here.

Mars2012hk,

Thank you for your message. We thought that my wife might need to work as well but I was just seeking clarification.

In your opinion, what would be a good combined wage for 2 adults to earn in order to live a comfortable lifestyle in Hong Kong. Ideally we would like to be able to;

Live in 3-bedroom accommodation in a OK/Good part of town with good transport links
Eat out once a week or every other week
Do things as a family at the weekend
Save enough money to fly home every year or have a holiday somewhere
Generally, have a good lifestyle without having too many money issues.

I appreciate that this is very subjective to what we are wanting to do but a rough estimate would be very much appreciative.

Thank you.

Hi
The answer of course depends on your lifestyle but finger in the air I'd say HK$ 70k / mo minimum. Your life will be more comfortable with 75+ grant per month.

Hi GS_82,

HK is famous for its small size flats. Since you are from England, HK apartment size should not be too big a problem for you. You may like to check out rental prices from this website. It has English and very up-to-date info.  - rent.591.com.hk

HK has very good transportation system. I do not where your work place will be. But wherever it will be, I would suggest to live in NT area such as Ma On Shan where 3 berm is around 20K+. Ma On Shan area has many different transport options to go to any part of HK with very minimum or even no exchange required, in fact, that's most of the people ( esp with families ) are doing nowadays. Husband may need to travel a bit longer to get to work but over the weekend everyone may have a more relax life in NT where you may find more outdoor activities.

Schools for kids in Ma On Shan / Shatin area is not a problem too. You have both public and private schools of your choice. Believe-it-or-not, some of the famous international schools are there. Btw, are not your children's tuition fees covered by your employer?

Try to look for estates above or near MTR stations such as Sunshine Cities / Bayshore Towers / Lake Silver. These above MTR properties usually have a shopping mall and supermarkets attached to it. Bus stations are nearby too.

At the best !!!

PS.. Happy to help if you need more info 😉