9000RM offered for Sr. Software Engr in KL

Hi All,

I'm James, I'm from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Today I've received an job offer from a Malaysian Company for the role of Sr. Software Engr. I'm in a fix on what I should do. That's why I am posting this with a hope that you'll be able to give me good advice on this.

Currently my role is also sr. s/w engr with salary of 5900RM/month in BD (Take home salary). This Malaysian Company has offered me 9000RM/Month (Not take home salary, need to deduct the tax). Is this a good salary for a sr. s/w engr. I've 6.5 years of XP in software development. Personally I'm interested about this job since it'll give me a chance to work in a different country with better standard of life. But I've become really concerned after reading various posts from this forum.

In BD I am able to save around 2700-3200RM/month. Will I be able to do so? For now I'll go alone. And after 7/8 months I've plan to bring my wife. Will that be possible?

In terms of various things related to COL, here's what I think
- I'm interested on a single room. It can be in the suburb provided it has good transport facility
- Main transport purpose is to goto office and return. Office is located at Damansara
- Not interested in cooking. Probably gonna buy food
- Internet is required, TV not interested
- Basic utilities
- Interested in gym and swimming pool
- Very basic cell phone user
- Watch movie Once/ Twice a month
- Not interested in sharing room or such

Given the above avg. requirements, how much it would cost me to live a normal life?

The company has agreed to pay for my visa sponsorship, air fair, medical insurance (after the probation period) but not for my wife. Is this normal or varies from company to company? If I take my wife with me after couple of months, will she be eligible to work?

Is it unsafe to live in suburb?

I'm so confused. Should I take this opportunity or skip it? Please help me to make a decision

Thanks

Thank you for your comment Gravitas. Much appreciated

So the location is at Lorong Dungun, Bukit Damansara. Based on that what might be a good place to live or where should I look? Preferably some place that has tube, subway option.

Gravitas can you please give me an estimated expense breakdown based on the requirements I posted earlier?

And would you suggest to take the offer for 9000RM/Month?

Thanks

Hi Gravitas,

Thanks for your feedback. It surely gonna help me to finalise my decision

Regards

I imagine you maybe already decided about your move.
You will have great difficulties saving 2-3K with 9,000RM salary, as cost of living is quite high and especially if you need to deduce your income taxes from this salary. I guess you can live on 9K if your are single and if you are living modestly, but of course it also depends what is your lifestyle and habits at the moment.
If you are coming because you want to work abroad and get experience then why not!
For a room, you will need 1.5K/month. A flat to rent in suburb is 2K-2.5K minimum (careful electricity is very expensive here, could be easily 500 a month, internet, cable TV, mobile phone 500 altogether...). There is no tube in KL, but a monorail network only limited to downtown KL, which won't be useful if you decide to live in suburb to save money.
Buses and public transportation are  cheap but not reliable and suffer traffic jams during rush hour from 7:30-10am and 5-8pm.
So, if you want to come to make money and save at least 3K, this is not a good enough deal. If you want the experience and do not have too high expectations, then it makes sense.

Salary too low and with MYR falling you will struggle to save much.Considering you save a lot now you are mad to consider moving unless there are other long term benefits like career advancement. KL is very expensive more like western city than Asian. And inflation will get worse now.