Case Processing times for applications in the Philippines

Hello everyone!

I came across this forum when I was looking online for information on family reunification visa for Filipino applicants. My husband is a former Filipino but he is a now a Norwegian citizen. We have been married for 5 years now after 5 years of being in a relationship for a total of 10 years of being together. I have been to Norway once as a tourist for 2 and half months. I have a Bachelor´s degree with Masteral units.

1. Could it be that the length of your relationship or being together a factor for your visa approval?
2. If I didn´t submit photos (because I was not aware about it as it was not in the checklist) will it also affect the decision?
3. Is the applicant´s educational background also a factor for approval of the visa?

I hope somebody can give their opinion or experiences regarding my questions. I submitted my application at VFS Makati just over a week ago and I know it´s too early to freak out but I just can´t help it. LOL

Your opinions and assumptions are appreciated. Thank you! :)

I think you can relax a bit more about your application. From the facts that you shared you have a high chance of getting approved as long as you met all the requirements.

1. They do check the length of the relationship to see how genuine it is. But be aware that there were many applicants who new their partner for less than a year, got married, applied for visa and got approved.

2. Visa application to Norway doesn't require photos (unless maybe they asked but I've never heard of anyone asked for this lately), unlike other countries. So rest assured that this is not a big factor on you application.

3. Educational background can affect applying while in Norway because it is part of the criteria to be allowed to change status here. But it is not a fixed factor for them since they are aware that not everyone had the opportunity to study or prioritized studying.

In my opinion it will be just like any other application whether married to a Norwegian or same nationalities. And you can worry a little less compared to others especially your husband was a Filipino too. More proof that you married him not for convenience and the length of your relationship is long enough to prove it's true.

I'm guessing it might be taking a while because:
- there are many applicants with the same visa as yours
-like other applicants with Norwegian husbands, yours might be treated like theirs because your husband is a Norwegian citizen now
-they had to run through your husband's records because changed nationality, (they double check the legalities of his entry, stay in Norway and some of his family information he shared during his applications making sure you aren't related)

You'd be lucky to be approved under a year, just be a little more patient and you will get the results eventually. Best of luck to your application :)

Hello everyone
My girlfriend, her sister, mother and niece applied for tourist visa last Tuesday
However, the flight is already late next Thursday!
The reason for this really tight schedule is because the first letter with invitations and guarantee documents for my gf and mother I sent almost 3 weeks ago didn't arrive until yesterday despite us being told it would only take 9-12 days :sosad:

So last week I had to send with DHL. Should have done this immediately  :(

Now, from our experience, my gf has visited Norway 5 times, and every time, the visa took only 2-4 days to process. However, we called VFS today and they said that the embassy is quite busy these days :sosad:

It's also that this will be the first time her mother, sister and daughter will apply for Norwegian visa. All of them has strong connection to Philippines though. Sister is filthy rich, owns alot of property, runs a general merchandise business, has many millions in net worth and owns 2 cars, Mother owns a house and works in daughter's business, and the niece attends at a pricey private school.

Have you ever experienced that your tourist visa application took more than 5 days? Or can we calm ourselves down and be positive that it will get approved this coming Monday or Tuesday? Because I'm so stressed that this might fail :( As I've heard a few stories where it took 10-15 days :(

:(  OMG

Hi Stephy,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, it sure cleared a lot of things from my mind. My husband and I are quite positive that I will be approved given the veracity of our documents. However, we don't know what's on the mind of the embassy people it's their call after all. Ugh, the waiting time is killing me! 😂

Hi@emiville,I submitted my application few days ago and now am already starting to be anxious bout the decision.i didnt receive any confirmation email so Iam wondering if u have received any.thank you and hope we could update each other bout out applications.Good luck go us both😊

After 7 weeks of agony, I finally got approved.  :D Yay, Oslo here I come.  :lol: @elingra i hope you will receive your good news soon. Keep ur fingers crossed.  ;)

@emiville congratulations and have a safe flight 😊

To the others still waiting, best of luck and I hope you get your results soon too.

Congratulations Emiville!😊😊my agony has just started but good to hear that you got your visa already and in a short span of time(though of course even a week seems so long)hope I will get the same positive result with my application.God bless!

Hello, I will be soon submitting requirements to vfs manila. Just wonder if have anyone experienced submitting scanned guarantee form and invitation for tourist visa? Actually, my bf asked the embassy and they said it will be ok because they know how slow mail is. thank you

Hi, I think it's better to submit original udi form with police stamp. But since you already asked if it's okay then you can try. :)

Hi. Is there same case like mine here. I was thinking to apply family immigration next year but my husband income last year is from the unemployment. But he has job now and his salary is above income base one the income requirements. Is it possible for me to apply or they don't accept unemployment income from the previous year? Thanks. I hope someone reply.

Yes, scanned documents will do as long as the stamp from the police is visible.

Thanks for the reply. I dont need to hesitate then. 😊

Caren 1

I think it states there that the sponsor must not have received any social security benefits during the last 12 months. So you might have to wait until your husband can show that he has not gotten any benefits from the last 12 months.

Magniko wrote:

Hello everyone
My girlfriend, her sister, mother and niece applied for tourist visa last Tuesday
However, the flight is already late next Thursday!
The reason for this really tight schedule is because the first letter with invitations and guarantee documents for my gf and mother I sent almost 3 weeks ago didn't arrive until yesterday despite us being told it would only take 9-12 days :sosad:

So last week I had to send with DHL. Should have done this immediately  :(

Now, from our experience, my gf has visited Norway 5 times, and every time, the visa took only 2-4 days to process. However, we called VFS today and they said that the embassy is quite busy these days :sosad:

It's also that this will be the first time her mother, sister and daughter will apply for Norwegian visa. All of them has strong connection to Philippines though. Sister is filthy rich, owns alot of property, runs a general merchandise business, has many millions in net worth and owns 2 cars, Mother owns a house and works in daughter's business, and the niece attends at a pricey private school.

Have you ever experienced that your tourist visa application took more than 5 days? Or can we calm ourselves down and be positive that it will get approved this coming Monday or Tuesday? Because I'm so stressed that this might fail :( As I've heard a few stories where it took 10-15 days :(

Hey, gotta do an update for this just to assure everyone...
It went all fine! My gf and her mother was approved on the Monday after. However, the sister and niece wasn't approved yet, and that was because her bank statements were incomplete, which wasn't announced until the evening. She submitted it after the embassy had closed, but late Tuesday, it was still said that the statement was incomplete as the bank wouldn't provide full statement from the current month without a special request. Ugh how incompetent  :mad:
So we all got so nervous about it and submitted again, making sure this was absolutely complete.
And luckily enough, the day after, ergo the day before departure, their applications were approved!

So we all could breath out in relief for the stressing agony we had to endure!  :lol:

Is unemployment benefit is part of social security benefits?

Caren 1

No it is not. Social security benefit is different. But benefit support from NAV for unemployment is not recognized as income. Plus if you will apply this year, your husband has to show his 2017 income which includes unemployment support. That could be a problem. Better ask UDI for more info about it. :)

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : post deleted - upon request of the initiator

Did you apply for spouse visa or fiancee visa? I guess the UDI is looking into the length of time that you and your partner know each other.

I applied for spouse visa my fiance want me to stay there long thats why we applied for spouse visa and we went to the embassy in manila and ask for some advice and they suggested that we better apply for spouse visa... Its ok to wait then as long as they will grant my visa 😢

I hope they will not consider the length we are both old i am 39 and my boyfriend is 47 😢 my boyfriend also called UDI and asked if i can apply tourist visa while waiting for my spouse visa but they said its not because i might not come back 😂

Oh i thought spouse visa or family reunification visa is only for married couple/cohabitant?

Oops sorry  engaged visa ....Am going to get married in Norway (engaged)  sorry wrong type 😂😂😂😂..

Yes, that's the fiancé visa. 😊

I was like laughing at myself because i keep saying  and thinking the spouse visa  the whole day 😂😂

Good day everyone! I'd like to seek some advice and ask some questions regarding our current situation.
We are going to apply for fiancée visa this coming month in Philippines.
Any reply will be much appreciated!
I am 21 y/o and my boyfriend is 22, we have been together for over 4 years now and for the past 3 years, I have been going back and forth from Norway under tourist/girlfriend visa which lasts for 90 days. It has been 6 times that I have been in Norway, 90 days each visit.
My boyfriend is studying computer engineering in a univeristy and has a part time job. He is making sure that he will have the required minimum income for the guarantee.
Is there anyone here that has same experience or knows someone that has almost same story and if so, is there anything you can advice?
I would also like to ask how long do you think it would take for the fiancée visa to get granted or how long it usually takes for cases like this.

Thank you for any respond :)
God bless !

Maemi1524

Hi Mae! You might want to check the age requirement for getting a fiancee visa. I am sure it will be helpful :)https://www.udi.no/en/important-message … in-norway/

I think this rule only applies to muslims, not Norwegians and Europeans/Americans/Latinos/Asians

Hi Khea Johnson, that only applies for people who's from countries that force marriage is practiced such as muslim countries.

Hi Maemi1524

You may have to check it again as it seems to apply to all except if you are qualified of such exception.  I have a filipino friend who has issues with this rule right now bcoz he is 23. Not really sure how this rule works to be honest because it is a new one. Lol :/

But both Philippines and Norway are not cultures that practice forced marriages
Besides, the applicant and reference person have differing cultures which is one of the qualifications for exemption. Both these conditions are fulfilled in this case

Who cannot be given an exemption?
You will normally not be given an exemption from the requirement to be at least 24 years old if

--you both have a background from countries/areas/ethnic groups where Norwegian authorities have experienced that forced marriages occur, for example Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, India, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, China (only Uyghurs and Tibetans), Libya, Morocco, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Russia (only Chechens), Somalia, Sri Lanka, Stateless, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, West-Sahara, Yemen, or
--the UDI has other reasons to believe that you might be vulnerable to forced marriage
Who can be exempted from the requirement?

The UDI can most likely give you an exemption from the requirement to be at least 24 years old if

--one of you, or you both, have a background from a country where Norwegian authorities believe it is very unlikely that someone can be the victim of a forced marriage, or
--Norwegian authorities believe it is very unlikely that you are victims of forced marriage, for example because you are a same-sex couple, or the two of you have different cultural or religious backgrounds.

Requirement to be at least 24 years old in applications for family immigration - UDI
The law is actually not that old, maybe for those engaged, but for spouses and cohabitants, it has been there since 2017

stephy25 wrote:

I think you can relax a bit more about your application. From the facts that you shared you have a high chance of getting approved as long as you met all the requirements.

1. They do check the length of the relationship to see how genuine it is. But be aware that there were many applicants who new their partner for less than a year, got married, applied for visa and got approved.

2. Visa application to Norway doesn't require photos (unless maybe they asked but I've never heard of anyone asked for this lately), unlike other countries. So rest assured that this is not a big factor on you application.

3. Educational background can affect applying while in Norway because it is part of the criteria to be allowed to change status here. But it is not a fixed factor for them since they are aware that not everyone had the opportunity to study or prioritized studying.

In my opinion it will be just like any other application whether married to a Norwegian or same nationalities. And you can worry a little less compared to others especially your husband was a Filipino too. More proof that you married him not for convenience and the length of your relationship is long enough to prove it's true.

I'm guessing it might be taking a while because:
- there are many applicants with the same visa as yours
-like other applicants with Norwegian husbands, yours might be treated like theirs because your husband is a Norwegian citizen now
-they had to run through your husband's records because changed nationality, (they double check the legalities of his entry, stay in Norway and some of his family information he shared during his applications making sure you aren't related)

You'd be lucky to be approved under a year, just be a little more patient and you will get the results eventually. Best of luck to your application :)

Hi,
I agree with you about the length of relationship since that is one of the most important factors that they are going to look for.
About pictures,even though they didn't put it in their checklist it is always helpful to include some pics of you together with him and with your family or his. I did that in my application,some filipina friends here also did the same thing (cannot be proved but it may help).

But about the educational background is what I disagree,regardless of your education they will still give you an approval once you met the main requirements they asked. I have no degrees or whatsoever,just a highschool graduate and nothing more but still been approved for only 2 weeks.

Mostly those who are being pending are either been here to Norway as a tourist that exceeds 90 days.
Because in that case they will ask the politi here for a certification.
Others are depends on the case,if the sponsor has been unemployed,low income or been in social benefits.
Never heard yet about filipino turned norwegian case since I didn't know any pinoy yet here,mostly females that are married to norwegians.

Just a quick tip,complete all the requirements they asked for,include some pictures.
Documents like bc,marriage contract and kid's bc should be red ribboned.
Have every documents copied clearly,and 1x1 and 2x2 pics should be recent.
(It is expensive to do it in the embassy LOL)

@ Bjem :
hi  i wanna ask if what proof have you sent to VFS  that you were coming back home with your kid on a tourist visa?

I posted a reply in the separate thread you created :)

Hello everyone,

I just had my tourist visa approved. The flight itinerary that I submitted to the embassy or the travel dates I mentioned on my application is July 6- Aug 3. By the way, the flight itinerary I submitted was through an agency just for visa purposes.

Now my boyfriend who booked the flight for me, accidentally booked July 6- Aug 4. Will that be a problem? On my visa though, it say duration of stay is 35 days. Will that be okay?

Anyone who experienced this situation? Will appreciate all your pieces of advise.

Thanks!

Dianey07 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just had my tourist visa approved. The flight itinerary that I submitted to the embassy or the travel dates I mentioned on my application is July 6- Aug 3. By the way, the flight itinerary I submitted was through an agency just for visa purposes.

Now my boyfriend who booked the flight for me, accidentally booked July 6- Aug 4. Will that be a problem? On my visa though, it say duration of stay is 35 days. Will that be okay?

Anyone who experienced this situation? Will appreciate all your pieces of advise.

Thanks!

Hi I don't think there is a problem with that. Usually you will be granted a visa longer than you applied for in case things happens. So as for me that is not a problem at all.

Thank you! I am now relieved. 😊 God bless!

Dianey07 wrote:

Thank you! I am now relieved. 😊 God bless!

Your welcome and have a nice trip and vacation here in Norway! ☺️

Tusen takk 😊 looking forward to my sommer ferie i Norge. 😊