Movng down to the Baja permanently

Hi,

My name is Bob Lamb and I'm ;80 in a couple of months.  My late wife and I moved out
to New Mexico 20 years ago and spent some of the best years of our life. 
She has passed and I[m free to do the things I've always liked best.  Mountain Climbing,
fishing, Hiking.  I still bicycle, but find the other things are too much for me  and I just
am looking for a small place to catch up  on my reading and bicycle and meet people.
It is the last adventure that I'll probably ever take and I am looking forward to it.
Visited Ensenada about 60 years ago when it was a sleepy little village. From  what
I gather, it is no longer.
Say hello and advice is always welcome.

Bob :cheers:

If you haven't been in Baja for a while you're going to be surprised.  First of all the whole Ensenada area is heavily populated with expats and Mexicans; second, due to the entire state of Baja being in draught as with everywhere else on the West Coast, is is very dry and dusty and lack of water is a big issue here and temps this summer have been in the 80's & 90's depending on the area.  So I would do some serious research and visit the area before you move here esp. if you haven't been in a long time. 
I've lived in TJ/Rosarito and now the Ensenada area and I'm leaving here as soon as the weather cools down to the mainland where there is not so much dirt, cooler weather, more rain and less expats (which means lower cost of living).

Thanks for your advice.  The temps there are better than they have been here for the past
two months.  Nr 100 everyday and 50 Humidity.  I didn't realize the drought conditions were
so extensive.  I have been in water scarcity situation before and will not go there again.  I was
also considering somewhere on the mainland sea of Cortez..  Hope your move will be
a good one..
Thanks again
Bob

If you look at any website with draught statistics you will see that the entire West Coast including Mexico is in the red zone.  The problem is there are too many people here in Baja and not enough water.  Many places in Ensenada require that you have water trucked in and placed in a cistern (at your cost).  Many places in Ensenada use sea water in the water mains or taps.  There is a desalinization plant being built here which means water will become expensive once it is in operation.  Also many houses/apartments here were built for cooler weather so you'll find many places with flat roofs have higher than normal temps inside due to the type of construction which means you could have a $200USD or higher monthly CFE bill during the summer.