New Indonesian Health Insurance Laws

On July 17th 2015 The Indonesian authorities activated their decisions made in the previous years (2008 on) governing Insurance.

This is a new law.

International Health Insurance polices can only be sold by local brokers and agents if the policies they are marketing are compliant to the requirement.
See below

“Insurance objects located in Indonesia can only be insured by insurance companies licensed with the Financial Services Authority (Otoritas Jasa Keuangan) (OJK),   
Financial Services Authority (Otoritas Jasa Keuangan) (OJK).

Very few International policies on the market here comply with this law. 

It is strongly recommended that you obtain written confirmation from your Insurance representative that the policy they are selling is compliant, as this is now a consideration in the issuance of visa's for people resident over 6 months on KITS. KITP. Retirement visas etc.

NB: The BPJS National Insurance system is valid for Indonesian citizens and foreigners holding a KITS. KITP  visa who hold a Work Permit, a Tax number and are enrolled in the National Social Security Program for manpower (SJSN)

There is a PDF available giving a full summary of the various changes and alterations to visa's, labour laws, Insurance etc and all aspects affecting Expats in Indonesia. We will email it to any one who would like to receive a copy as we cannot attach it here

No need to attach it.....just copy/paste the link here so everybody can have a look if interested

Below is a document explaining the requirements of the Ministry explaining the requirements of the law announced on July 17th 2015

Of particular interest for KIT S holders, or those applying for KIT S,  in this conversation thread, is the stipulation that any Health Insurance policy must be issued by an Insurer that is compliant with Indonesian law.
Under the heading "Individual Requirements for Foreign Workers"  point (v) below

In the case of foreign Insurance companies a formal written agreement with a local Insurer is required.  Apparently many/most of the overseas Insurers do not have this arrangement in place. It would be wise to request a formal confirmation from the broker or Insurance company that is selling the Policy that the foreign insurance company has this agreement in place 

WORK PERMIT IN ACCORDANCE WITH INDONESIAN LAW (UPDATE)
(Minister of Manpower Regulation No. 16 Year 2015 re The Procedures To Employ Foreign Worker)

I.    GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
(i)    The ratio foreign worker to Indonesian worker is 1:10.
(ii)    Employer that has the form of: persekutuan perdata, Persekutuan Firma (Fa), Persekutuan Komanditer (Commanditaire Vennootschap or CV), Usaha Bersama/Associate (UB), Usaha Dagang (UD) and Koperasi is not allowed to employ a foreign worker unless regulated otherwise under specific laws.
(iii)    The employer is required to appoint an Indonesian co-worker as associate (pendamping) who will succeed the foreign worker in the future.
(iv)    Obligation to pay the Foreign Worker Employment Compensation Fund (DPK-TKA) in the amount of US$ 100 per month in advance (except for government institutions, international agencies, diplomats, social and religious institutions).
(v)    A foreign worker can only work in one (1) position in a company (except for members of BOD and BOC of a PT or the Trustees, the Management and the Supervisors of a Yayasan).
Remarks

•    Points (i) and (iii) do not apply to:

a.    Members of the Board of Directors (BOD) or Board of Commissioners (BOC) of an Indonesian limited liability company (PT).
b.    Members  of  the  Trustees,  the  Management  and  the  Supervisors  of Indonesian Foundation (Yayasan).
c.    Employee for a job that is an “emergency” and “urgent” in nature.
d.    Employee    for    the    temporary    employment.    Types    of    temporary employment:

1)    Providing guidance, counseling, and training in the application and innovation of industrial technology for improving the quality and design of industrial products as well as overseas  marketing cooperation for Indonesia;
2)    Filming of a commercial nature that has obtained permission from the competent authority;
3)    Giving lectures;
4)    Attending a meeting that is held by the head office or representatives in Indonesia;
5)    Conducting audits, production quality control, or inspection at the company's branch in Indonesia;
6)    Foreign worker in training program for his/her working capabilities; and
7)    Works to be performed and completed at once; and
8)    A work related to the installation of machinery, electrical, after-sales service, or product during the exploratory time for the business.

Employee for impresario services (entertainment services or workers in the field of arts and sports).

II.    INDIVIDUAL REQUIREMENTS (FOREIGN WORKER)
(i)    Having   formal   education   to   hold   work   position   (formal   academic certificate).
(ii)    Having certificate of competence or experiences of at least 5 (five) years in relation to the work position that shall be held.
(iii)    Statement Letter by employee to transfer his/her skills to the appointed Indonesian co-worker (pendamping).
(iv)    Having Indonesian Taxpayer Number (NPWP), if the foreigner works in Indonesia for more than six (6) months.
(v)    Having    insurance   policy   from   the   insurance    company    that incorporated in Indonesia.Registration  in  the  Indonesian  Social  Security  Program  (BPJS), if foreigner works in Indonesia for more than six (6) months.

Remarks

Points (i), (ii) and (iii) do not apply to:
a.    Members of the BOD or BOC of PT.
b.    Members  of  the  Trustees,  the  Management  and  the  Supervisors  of Yayasan.
c.    Employee for a job that is an “emergency” and “urgent” in nature.
d.    Employee for a temporary employment.
e.    Employee for impresario services.

III.    OTHER REQUIREMENTS (BASED ON THE WORK PERMITS)
No.    Permits
    Requirements
1    Manpower Utilization Plan    (Rencana Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing or RPTKA).    a.    Should be applied online to the Director General of Manpower Placement Development (Direktur Jenderal Pembinaan Penempatan Tenaga Kerja).
b.    Duly completed RPTKA form.
c.    Points (i) to (vi) of the Individual Requirements.
d.    Deed of Incorporation and its ratification including the amendments.
e.    The employer's business permit  from the relevant Indonesian Government body.
f.    Recommendation of Position to be held by the foreign worker from technical institution if needed (particular positions).
g.    Company Domicile Letter.
h.    Company Taxpayer Registration Number (NPWP).
i.    Company's    organizational    structure
scheme.
j.    Assignment Letter of Indonesian co- worker (pendamping), who will succeed the foreign worker and its training plan program.
k.    Annual Manpower Report (Wajib Lapor Ketenagakerjaan)  in  accordance  with Law No. 7 Year 1981.

Remarks

•    Types of RPTKA:

1)    General RPTKA (maximum five (5) years and extendable);
2)    RPTKA for “emergency” and “urgent” works (maximum one (1) month and cannot be extended);
3)    RPTKA for temporary employment (maximum six (6) months and cannot be extended);
4)    RPTKA in Special Economic Area (KEK), Free Trade Area and Free Port (regulated in the specific regulation);
5)    RPTKA for Ocean Area (regulated in the specific regulation);
6)    RPTKA for impresario services; and
7)    RPTKA  for  karaoke  guide  (maximum  six  (6)  months  and  cannot  be extended).

•    RPTKA should be extended at the latest thirty (30) business days before its expiration.

•    Point (j) and some of the Individuals Requirements ((i),(ii) and (iii)) do not
apply to:

a.    Members of the BOD or BOC of PT.
b.    Members  of  the  Trustees,  the  Management  and  the  Supervisors  of Yayasan.
c.    Employee for a job that is “emergency” and “urgent” in nature.
d.    Employee for a temporary employment.
Employee for impresario services.

2    Permit    To    Employ Foreign  Worker  (Izin Mempekerjakan Tenaga  Kerja  Asing or IMTA)    a.    Should be applied online to the Director of Utilization Foreign Worker Control (Direktur Pengendalian Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing).
b.    Proof of payment of DKP-TKA.
c.    Ratification of RPTKA decision.
d.    Passport of the foreign worker.
e.    4 x 6 cm color photograph.
f.    Points (i) to (vi) of the Individual Requirements;
g.    Employment agreement (draft or executed version).
h.    Assignment Letter of Indonesian co- worker (pendamping), who will succeed the foreign worker and its training plan program.
i.    Recommendation of Position to be held by the foreign worker from technical institution if needed (particular positions).
j.    Deed of Incorporation and its ratification including the amendments (apply only for BOD, BOC of PT or the Trustees, the Management and the Supervisors of Yayasan).

Remarks

•    IMTA is also applied for the BOD and BOC members of PT or Trustees, Managements and Supervisors members of Yayasan, who are domiciled abroad.

•    The members of BOD and BOC of PT or Trustees, Managements and Supervisors of Yayasan should obtain IMTA as of the issuance date of the ratification of his/her appointment.

•    The General IMTA is valid for a term of not more than one (1) year and maximum two (2) years for BOD and BOC members of the PT or Trustees, Managements and Supervisors members of the Yayasan (extendable).

•    IMTA shall be the basis for filing:

a.    Visa Approval Recommendation;
b.    Limited Stay Permit (ITAS);
c.    Conversion of the Visiting Stay Permit (ITK) to become ITAS;
d.    Conversion of the ITAS to become Permanent Stay Permit (ITAP); and
e.    Extension of ITAP.

•    IMTA should be extended at the latest thirty (30) business days before its expiration.

•    Point h and some of the Individuals Requirements ((i),(ii) and (iii)) do not apply to:

a.    Position of members of the BOD or BOC of PT.
b.    Position   of   members   of   the   Trustees,   the   Management   and   the Supervisors of Yayasan.
c.    Employed for a job that is “emergency” and “urgent” in nature.
d.    Employed for a temporary employment.
e.    Employed for impresario services.

The employer that has obtained the IMTA, should report to the Head of Manpower Department in the location of the foreign worker employed at the latest seven (7) days after the commencement of the employment.

•    The employer is obliged to make a report for utilization  of the foreign worker to the Head of Manpower Department in the location of the foreign worker employed, that contains:

a.    Realization  of  the  training  program  for  the  Indonesian  co-worker periodically once in six (6) months; and
b.    End of the utilization of the foreign worker.

Can I get a copy of the PDF explaining this

Is the BPJS reliable? Or is it an addition to private insurance that should be considered? I even heard it is or going to be compulsory for Kitas/Kitap/Working Visa holders?

Does anybody have info on this?
There are a lot of fals info going around..

Thanks

**** please- just doing my family KITAS this week converting from vitas. Cheers

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Was seeking straight forward health insurance as a family KITAS holder for the wife and 2 kids 😊

Prudential do insurance for expats and children and you can dictate costs and terms. It takes a year to be fully covered. You could also try AXA or sigma or something close to that word.

I am not recommending Prudential or any others but it's one I am familiar with

One of the better known companies bug me a lot because they hang around in malls trying to push their services but by means I dislike.
Apart from family time being interrupted and them stopping me when I have better things to do (That's basically anything than talk to them), they ask you how much you want to spend rather than suggest levels of cover with the costs involved.
I immediately get defensive, telling them I'm not going to discuss it  unless they give me a rundown on what I get for the silly money they ask for, but they never will so I bugger off even if they're mid excuse.
Seriously, the last one started at ten million/month but refused to explain what cover was available for that stupid layout.

Watch out - there are con jobs out there.

Back in the real world, pop to a local hospital and see which insurers they accept for admissions. Ask them which companies are the least hassle and you'll find the expat insurance groups aren't in the top ten.

Then buy from the ones the hospitals recommend, and you'll find most suggest the same people.
You'll also find the cover is just as good but you pay less for the service.
As a note, the annoying one in the malls is never recommended by the hospitals.

Another thing to be careful of.
Some health providers sell insurance but it's only good in their hospitals, meaning you're stuck if you get dragged somewhere else after an accident.

Good points. For anyone approaching me at malls I check what service they provide and whether the seller uses THAT service (AMEX etc). If they don't- it gets logged as a dismal fail or worse- they cop a serve from my Indo wife. She's lethal. I will check at Premiere Hospital next week- great advice- cheers

u lost me..if your insured for travel  health etc: o/s by  a company in your home place..the all u need is the hospital reciepts...and work it from there.just make sure all paperwork is right.

Nope, you need to make sure that your insurer will cover you for all costs and that you made them aware of the need to use the insurance pretty much straight away. You should also read the very small print especially looking for motor cycle helmets (or any other forms of transport or activity that require the need to wear one) and seat belts both front an back in cars public or private. If you are hurt in a car accident and claim but you were not wearing selt belt because the car didn't one, you are not covered as you took the risk not them. Most taxis here fall foul of that.
Much of the finer print is reflective of rules from a western society which sadly do not correspond with the reality of Asian life and culture.

Faris Fals wrote:

Is the BPJS reliable? Or is it an addition to private insurance that should be considered?

BPJS is a very handy system for most Indonesians as it provides cheap health cover for the masses. I have it but it's limited in many ways so a full policy is a good idea.
It's cheap and very easy to sign up for, simply filling out a form, providing a few photocopies and wait two weeks for the thing to be processed. 

I deliberately avoided all the expat insurance companies because I dislike the way they work, some hospitals dislike some of them because they're known for not paying up within a reasonable time and they tend to be crazy expensive anyway.

There are many local policies that provide good cover at far better rates, check a few out.