Living as an expat teenager in Colombo

Hi everyone !

I'm a 17 year old teenager from Belgium. Since a few years,  my parents are thinking about moving to Sri Lanka. Last year, we were staying in Galle for three months to experience life in SL for a longer time.

My parents were having the time of their life but me and my 14 year old sister were very lonely and bored. We went to Galle International College (GIC) but there are only 14 students studying there and they were all like 5 years younger than me so it was difficult to make friends.

Now, almost one year after our experience my parents decided that we are going to live permanently in Colombo. I have mixed feelings because I really like Sri Lanka, it's a beautiful, peaceful and safe country, but on the other hand I'm worried as well because I really have a good social life here in Belgium and I don't want to sit home all the time, take a walk on my own or playing sports alone.

So I'm wondering if there are some teenagers from abroad in Colombo...

Hello StanDesmet and welcome on board

I suggest you to subscribe to the Networking in Colombo section of the forum to be notified whenever other members wish for meet ups.

Regards
Kenjee

I guess a question to ask is where will you go to University? What have you discussed with your parents? Do they intend (or would it be possible) for you to study overseas? Answers to those questions may make it easier to accept their decision. It might be time to look for scholarships. You are almost an adult yourself so need to make some plans and enter into discussions about your future. I think it takes about 6-9 months to become integrated into a new society and its always easier if you do some sports activities of some kind.

Hello friend,
   I am native Sri Lankan live in Kandy.. there are lot of beautiful places you can visit in Kandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjEbh5ccB4

i can show the beauty of my Country..

Hello there, I know it's tough.  I (MOM) brought our two teenagers here to live from the USA.  We loved Sri Lanka, but the differences are huge.  If you go to one of the larger international schools here you will find a large network of teenagers in Colombo that are not raised here even if they are Sri Lankan, and therefore have many of the same issues you have (missing family, friends, places).  If you aren't going to a large school, then like others have said I would recommend joining a sporting club or youth group in a large church for finding others your age.  I have friends here from the US with teens that have just moved here this month.  My kids are now back the in the US at University... so maybe these options can help you :)