New Member - Any tips or advice where to go or not?

Good morning

I am an expat currently living in Bangkok who is very soon to be living and working in Tirana, Albania.

Although very excited I am a little apprehensive, before I commenced working in Thailand four years ago, I had the opportunity to visit and learn a little about the customs and way of life. But now it is time to spread my ageing wings and have more life experiences in other countries (that and the fact I am fed up with mosquitos).

So, if anyone has any tips or advice on where to go and where not to go, shopping, decent places to rent. A good guest house for the first few weeks. Cinema, live bands, motorcycle rental or selling. I would appreciate it. I understand the country is over 50% Muslim, are there any issues for non muslim's?

Does anyone have any suggestions towards public transport? Any problems being refused leave to stay by the SoS?

Basically any information that will help me adjust fairly quickly.

Many thanks

Hello Sibbo and welcome on board

While waiting for members to revert back I invite you to browse through the forum by Forum Categories, to the right of your screen, so as to gather some specific infos

Regards
Kenjee

Many thanks Kenjee.

Hi siboo

In few months i will be moving to albania as well. may i ask how you find work there or any suggestions you could assist with?
Im currently in Philippines and i graduated BS Social Work.

Hi Ceressa

I will be teaching English. I found the job on the internet. Currently in Thailand and making plans to leave around the 8/9th of October.

Really looking forward to it. So much history and culture, good food, decent wine. Spectacular scenery.

Hi

I have just moved to Tirana. Im a single girl (well lady) and I love it here.

Let me know when you get here and we can get together and I will tell you all I have learnt!  Its not a religious country so there are not problems as far as that is concerned.  People here are very friendly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for your reply and I appreciate the offer of help.

I will arrive on 9th October and currently have no accommodation lined up. My job is in Yrshek and ideally I would like to be within walking distance. Here in Bangkok, it is so difficult to walk anywhere. What did you do initially? I have looked on the web, but most places need to be booked through a hotel reservation website. Something I am loathe to do as I could be in such place for one or two months.

Also need help in regard to mobile phone and internet. Do you think my Lenovo smart phone will work over there, it is dual sim.

Obviously if all goes well, I will be looking for a condo.

What about grocery shopping and things like that? Over here we have Big C and Tesco and a smaller chain called Max Value. There are also the Expat supermarkets that are very expensive. So what is the cost of living like?

Regards

Gary

Hi Lisa

I have arrived in Tirana, now been here for two weeks.

So far I am finding life much better than Thailand, only drawback I am usually stuck in my apt as I have no knowledge of where to go for a social evening.

I have internet - obviously - and an Albanian cell phone number, so if you would like to meet up for a coffee somewhere, please let me know here and then we can exchange numbers.

I am teaching at Ernest Koliqi school and live near the big orthodox church.

regards

Gary :)

Hi Ceressa

How far have you got with your potential move here and how many of you will be coming?

I will be happy to try and help in any way I can.

Kind regards

Gary

hi guys
How has been your albanian adventure so far?

Did you manage to move around and try our food