Moving to Dubai - Top priorities to do

Hi I am vishnu from south India and have got a job offer in Dubai. I am recently married and have no idea about Dubai as a whole.

Appreciate if someone can advise on the priorities of things to do once i landed dubai to get settled along with my wife. I heard taking driving license is the key to survive in dubai and also i would like to know is there any fast track way to get the same. I have already got Indian driving license with 8+ years of driving experience.

About renting a house, please advise on the best apartment (of course economical) for me to live peacefully along with my wife. I do prefer family only apartments (im not an offender to bachelors). Also would prefer to have majority of Indian community clusters. 

Also my company is suggesting me to come there alone in work visa and then bring my wife after a month to get things settled. My wife prefers coming along with me in a tourist visa option. Please advise what is the best thing to do logically.

good day

I wish I could help but I am in the same boat too. in my case I have to start from scratch looking for a job and then move to Dubai if you happen to hear any information please do let me know..

Hi vishnuvardhan and vetumbuavi mv mukuambi,

Welcome to Dubai forum :)

I invite you to go through our Living in the United Arab Emirates guide, it will help you to have various information such as visa, work, schools, accommodation and so on.

Hope this helps,

Thank you

Stéphanie

there is no easy and fast way to obtain a driving license in uae, infact its the slowest most expensive process, you may try to do a VIP course which you will end up 3 times more than the normal fee, and holding an indian driving license will only shorten the number of classes, but what is most important is the mood of the final examiner, and after how many exams he can pass you..

Driving License is not priority when you move to uae, there are other important stuff you should worry about.

You may try to find an apt in karama area its full of people from india..

It's better you go alone, coz Life here is very hard at first if you dont know any one...

good luck

Thanks for this Steph. I'm just a new member here :)

A driver's license is a luxury in Dubai, and very expensive. You may also require driving school, which is expensive, as well. Also, it is very difficult to import a vehicle. You can buy a cheap car here, but it is very expensive to register it. You may rent a small car for about 1500aed per month, and use your home country driver's license, if this is within your budget.

Try and find an apartment near the Dubai Metro. The metro is an inexpensive means of transport, and Dubai has a decent bus system, as well.

It is best for your wife to follow you later. You will have a lot of stress when you first arrive here, and having to look after a wife can add to that stress.

Your employer should pay for some of your housing costs. If they do not, you are at a severe disadvantage, as rents in Dubai are astronomical.  Many people leave Dubai with less money than they had when they firat arrived.

This place can be a very sad and lonely place to live.