Teaching English in Colombia- colegio Douglas brown in Zipaquira?

Can anyone give me details information on colegio Douglas brown in Zipaquira?

I also forgot to ask if Zipa is a safe place and are negros accepted well in Colombia?

For the racial part of your post, you may know that Colombia has the biggest population of African descent of the whole Spanish speaking America. 
One thing you have to know, Colombians are very straightforward. You will be called negro more than once. But it doesn't convey any racist background. If you have fair hair, you'll be called Mono, if you're skinny you'll be called flaco, or gordo if you're chubby. Anyone remotely arabic will be called Turco (Turk). Any Asian guy will be called Chino (Chinese), even if he's Japanese, or Filipino. That's the way they are.

Most of the black population of Colombia is living on the Coasts, the Atlantic coast and the Pacific Coast. Especially the Pacific area, is considered as a poor area, with lots of social issues. So I think there is still a stigma of black population, coming from a poor area. Another interresting phonemenon is that most of the famous black Colombians are either musicians, or athletes. Not so much in politics (except maybe Piedad Cordoba) or in business.

Finally, last comment, Colombians do not follow the one drop rule. They have so many different words to describe mixed race people. If you go in a city like Cali, you'll be able to see a truly mixed race city, AND mixed group of friends.

As a summary, Colombian black people still have a stigma in the Colombian society. Colombia is a highly stratified society. With people of European descent on top of the pyramid. Look at their political class.
Don't forget though that as an African American (I guess you are a US citizen?) you will primarily be seen as an American, not as a black person.  That's something I noticed with several black Americans abroad, they are identifying themselves so much as Black that they can't understand that in a foreign country, they will primarilly be seen as a foreigner, as an American.

Thanks for replying Steve! I appreciate the short ethnicity lesson. I'm not American I'm from the Caribbean and I was invited to come and teach English in a private school in Zipa . I've heard plenty horror stories about Colombia as a minor,  but after doing some research it seems as though things have quieted a bit in the last 6-8 yrs. I am willing to go because I absolutely love teaching and I feel the same way about the Spanish language. I can't wait to speak it fluently and I believe immersion will assist with that. However, my greatest concerns are about safety and acceptance. I have absolutely no problem with any race or religion but sadly,  sometimes that's not reciprocated

You are absolutely right, Colombia is slowly recovering from very dark years. The country is now much much safer than what the media still convey about Colombia. I'd say that the level of safety in Colombia is comparable with most of the Carribean. Undoubtely safer than Jamaica, certainly less than the Dutch or French indies.

Colombians are always happy to see that foreigners come and visit their country, and are even amazed that some of them are willing to live there. You will be warmly welcomed.
Of course your personality and the way you interact with people will do a lot too. But if you are an open, friendly person, you will have absolutely no issue. Again, people will primarily see you as a foreigner before seeing a black person.

Regarding Zipaquira, I don't know the college you're talking about, I won't be able to help. Regarding the climate, well, it's the same climate as in Bogota: Between 17 to 21 C at days, around 10 at nights. Year round. Some months are sunnier (and hotter) than others, but don't forget you'll be at 2,600 meters of altitude.  It is a 100,000 inhabitants town, but Bogota is no that far away.

I am sure it will be a rewarding experience for you. You shouldn't hesitate too much provided you'll get a decent wage.

Could you give an estimate of what is a decent wage in Colombia? That Weather is going to be a bit cold!  It. doesn't even get that cold at Christmas where im from lol. I am an amiable person so I don't think it will be too hard to build rapports with the ppl I'll be around.

Steve,

You are a wealth of information and I can tell you know Colombia well. The very first time I visited Cartagena, I knew I would end up living there. Now I am at the very beginning of researching the possibilities. It's overwhelming to even think about. I'm so tired of the direction this country is going, I feel the need for change even stronger. It's good to know you are here showing support for us "newbie" soon-to-be expats. I look forward to tapping your knowledge.

@Zinzielee You'll need around 1.5 million pesos (net wage) to live a simple but still enjoyable life. 2.5 million will bring more comfort.
You may have a look at this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478603

@Moonraven Thank you! I' m trying my best to share my experience of Colombia. Don't hesitate to open a new thread if you have specific questions. Use the search function of the forum, it is a genuine gold mine.

Hey, browsing the web, I ran across an old post. Did you ever move to and teach in ZIpiquira? How was it being an expatt there?   I visited the town, only for a day, in Feb. of 2016. Thought it was lovely. 

I moved to Medellin 4 mos. ago from the states.  Great expat pop. here and lots of schools for teaching English.  I'm not too keen on the air pollution though.   Looking for other towns to try...

Best , Tedi

Zipa is a cool city. As far as I could see, it seems very safe. It's a clean city with nice people. You're making a good choice to move there. I liked the place and would definitely visit again.

I think the posters above are right. The Colombians can tend to be a bit racista with blacks and Los Indios (Native Americans), but you being from the Islands I think will give you a boost in status and how they receive you. The Colombians generally think a lot of social status, and the whiter and blonder you are, the better. But no one is going to crap on you for being black, especially a foreigner.  You'll be fine.

Post some stories about Zipa. Go see the salt mines. That's pretty cool.

cht98199 wrote:

Hey, browsing the web, I ran across an old post. Did you ever move to and teach in ZIpiquira? How was it being an expatt there?   I visited the town, only for a day, in Feb. of 2016. Thought it was lovely.

LOL damn, I just read your post and realized you bumped an old thread. :/