Your experience of culture shock in Tunisia

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Tunisia.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Hello!  I had experienced culture shock the very first time I traveled to Tunisia in 2009.  I was with my fiancé at his home with his family and his niece and nephew wanted to communicate so bad with me and they kept talking Arabic and was excited to see me.  His mother asked me certain things and pointed and I was able to nod yes or no, but I was so frustrated.  Every time when we visited, I sat there just smiling (depressing).  I was highly upset when my fiancé told me he would be back and he left with his friends and left me at the house alone for 3 hours.  The kids talking to me and I couldn't say nothing....I understood my name and that was all.

LatishaZarti wrote:

Hello!  I had experienced culture shock the very first time I traveled to Tunisia in 2009.  I was with my fiancé at his home with his family and his niece and nephew wanted to communicate so bad with me and they kept talking Arabic and was excited to see me.  His mother asked me certain things and pointed and I was able to nod yes or no, but I was so frustrated.  Every time when we visited, I sat there just smiling (depressing).  I was highly upset when my fiancé told me he would be back and he left with his friends and left me at the house alone for 3 hours.  The kids talking to me and I couldn't say nothing....I understood my name and that was all.

Perhaps it would have been good idea if you had started to take some Arabic and French classes.  In 6 years you could have been fluent.

well it's hard i know , but the are many american and english people living in tunisia , also there are many tunisians that can speak good english