Your experience of culture shock in Poland

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Poland.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

There's no crisp isle like in most supermarkets. If you want crisps of your choice, you'll probably have to get the big bags, even in the city centers. Despite that, Polish people enjoy iced tea and this is in just about every supermarket for a usual 3.99 zl
I was surprised that males may pee in public, and there are a lot of homeless people trying to sell flowers for pennies everywhere.
On the up side, most people are very kind and hard working.
The trams run every few minutes and the busses may get super crowded but they come about every 10 minutes and I've only not been able to get on once.
There are also bike paths in many areas, but be aware that they don't all connect up logically. Many people rollerblade so if you like that (like me) you won't look odd at all like you might in England.

If you're in the middle of summer or winter, make sure you have air con. I picked a place without this and the weather was pretty harsh to handle.
In Warsaw as well, there are plenty of parks with open areas to play games or skate and walk around.
Finally, the food is cheaper than many places. I've even put some brand names into my basket, even though I usually scrimp on asda price!

I moved to Poland for 4 years after only ever visiting once for a two week period. I bought a place there, had a baby there, worked...everything regarding 'life'.

I would say to others spend as much time as you need observing. Don't be concerned about not feeling ready to 'jump' into social situations or anything else for that matter. Observe and get in touch with your intuition, particularly if you don't speak Polish all that well. Your intuition can tell you a lot about what is happening when other tools, like language, fail you. Slowly face your fears...one fear at a time. Break your week into little tasks you feel you can face e.g. going to the store, driving a short distance etc. Be mindful about how many tasks you give yourself ensuring you won't burn out!

And most of all, be yourself. Be respectful, but allow yourself to be you, to carry with you your culture and all the little things that make you you. Don't try to change to fit in. Simply do what you have to to remain respectful of others and their culture whilst respecting yourself at the same time. Allow yourself mistakes and know that others around you will too.

From my experience Polish people are very welcoming when in known circles, but general society can be a bit cold, like when at the mall or an event, people tend to appear unfriendly. Just a warning. If you plan to stay a while, concentrate on finding friends or simply a routine of saying hello to certain people...neighbours etc when you are ready...

Enjoy your experience. Know that culture shock is all a part of what we sign up for when we travel and can be a very deep and rich life experience from which we grow tremendously! During your down times, remember you are strong, push past it and you will find a much better 'self' at the end for having done so.

I've never been a fan of blending in. A person is better off being him- or herself. Think about what you have to offer locals by your presence. The ways of life you bring to another country are assets.