Your experience of culture shock in Dominican Republic

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Dominican Republic.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Having lived for 20 years on St. Croix, the only culture shock  that I received upon moving to the DR was how open, friendly & hospitable the local are. The cleanliness of even the poorest was inspiring.  A far cry from the US & the USVI. A commendable change I assure you. To hear laughter walking down the streets & the music with even the process of walking is akin to a dance. Thank you Dominicans for teaching me that all the different ways of life can be truly joyful. So glad that I found you.

So funny that you say that Gypsy.  That's exactly what made me fall in love with it and want to move there. I just loved the people and their incredible resourcefulness to make something useful out of what we in America would have considered trash.   I also loved that they were joyful despite whatever their circumstances may be.

Well said, Gypsy & Caribbean.

Back to the topic..  I have already posted my thoughts on cultural shock.  But now, after a total of almost 16 years, I have a realization that there is another shock.  The shock is that so many ex-pats talk a good game, but are no shows. By this I mean that so much is said about having difficulty  solving & resolving THEIR problems due to the lack of Dominican competence.  I seldom see evinced a true understanding or empathy for the locals.  Yes, some sound so caring & concerned, but the use of subterfuge is a poor substitute for a true acceptance of people who are different from you. How you attained the years & benefits to live here without knowing the true value of all life is beyond my ken.

I did as a matter of fact.  It was a brutal  36 hours of frustration Bob.   I lowered the boom today and now things are fine again......  except the stupid electrical company of course.  For that I need an armed insurrection to take over the companies.....LOL

Gypsy  how about explaining exactly what you are talking about?  I am really interested!

Will PM my reply,  love ya....

Cool..... you too honey

Hi everyone,

I've removed a few posts from this thread

All the best,

Julien

Thanks honey!

9 more weeks and we complete our move to Sosua. Have been there twice this year and as Gypsy has so eloquently put it, the atmosphere is unbelievable, happy and vibrant!! Can't wait to start our new experience and get tuned in to the local community.

I bet  you are counting the days and hours.  Hope to see you soon

Bob K

Thanks Bob will be seeing you at the Britannia or Jolly Roger. Can't wait to get that "laid back" feeling again!! Now if only the drivers could ease up a little it might settle the nerves a little LOL

Hey Planner what's new in your part of paradise?

Lots going on here honey,  work,  rain,  new companies starting up......  wooo hooooooo. And soon more dancing again....

Brit sound sounds good to me.  There for wings tonight!

Bob K

Atta girl, must be really hard when you think of Canadian winters eh??? Could you give it all up to for snow angels and egg nog!!

Hey guys apart from Christmas when is the next festival to avoid?

Excellent, We'll join you in early December. What's it like decorating a palm tree for Christmas??? LOL

Christmas is totally different here.  Its about family and community,  lots of dancing and having fun.  Christmas dinner is a family affair for locals on the 24th.  The 25th is to recover and then start all over again.

The partying starts around about  the 15th of December and continues until about January 6th!   Dominicans who work for a company or gov't receive an "extra" paycheck between  the 15th and the 20th of December (sometimes a bit earlier)  to facilitate the Christmas season and let me tell you they know how to use it.....   

I love Christmas here, not about  how many gifts you get or how much you spend, its about being with people and enjoying life.  AND NO SNOW!!!!!!

Now that sounds like fun and no one upmanship on presents. We are sooooo looking forward to our new life.

The "no snow" thingy is best!
As far as presents go, they are practically non-existent.
About the biggest benefactors of Christmas here
are Brugal & Presidente! :)

And Barcelo.....LOL  and Amet ........

Also do not expect any work to get done from end of December till mid January

Bob K

"No Snow", man I enjoy the heat but sometimes i wish there were snow, at least in winter. I havent seen it ever in my life and for what i see in movies it looks great!. Dont know why you complain about it so much u.u.

Hahahaha the movies make it look awesome and it is for like 5 minutes unless you are skiing or something.

Go to Mt. Duarte, It has snow, 10,00 ft. high, the only mountain in the Caribbean that is snow topped.

It is the highest but is not snow topped.  It occasionally gets a dusting of snow and does not regularly go below freezing.

"The grass always looks greener on the oder side" you want heat and beaches, i want to build snowmen and snowball fights x.x

So true RDE.  When you have had bone chilling temps 7 .months of the year or more for a bunch of years it gets tiresome.

Nope left below zero (F) temps and snow storms of 7.5 FEET behind and don't miss it for a nano second

Bob K

I'm with you Bob!
Lots of snow on TV is good enough for me now!
I remember -54 F 25 years ago.
Our snowmobile season used to start Nov. 1 & quit
in the middle of April, some years the end.

Nah, no more of that stuff for this guy!

The only month of the year when we have never seen snow at our old house was August!

Bob K

That's what happens in high country, eh?
Well, in Northern Ontario, we have seen that white stuff every month.
Not for quite a while though, maybe 40 years.

Flying in on December 7th so I hope to beat the snow. Planner is correct, snow looks great in movies but when you have to shovel it for 6 months and it goes from scenic white to dirty gray muck, the poetry just doesn't seem the same!!
Bring on the sun, fun and lots of "dirty dancing" wooooohoooo