Dana NR

Nature Reserve...
Hi,
Any experience within the Dana Nature Reserve? Any nature lovers on this blog who visited the reserve, maybe some camping and birdwatching?
Thanks
PS: wrote to the rscn, but they seem to take their time answering...

Hi,

Yeah, I've visited Dana a couple of time. Stayed at RSCN's Rumman camp and did the camping, bird watching, hiking and even star gazing. It was fun indeed. The camp was great with a huge, central tent. You have a few other options for accommodation like Al Nawatef Camp or Wadi Dana Eco-camp.

Thanks. Can you tell me more about birdwatching,   what kinds did u get to see, is there water were birds frequently hang around? Did u need a guide? 
Thanks

You're welcome! Hmm I'm no expert I'm birds but my friends and I went to a bird watching hut there and spent a while watching birds we've never seen before. It was great! No water at all in the camp but if you go to Dana village, there's a natural spring. We did a couple of short (unguided) hikes but you need a guide for long ones.

I think you might have a better chance contacting Wild Jordan on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/wildjordan1

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I finally managed to get hold of a guide. Hopefully I'll try my chances in October, the area looks quite inviting! I asked about water since usually birds gather there the most. If we are lucky, we'll get to see some mammals as well, I was told.

We love DANA :) and will never get enough just to visit once.

Unfortunately i'm not able to upload some of our Pictures here :) to see the Beauty of Dana and some other places.

We were there on the weekend. With kids, who loved it too. The main thing to remember is to bring enough water (although you can buy it for JD1 per big bottle) and dinner/snacks (camping is hungry work) and torchese. A bbq would be perfect, but think of firelighters/accelerant as well as food. The tents have all linen except pillowcases.  The toilets and showers are great at Rumman camp. It is completely litter free (bliss). We saw ibex, snakes, big scorpions,  mice and many types of lizards, including cameleons and bright blue ones .  Lots of small birds, which I didn't recognise,  but included canary-type yellow birds, honey eater type birds, pigeons and small pardelote type birds. The camp director took care of each group of campers and told them stories around their fires. He is funny and knowledgeable.   If you are used to following rock cairns, you could guide yourself on the 2-3 hour walks. Awesome place.  We hope to return.

Ozapples wrote:

We were there on the weekend. With kids, who loved it too. The main thing to remember is to bring enough water (although you can buy it for JD1 per big bottle) and dinner/snacks (camping is hungry work) and torchese. A bbq would be perfect, but think of firelighters/accelerant as well as food. The tents have all linen except pillowcases.  The toilets and showers are great at Rumman camp. It is completely litter free (bliss). We saw ibex, snakes, big scorpions,  mice and many types of lizards, including cameleons and bright blue ones .  Lots of small birds, which I didn't recognise,  but included canary-type yellow birds, honey eater type birds, pigeons and small pardelote type birds. The camp director took care of each group of campers and told them stories around their fires. He is funny and knowledgeable.   If you are used to following rock cairns, you could guide yourself on the 2-3 hour walks. Awesome place.  We hope to return.

what month did you go there, how close have you been to all the wildlife, what's the route / program you chose called?