Cost of living in Kenya

Is 500000 KSH per month a good salary.  My take home will be around 360000 KSH. I am planning to shift along with my aged dad and sister. Their medical expenses will not be covered. How much i will able to save living in a decent lifestyle.

Dear all,                     i agree with the fact that foreigners are abit overcharged.this happens allover.the prices are affordable though.when u came to nairobi take advantage of the people ul meet,say in your line of work or where you will live or your tour guide.let them assist you know the reasonable places to shop and dine.dont be quick to trust strangers.always keep your guard up even as you ask for assistance.                 All the best as you visit the city in the sun.

While salary itself appears fair, cost of medical can be very very expensive in Nairobi. In some cases as much as 4-5 times the cost in India.

If you want to live lavishly, you would save nothing, in my opinion.

Wow you guys must be exaggerating. I was told I could find a flat in Nairobi for 20000 ksh! I'm going kesho.

Average standard cost of living in Nairobi,Kenya

> accommodation prices-
city centre-(1bdrm)sh40,000 outside centre sh20,000

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
bus(sh60) taxi-sh700

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
sh 20,000(i feed alot)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
No idea

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)-
70,000 per semester

> energy prices (oil, electricity)-
oil-sh 108 electricity-sh3000

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
shh 3000

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant-
sh 200 per plate

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
Beer sh 120 cofee sh 150

> price of the cinema
Sh 450 per seat

p.s-This rates only apply in Nairobi....its cheaper living in the rest part of the country.
Thanks

Thats tricky.

Hello everyone,
Planning to move to Kisumu soon. Salary offered is $ 4000 tax free plus accommodation & yearly return airfare for me & my family. How good is the figure for stay in Kisumu. Any other details on the city like cost of living, travel etc is most welcome. Also my company will cover any medical costs.

Kind Regards,
Anand

Thats enough salary to cater for you & family...its cheaper to live in kisumu compared to Nairobi.
Thanks

Thank you Francinah. Kind of you to reply. Do u know of any site I can look up for cost of living figures for Kisumu. My wife and me have stayed in many countries. We just want to be able to compare the cost of living. Any help is much appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Anand

How about i get the figures right for you then reply..probably tomorrow.
Thanks

How much does it cost to live in Kenya?

Hi bananamatt,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to read the thread you posted on, you might find some useful hints.

Thank you,

David.

Average standard cost of living in Kenya

> accommodation prices-
city centre-(1bdrm)sh40,000 outside centre sh20,000

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
bus(sh60) taxi-sh700

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
sh 20,000(i feed alot)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
No idea

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)-
70,000 per semester

> energy prices (oil, electricity)-
oil-sh 108 electricity-sh3000

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
shh 3000

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant-
sh 200 per plate

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
Beer sh 120 cofee sh 150

> price of the cinema
Sh 450 per seat

p.s-This rates  applies mainly in  in Nairobi....its cheaper living in the rest part of the country.
Thanks

Hi,

Interesting discussion I must say. I am planning to relocate to Nairobi with my wife n daughter. Can you suggest what is the average cost of a 2 bedroom western style flat or apartment. Also what is the cost different between a fully furnished and non-furnished flat.?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards

Khalid

Hi Khalid,

You are most welcome to kenya.
A 2-bedroom Unfurnished Apartments from lavish neighbourhood will cost you 70,000-80,000 mothly...while from an average place will cost you 35,000-45,000.
Furnished apartments in nairobi are pretty expensive ranging from 150,000...
I would suggest maybe you get a furnished apartment for a month as you settle then buy stuff for your apartment then move to an unfurnished apartment.

Thanks

Hi Francinah,

Many thanks :) I can say if everyone in Nairobi is as helpful as you are, then expats like us wouldnt have a problem settling in.

I will be working in the Central Business District, can you suggest a good neighbourhood nearby that area?

Thanks a lot for your support and advice.

Regards

Khalid

Thank You :)

I would suggest upperhill,its the closest nice neighbourhood to town.Its 5-10minutes to CBD.I know unfurnished apartments there range from 45,000-60,000.There is also westlands,which is 10minutes drive minus heavy traffic.but strongly recommend upperhill.you'll find both furnished and unfurnished apartments.

Thanks,
Francinah

The cost of living in Kenya its very affordable. If u want to know more feel free to ask me and I will guide u well and safely. All u need is to Know the right spots u fit in and u can enjoy ur stay in Kenya. welcome all

hello , the salary is sufficient for comfortable living but you need to cover your medical by taking insurance . Medical treatment is exteremely extremely expensive and far more behind then india in all sorts of critical illness.

Hi, I have met a Kenyan married couple while traveling in Kenya. The husband currently is looking for employment and is working any odd job he can find.  We have been trying to help them with money for food. However, the couple never seems to budget the money we send...am I expecting too much?  I send them 40 USD through western union and in less then one week they have no money left for water and groceries.  I'm starting to feel frustrated because I'm confused...I thought Kenyans were able to live on a small budget.  Any help would be appreciated.

This may seem harsh but stop sending the money. 

They obviously cannot budget and probably do not want to as they know you will keep sending money
The couple are using you as a cash cow.
Perhaps they are looking to get you to send more money.

I have lived and worked in African countries and they should be able to get by on what you are sending them. 

Their status with their friends is elevated by the fact that they receive money from overseas and as such they do not have to work.

Perhaps contact them and tell them you can only afford $20 a week and see what happens.

LoraR, now, all I can say is, when good people like you start sending money, they start getting taken advantage of. Ask the couple to start a business and when its up and running, you will refund their capital, guarantee, they will not be back :)

Stumpy, thumbs up! agreed only don't send even the £20. am kenyan, i know they will milk the life out of you unless they are committed and alot of times, they are not.

hello Leviamenra....how did find life in kenya?

hi am from India just planning to move to Kenya my hubby got job in Kenya with a 1000usd p/m is this enough to live there with a kid of 4 yr s accommodation is free for us.i want to know how much is school fees,food for perm nth..we are vegetarian pls help me in this to get a gud decision

hallo.
staying in kenya is not that expensive.maybe to the low income eaners.but with a person earning 1000usd that enough to sustain you and your kid.
infact that s close to 800000ksh.your kid can have quality education in high class schools, you can stay in a posh estates you can have good life.
you are welcomed,HAKUNA MATATA
benson.

Pardon me, but I think USD 1000 will only translate to Ksh. 85,000.
It is very poor salary and it will be very difficult to live on this salary.

Folks, how much would be bare minimum monthly cost for the following in Nairobi preferably in a Indian expat colony. My prospect company is offering $1200 for it. will it be sufficient.
2bhk furnished rental apartment
Indian tiffin service
gas
electricity
water charges
internet connection
Maid
TV cable connection

Sujit 
Check out www.numbeo.com for cost of living

what is the current cost of living for 1 person at Kenya(i am an Indian).

1.accodomadation cost.  in USD

2.food cost.in USD

3.Transportation cost.in USD.

4.Internet charges.

5.Electricity charges.

and

6. other charges..

:) Hi,

I am a middle aged guy from India with a family of 03 members - self, spouse & a school going son. I recently got an offer to shift to Nairobi as an expat in the Insurance sector. However I am banking on some critical informations before accepting the offer.

Hence would be obliged to receive the below mentioned informations from a person residing in Nairobi in context with the current standards.

1. Income Tax slabs
2. Cost of 02 BHK apartment per month in an upscale locality within Nairobi with proper security provisions
3. Cost of school education per month in the best available institute.
4. Cost of transportation - Bus / Taxi / Hired cab, etc
5. Cost of fuel per litre / gallon
6. Cost of groceries and daily essentials.
7. Medical cost
8. Cost of dining in restaurents / multiplexes
9. Cost of other miscelleneous expenses.
10. How safe is the city for expats? Acceptance of Indians amongst the locals ?
11. Nightlife ?
12. Prospective of common man towards Insurance.
13. Investment avenues in banks & AMC etc.
14. How much net salary in Kenyan Shillings required to live a good & comfortable lifestyle ?

Regards.

Moderated by Christine 4 years ago
Reason : off topic comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct