Some FAQs

While I'm still evaluating options to move to Ecuador and there are a lot many things I would want to sort before I reach any conclusions. Please excuse me if you find my questions silly or out of place.

-- Most of these questions are asked in the anticipation that I would move to either Quito & Cuenca --

a. Is tap water safe to drink?
b. Is it easy to find shared accommodation? If yes, is there good portal you can recommend?
c. Are tenancy agreements also available in English?
d. Is it possible to own a bicycle and use it for most of the transport needs locally?
e. Are most rented homes equipped with white goods & atleast basic furniture?
f.  Are there any asian grocessory stores?
g. Is it possible to work as a volunteer in any organizations?
h. What is the average price of gym memberships?
i. What is the basic cost of milk, bread, butter, tomatoes, onion, cheese and other daily produces?
j. What are the public transport options? Do we have monthly tickets or on per usage basis? How much?

I certainly have a lot more questions to append here. Look fwd to interesting responses !!

I'll tackle some questions, Buzz, from my perspective in Quito.  I'll defer to Nards and the Cuenca gang for the situation in that city...

Tap water...

It's said to be potable and safe, this agua potable.

However, who really knows the condition of the interiors of the pipes it runs through?

I still buy water in large bottles for washing fruit and vegetables and any direct drinking use.

For tooth-brushing, I use water from the tap, but in tiny quantities.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia - offcourse the taste of the pudding is in the eating, but would you want to flash your teeth as a testimony to the quality of water there :)

Jokes apart - thanks for the response.

vpbuzz wrote:

Is it easy to find shared accommodation?  If yes, is there good portal you can recommend?  Are tenancy agreements also available in English?

There are plenty of shared-living opportunities here.

Instead of using a "portal," I would check the Internet coffee shops in Mariscal sector where offline posting boards have rental and sharing ads mostly in English.  Researching this on the Web itself would probably lead you to pricier listings.

If you find a tenancy agreement in English, it probably means you're renting from a Gringo ... or you're paying more than you need to, for the convenience or a sofisticado apartment.

cccmedia in Quito

Is it possible to own a bicycle and use it for transport needs?

Possible, yes.  Recommended on main streets in Quito, no.  Riding in the park, sure.

But don't trust me.  You can join the city's free bike-riding program and ride any time of day till 7 p.m. to learn yourself.  Once having joined, you can pick up a bike at many bus and trole stops and drop it off at another one.

I predict you'll learn that biking on major streets is less fun and more challenging than you might like.  As for transporting a bag of groceries home from SuperMaxi on Avenida Eloy Alfaro, that's only for those who love the harrowing experience of dodging taxis and trucks non-stop.

True, there are bicycle lanes, especially in Mariscal.  But I looked the whole proposition over shortly after moving here, and decided buses and taxis are much more convenient and safer, and for most Gringos, bike riding should be left mostly for outings in the parks.

cccmedia in Quito

Are rented homes equipped with white goods and some basic furniture?

Furniture... The situation is the same as you may be used to back home -- meaning, it depends on whether it's a "furnished" aka amoblado apartment... or not.

If you'll be in a location short-term, then furnished is probably the way to go, and, as usual, you will pay a higher rent for the convenience.  Furnished is probably best for most new arrivals sampling the Quito life.

Major appliances...  In a furnished apartment, you'll have a refrigerator waiting for you.  Usually, not so in an unfurnished one, except the priciest places.  In an inexpensive to mid-level furnished apartment, don't expect a dishwasher, certainly not a clothes washer and dryer.  A furnished apartment will often have a gas stove.

By the way, I recommend bringing soft pillowcases and towels with you when you move here.  If there are soft towels of any size available for purchase in Quito, I'd like to know where.  I had visited this city several times before moving here, so, fortunately, I knew to bring a couple of great bath towels from the U.S.

cccmedia in Quito

vpbuzz wrote:

Are there any asian grocery stores?
Is it possible to work as a volunteer in any organizations?...
What is the basic cost of milk, bread, butter, tomatoes, onion, cheese and other daily produce?

Haven't seen any Asian groceries in the capital.  There's no Chinatown, but that doesn't mean such groceries don't exist somewhere in town.

Quito, as the capital and leading international metropolis, is ideal to find volunteer opportunities.  When you're ready, start by contacting a non-profit organization such as at www.saexplorers.org ....

Those food staples you mentioned can be purchased at North American prices at the Maxi supermarket chain ... or save 20 to 50 percent depending on the product at Spanish-only mercados and neighborhood pulperías.  Keep in mind that refrigeration at Maxi stores surpasses the low-overhead local places.

cccmedia in Quito

vpbuzz wrote:

What are the public transport options? Do we have monthly tickets or on per usage basis? How much?

I certainly have a lot more questions to append here. Look fwd to interesting responses !!

Quito has buses and taxis mostly -- which are cheap by North American standards.

The Metro -- an underground subway system -- was supposed to start operating in 2017 but construction costs IMO are going to delay things well past that time.

Buses cost 25 cents a ride, with no free transfers allowed.

Several bus lines -- including Ecovía, Trole and the América-La Prensa line -- have fixed stops similar to a North American subway or el.  On most other lines, there are "paradas" or stops near busy intersections, and pickups are at the drivers' discretion at less busy places and on inclines.  Most of Mariscal sector is fairly level and this is a plus for many Gringos.

I am unaware of any monthly pass system.

Taxis start at $1.45 or $1.75 (night minimum) for short trips.  A trip between El Centro and Mariscal runs $3-5 dollars depending on locations.  A trip from most Gringo-friendly areas to the nightclubs in north Quito runs about $10... to the new international airport, which is in Tababela, Ecuador:  about $25.

More questions, you say?  Fire away. :top:

cccmedia in Quito