Medical work in Mexico 2015-2016

Is it reasonable to go to Mexico or Central America for medical work? Feedback on the forum is that traveling for dental work is worthwhile. How about medical?

Currently healthy without health insurance. Have some retirement savings (under $10,000) in case of emergency. Yet even with paying cash, the $10,000 wound not go far in the US.

I can pay for local doctor visits that are under $100. However if something major comes up and I am conscious, I think it could be more reasonable to travel to Mexico or Central America for treatment and hospitalization paying cash there.

Please let me know, from your experience, if it's reasonable to go to Mexico or Central America for surgery, the hospital, etc.  Thank you in advance for your answers so a plan can be made.

From my perspective, as a retired medical professional, I would say the skill level is very high in many parts of Mexico. I had a family member seen at Star Medical in Merida. The care was quite thorough, the doctor spoke English, German and of course Spanish. His attention and caring attitude was actually quite a bit superior to that of many U.S. M.D.s I would also say he was quite current and had a knowledge base that was more extensive than many U.S. practitioners. We could call him directly and ask questions. If I needed care I would choose that hospital. That is the hospital that would have seen the president if he had been injured while in Mexico.

Yes, medical services are very good. Doctors are extremely competent. It is much more affordable than in the US.

I had bilateral cataract surgery in 2010 in Tijuana at Hospital Angeles.  I have been very pleased with the results and never had any problems.  At the time I was living in Houston so I flew to TJ the day before, saw the doctor and next day had the surgery and the following day had post-op exam and next day flew back to Houston.  Most doctors in the private hospitals are board certified in the U.S.  And it was a fraction of what it would have cost me in the U.S. & was cheaper than paying the deductible.

Most doctors/health professionals that I've met say the problem with the U.S. is that doctors spend too much time in the classroom and not enough time in clinical actually practicing therefore they don't have the experience as in other countries where a doctor does many more surgeries than in the U.S.