Registering a vehicle in the Dominican Republic

we are purchasing a (used) vehicle in the DR. What is involved in transferring ownership and registering the vehicle. Do we just go to a motor vehicle registry office with a bill of sale etc. as we do here in Canada?

I went to my attorney's office to do the deal. If you don't do that you have a higher probability of getting ripped off. The attorney checked the sellers paperwork and did a new contract to buy the car. 

Now I have to go back to their office to get the paperwork and go myself to the local gov. office to get the matricula. If I have the attorney do that it's 4000 pesos. But its fairly easy to do. This gov. office is organized and I've always had good experiences there. So will see how it goes.  There is always someone in the office that can help out or speak some English.

Thanks. But once you have purchased the vehicle do you go to a local government office to register the vehicle?  Or did your lawyer do that for you?

II have bought a total of 7 vehicls, 3 crs, 4 motorcycles. Bill of sale & registration for all. Bought insurance on each, tags when due & sold them upon occasion never having the titles in my name. Never a problem either buying, registraion, insuraning them or selling them either to gringos or locals.  The titles were in others name but registration in mine .( ins proof was all necessary to transact the processes). It seemed to have been,& perhaps still is a common practice.  Even when bought from a dealer, the name was of a prior or perhaps the original owner.  Is this still as prevalent as it was, or has it changed?  All that I know is Amet, & gov.  agencies accepted without question the paper work.  Just took the pesos & said, "Gracias".

It's definitely changed.  You need to register the change, have the new matricula issued and make it all legal.

It is easier and not that much to have an attorney prepare a bill of  sale, and submit the paper work.  We just bought a used car and paid for preparation of the documents and filing the paperwork and getting the new tags,  Her fee was 2500RD plus the cost of the tag transfer and new matricula (registration).  Gas alone for me to do this not even considering a half day of time would have cost me 1500 pesos.  So worth it to me

Bob K

The reason they leave the paperwork in the last guys name is because they are too cheap to change it to their name AND because it doesn't matter anyway. They can still sell the car without having it in their name because it's common practice. They don't have a proper system to do things right here. Have you seen their computers assuming they even have computers? They are like from the 80's and the monitors too :) A lot of offices don't even have computers. They operate on paper.

This is why I use the attorney and let them figure things out. I think it cost me 1500 pesos for the notary work.

A side note. I lost my motor bike license plate the same day I got it. Cost me 1500 pesos to pay the police to process the police report so I can get a new one. Next I have to publish it in the newspaper for 3 days and then take the paperwork to the gov. office to get my new plate.

Has anyone used the residency one-container-tax-free option to bring a car toDR? (no older than 3 years, right ?)

I believe it has to be between 2 and 5 years of age and  you must have owned it for 2 years.

Sorry we ended up shipping ours after our "duty free container"

Bob K

My lease is up this January...and we're considering what car we would like to have there in a few years...just trying to think ahead...

Good plan, thinking ahead.  Bob I believed it changed, you have to own it 1 full year. I will try to confirm this.

Thanks,  I know when I brought in my AValanche it was 2 years.

BObK

thanks guys...i have until January...i was thinking  we'll try and negotiate my lease end purchase AND another used car sale...like a two fer! we'll see

Actually, we had planned to bring our 14 month old car but the consulate told us we needed to proof ownership for at least 2 years. So, can't do...
We will have to buy one when we get there in November and Bob K. I will ask you the name of your lawyer you used please.

I will PM you his contact info.

As for the car remember that vehicles here new or used cost 30% to 35% more that in the US, so plan accordingly.

Bob K

That settles it then, thanks for the update.

Got the PM Bob.. Thank you.. and as prices go.. yep... I know but no choice.. I will check ads at the supermarket for a used car from an expat..

Yes check the BB at the Playero supermarket.  There are always used vehicles for sale posted there.

Also check these two sited for used vehicles
- facebook.com/groups/everythingcabaretemag/  This is everything for sale Cabarete.
- facebook.com/groups/553624054683754/  Same for Sosua

Bob K

Bob K, can you PM me the name of the lawyer you used to look after your car registration. Thanks.

Tried to send  you a PM but your PM function is not turned on yet.  You can try clicking on my name and see if you can send me one. If you can also include your email address.

If not you will need to make another post or two in order to be able to use the PM function.  This is a safe guard against spammers and phishers.

Bob K

Will do, thanks.

Quick question, my friends first day to work my way through the "hoops" involved in registering, insuring my vehicle etc is a Monday. What's your best guesses as to how many days before we are motoring down the roadways of the DR legally registered n insured.

Get your insurance arranged in advance!  Make sure you get full insurance and you use an agent who will shop around.   We got one registered in about  3 days here but not sure where you are.

Sosua Cabarete area.

How far in advance for the insurance.  A week before ok?

Get your insurance tomorrow for Monday.  It should take you 1-2 days to get the paperwork.  Do know that Monday is a holiday here so banks, offices and such will be closed.

Bob K

Are you buying a used vehicle?

Bob K

Bought. Past tense.

Bob K, cannot email you directly.  Still interested in your lawyers name that did your "matricula" I think it is called. Don't suppose we can do it by the firms initials?

Bob  go ahead and post it here..............

The problem is I do not know if she wants here contact info on a public forum.  I will contact here and ask.

Bob K

It would be good for business for her would be my thought.

I will ask her.

Bob K

Ok just heard back and she said it is fine to post.  Also the best way to reach her is on her cell.  Here is the info.

Dolly Cabrera
809-226-8550
809-307-3337 cell
[email protected]

Bob K

good stuff Bob!

I just wanted to make sure it was ok with her first.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. She has contacted me. She is in Santiago; how did you transfer documents back n forth.

if you mean transfer documents here we send them on Caribe express bus.  She picks  up the package in Santiago. Her office is three blocks from the bus station.  It has never been a problem sending here stuff this way

Bob K

Very clever.

WE do this all over the country, its cheap and efficient!