Cost of living in Zambia

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Zambia.

Don't forget to mention where in Zambia you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Zambia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Okay so how much does all this stuff cost? I it hard to buy a house? Im from the US and would like to move to Zambia to be a nurse and Im not sure how hard this is going to be. Does anyone have answers?
-Anneliese

I might be offered a job in Zambia but before i take this decision, I would like to know the cost of living in the capital and how easily an accommodation is available to a bachelor. Even if I move my family at a later stage, how much a house or a flat is going to cost as well as are there any good schools as I would like my son the get the best.

It depends on how you want to live.
Lodges/Guest houses are between $50 and $100 a night.
Hotels can are between $100 and $300 a night.
Renting a house really depends on where you are. Houses are very expensive in Lusaka. Expect to pay at least $1,000 a month for a medium house. In smaller towns, rent might would be more like $300 for the same house.
Public transport is inexpensive. Buses are usually less than a dollar for local routes. You can get from one side of the country to the other for about $50. Taxis are widely available. Negotiate a price before getting in the taxi. It depends on how far you are going, but would generally be less than $10 to go anywhere in town.
It depends on how you want to eat. If you want to eat like a local, you can probably get by on less than $100 a month. If you want to eat more like an American, you can expect to pay at least 3 times that amount.
Health is inexpensive (Less than $1) if you go to government hospitals, but you must expect long waits. Private clinics are a little more ($5)
Governments schools are supposedly free, but by the time uniforms and books are bought, parents put in around $100 for the year.
Private schools are more like $300 a month.
Electricity is around $30 a month at a high cost house.
Water is also around $30 a month.
There is a tv tax which is less than $1 a month.
Phone costs are expensive especially when calling across networks.
Food at a traditional restaurant would only be about $5 per person. But more common are Indian or Chinese Restaurants. Expect to pay between $10 and $20 per person at those retaurants.
Beer is around $2 a bottle. Traditional alcohol is much cheaper. Coffee would also be a couple dollars.
Cinemas are not common unless you live in Lusaka. It is about $5 at night or half that during the day.

Dear Zamgirl etc

Same question about cost of living in Kitwe/or nearby only now its 2013 any real changes.

Thanks for your help!

Try this website for cost of living numbeo.com it gives information for many countries and places around the world.

I am from Australia and live in Chingola, have been here for almost a year. I think prices in Chingola would be pretty similar to Kitwe. This is what we pay per month for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 young children):

Food $600 (eating a Western diet)
Rent $500 for an old, unfurnished, 4 bedroom house in town centre with a big enclosed yard
Water $40
Electricity $70
Internet $80
Phone (mobile) $60
School fees for a GOOD school - ranging from $2000 - $5000 per year
Fuel is around $1.90 per litre

If you want house help, you can hire a full time maid for $100 per month, and a full time garden boy for $100 per month.

Hope this helps :-)

* I should add, phone is just for one person

And DSTV (pay TV - otherwise you pretty much get only one local channel) ranges from about $25 to $70 per month I think, depending on the package you choose)

Hello MrsMooKoo and welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for your contribution! :)

Aurélir

plz what about food?!!
how much does it cost for 1 adult person per month ?!!
thanks in advance .. :)

and if i want to work , is it easy to be hired as a teacher ..?

For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

As for getting a job as a teacher why not do a Google search for jobs in Zambia ?