Placencia Airport

I am considering a move to Placencia. However, the development of the airport concerns me. I would appreciate input regarding noise; as you are aware, in addition to proximity to the airport, flight paths can also have an impact on noise.

We are nearing completion of a new home just four miles from the new Placencia airport.   We have watched the construction of the airport for the past five years.  I am also a pilot with good background knowledge of flight patterns and airport operations.

The prevailing winds are almost always from the ocean.  Airplanes take off and land into the wind.  This coupled with the mountains just eight miles west of the airport make the landing and departure pattern very clear,  to the east.   This means the aircraft will approach high from the west and land over the banana farms.  They will take off east into the wind, over land that is currently vacant but is planned for hotel and resort development.

Any land that is available for residential development, to the the south, is too far away to have any impact from the airport.

Those of us who already live on the north end of the peninsula see the airport as good for our own travel to and from our homes.  We are excited to see the project reach completion.  I have no concern at all about noise from the airport.

Best Regards
ParadiseBelize

Thank you. I greatly appreciate the information you have provided.

Is there actual construction taking place on the airport now?
Any word about hospital and medical facilities?
Thanks

As of last November - we didn't see any further development of the airport in Placencia.  It looked the same over the past 4-years.  It is my understanding that the runway was built too long than the original environmental impact study and subsequent permit allowed and the project came to a standstill.  I also thought that the developers (or at least some of the partners) were involved with other lawsuit cases over over developments in and around Placencia.  If the construction is just a runway and a concrete frame of a terminal building - then that is the same it has looked for over 4-years.  We too would like to see this airport built - but not holding our breaths.