Cost of living in Mauritius

themoneyconverter.com/USD/MUR.aspx
I would recommend not moving to port louis, but close to port louis. To be honest, port louis is just a business center and very few people actually live in the city

The cost of a 3 bedroom house would be much less if your are just 15 minutes away in either direction. WIth this life would be much easier.

Secondly, the cost will vary depending on how lucky you are at the time. You can find something perfect with a garden with a price ranging from 20,000 - 30,000 rupees. Anything less, you will just have to be very very lucky.

To search I would recommend checking out the website l'expressproperty.com to get a head start on looking.

I would say that with a family of 4 you will need minimum 80,000-100,000 rupees a month to live. You can take a look at themoneyconverter.com/USD/MUR.aspx to convert.

Take care and good luck

Thanks all for your help.

Acsamuelson, please which area is 15 min away
From Port Louis? so that I can refine my search.

Thanks in advance.

My mom said that Port louis is just too hot to live in.

I must say, if I hadn't been to Mauritius, I would be alarmed by the apparent high cost of living after reading this thread.
Fortunately, I have been a few times and shopped as I would shop if I lived there, modestly (as I do at home), and find the amount of money some ex-pats seem to be spending as excessive to say the least!
I've researched apartments and houses, and have found nice 2-3 bed houses in nice areas for Rs20,000. and they are more than adequate to live in comfortably.
When over there for a week, my wife and myself spend no more than Rs3,000 a week on groceries.
We don't drive when over there, and rely on public transport and just give ourselves plenty of time to do everything.
It's an interesting thread to guage the costs of TV, Internet, Electricity, water etc.
But the amount some people appear to be spending is just wasteful!

External wrote:

You have to apply for a permanent resident permit ( sic- good for only 10 yrs but so far not many lucky residents)  should you purchase a RES.

I'm not quite sure what this comment about 'so far not many lucky residents' means? Does that mean the authorities choose to not renew the visas or something?

euphony wrote:
External wrote:

You have to apply for a permanent resident permit ( sic- good for only 10 yrs but so far not many lucky residents)  should you purchase a RES.

I'm not quite sure what this comment about 'so far not many lucky residents' means? Does that mean the authorities choose to not renew the visas or something?

Affirmative

hi julien you posted (they don't deliver the occupation permit).......then what a person should have to do especially if he is thinking to move in Mauritius. well i am Electronics Engineer, but i am also doing diploma in hotel management......... is there any chance of me to live here with a good job.......Need Your Help.I Really want some peace in my life. Help Me

All expat living in Mauritius and carrying business,
Have you registered with VAT?
If not, is there any checking and harassment by the Revenue/VAT officers?

Hi Micheal,

I am a Computer Engr from Nigeria.  I am making serious plans to come over to Mauritius for my Masters Degree. UTM.

Your post is really helpful. I need to know if it is cheaper to import my car....or is it better to buy one in Mauritius? Is it usually expensive to clear vehicles into the island?

What about driving permit, do I need an international drivers' permit?

Can you also inbox me your contact details so we may have a conversation?

Hilary

Hi ..I have got an offer of USD 4000 from Mauritius , am married with 2 kids. Pls let me know if the salary is good enough to live a a average life style in Mauritius. How much would be the average cost of living with family.The company is going to take the transportation cost and will provide health insurance as we'll

Thanks

thats the same info im looking for and im yet to get answers .its pretty cut and dried a simple thing all im looking for are people that live there that can give me an honest idea of what the life is like there .

Guys...
for all my fellow expats freinds who are interested to know the cost of living... I have created an excel sheet with minimum to maximum expenses.. for a single and person with a family etc etc and what are like onetime charges, refundable non refundable... cost for a rental car, house on the beach or in the centre etc etc etc etc... if you like this info. in ur mailbox, send me a PM with ur email ID .. i'll be more than happy to send you the file.
(P.S. I'm living here with my family, we are three so cost for family likely for the 3 and school fee is something i didnt included cause of personal choices of people, some like to put their child to govt school, some private english medium or french and some International schools so its varies)
hope I can be a little help :)
Cheers
Sumeet RANA

euphony wrote:

I must say, if I hadn't been to Mauritius, I would be alarmed by the apparent high cost of living after reading this thread.
Fortunately, I have been a few times and shopped as I would shop if I lived there, modestly (as I do at home), and find the amount of money some ex-pats seem to be spending as excessive to say the least!
I've researched apartments and houses, and have found nice 2-3 bed houses in nice areas for Rs20,000. and they are more than adequate to live in comfortably.
When over there for a week, my wife and myself spend no more than Rs3,000 a week on groceries.
We don't drive when over there, and rely on public transport and just give ourselves plenty of time to do everything.
It's an interesting thread to guage the costs of TV, Internet, Electricity, water etc.
But the amount some people appear to be spending is just wasteful!

I agree with you, it really depends on how much you earn or want to spend. If you are in the higher earning bracket then this is pretty realistic https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 13#1634532

regards

Frenchie

RD1976 wrote:

Hi ..I have got an offer of USD 4000 from Mauritius , .....

is that per month right? Then look at this link https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 13#1634532

Frenchie

hi i would love if you would send me that list it would realy help me

regards
carl john

ashmex10 wrote:

great!

Yes, it is! Welcome on board...

living here is somehow expensive.. good pts:  rent is low, food very varied..

@sumeetrana_81: Could you please share the file with me. I would need to move by Feb 2014. Grateful if you could send the file soon.

Thanks,
Pravin

Hello CarlJohn,

I'm not able to send my excel at mentioned email ID.
Could you please recheck or send me an email  - [email protected]
thanks

kaushal.unimed: done!!
pravinnair85nair: send me ur email ID please.

[Moderated: you should post an advert in the Mauritius classifieds section pls]

Hello Everyone,

This question is specifically to those who have been staying in Mauritius for more than couple of years now. I wanted to know what has been the general rise in prices of everyday items since 2011 - 2012.

Regards,
Pravin

Thanks, I would very much appreciate the COL file as well. Thank you for your efforts!! Rebecca

Rebecca2 wrote:

Thanks, I would very much appreciate the COL file as well. Thank you for your efforts!! Rebecca

Rebecca, please check your Inbox... done!! let me know if you need any information which is not clear in the excel worksheet!

Cheers!
Sumeet

Interesting discussions about living in Mauritius,myself and planning to move over next more and i find your conversation more helpful.Thanks to all of you..

Hi wilsonasu00,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

We are glad that the conversation is helpful and is able to provide you with useful information.

However, please note that you can start a new thread on the Mauritius forum if you have any questions which have not yet been addressed on the forum.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

sumeetrana_81 wrote:

Guys...
for all my fellow expats freinds who are interested to know the cost of living... I have created an excel sheet with minimum to maximum expenses.. for a single and person with a family etc etc and what are like onetime charges, refundable non refundable... cost for a rental car, house on the beach or in the centre etc etc etc etc... if you like this info. in ur mailbox, send me a PM with ur email ID .. i'll be more than happy to send you the file.
(P.S. I'm living here with my family, we are three so cost for family likely for the 3 and school fee is something i didnt included cause of personal choices of people, some like to put their child to govt school, some private english medium or french and some International schools so its varies)
hope I can be a little help :)
Cheers
Sumeet RANA

Hi Sumeet,
I have just sent you a message with my mail ID. please send me that excel sheet.
Saurabh

l m looking to purchase a resort or boarding houses or hotels if u can give me a list of properties that's available to buy rent or lease with current financials and price of the property and full descriptions. Your help in getting this info. to us will help in our decision to move from the USAhank you Prega

Hi Sumeet

May i request you to share the excel working sheet which you have prepared.  I am likely to relocate to Mauritius soon and this may be helpful.  Separately, any contacts whom I can connect for rental of car (say a i20 hatchback)? I have been getting astronomical quotations (totally unjustified with the high rentals).

Thanks
J T

CAJT wrote:

Hi Sumeet

May i request you to share the excel working sheet which you have prepared.  I am likely to relocate to Mauritius soon and this may be helpful.  Separately, any contacts whom I can connect for rental of car (say a i20 hatchback)? I have been getting astronomical quotations (totally unjustified with the high rentals).

Thanks
J T

I rented car by posting here in some rent car thread.  2012 Chevy Spark for 16000 per month. If you go to agencies it is impossible to rent almost new car for such money. thanks

That's a relatively better deal compared to what I have been getting.  Do u have some local connects whom I can write-to and inquire?

Send me your email ID for the file and for i20 I have a friend (local Mauritian) into car rental business and he brought 3 or 4 i20 recently... I dont know if already on rent or what'll be the rent... but yes you can contact him and give my reference.

Send me an IM for contact details.

Hope this may help you.
Sumeet RANA

CAJT wrote:

Hi Sumeet

Thanks
J T

CAJT wrote:

That's a relatively better deal compared to what I have been getting.  Do u have some local connects whom I can write-to and inquire?

I dont have any local connections in car business, I just posted in this thread

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 31#1756281

and got an offer. Then waited few days and got vehicle delivered to me. So far my experience in renting cars on daily basis or long term was quite smooth

hello

searching for good tea. I used to drink some good blends of tea, second flash usually and was not able to find anything on Mauritius. Even Darjeeling Lipton would be good to have. Best I've seen Orange Pekoe of very low quality. appreciate any pointers

IV

hello! i just sent you a PM for that excel sheet
:)
thank you & have a good day

With a minimum of around Rs15000, life should move

Hello,

I am from India, Pune and I have an offer of 50,000 Mauritian rupee. My family is back in India and I will be shifting here alone. I want to know if this is a good deal. As I will also have to take care of my family expenses back in India.

Hi Prasad,

I've recently shifted to MU and can give you some insight to the savings. Send me your skype id or gmail id. You can add me on skype : pravin85nair
gmail: [email protected]

Regards,
Pravin.

This looks like an excellent offer. You must accept it. You will be saving a lot for sure.
Is accommodation also provided by employer?

Thanx pravin for your prompt reply