Emergency tax for Expats

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Malta from the UK early September with my partner and i'm starting work mid September, I have a quick question regarding emergency tax, sorry if this has already been answered but i couldn't find a thread relating to this.

I have been told by my employer that i will be emergency taxed for 12 months after starting employment and that i would get the money back after the 12 months, i was initially fine with this but cannot find anything about this on the internet, i was just wondering if anyone has had this issue or if this is a new thing.

Any info on this matter will be greatly appreciated as i'm quite confused at the moment.

Many thanks :)

Issy

i dont think so.....not heard of that before....

i think you should check that your employer isnt pulling a fast one

go to the tax office

Hi, thanks for your response!
It sounds a tad dodgy to me so I will contact the tax office :)

Me and Issy enquired and what they meant was the higher income tax for non-residents, being 35% on anything over 7,801 Euros per year, also add on the 10% Social Security contributions and you're only keeping half your already low wage.

This surprised us as theres not much mention of it, but it's only for 6 months until you can apply for residency, then once processed you'll be on the much lower resident rates. You do get a rebate for any over payments also.

Sledge wrote:

Me and Issy enquired and what they meant was the higher income tax for non-residents, being 35% on anything over 7,801 Euros per year, also add on the 10% Social Security contributions and you're only keeping half your already low wage.

This surprised us as theres not much mention of it, but it's only for 6 months until you can apply for residency, then once processed you'll be on the much lower resident rates. You do get a rebate for any over payments also.

you can apply for residency at any time  - you are obliged to apply after 3 months of living here though

I see, well it must not matter about residency then but still works on a 6 month basis, this is the e-mail I got from the tax dept;

"Good afternoon,

For the first six months employer will deduct tax with the ‘Non Resident Tax rates' (higher rates) if the employee though remains in employment more than 6 months rates are changed to the standard rates and any overpayments refunded back by the Department.

regards,

Josette Zammit
Taxpayer Service
Inland Revenue Department"

no mention of how long it takes to get the refund - or how it happens -automatic or by application?

Toon wrote:

no mention of how long it takes to get the refund - or how it happens -automatic or by application?

No mate, I'll have to look into that nearer the time but I gather from what Issy's employer said and the way tax departments usually are it'll take quite a while :/

good luck

I would just apply for residency ASAP if you have an employer it shouldn't be a problem hopefully you should get it within a few weeks (don't hold your breath) my husbands only took 2 weeks he was working whereas mine and the kids took 3 months. You can print these forms from the net and post them if you have an address here and a letter off your employer. Haven't tried this but have been told that if you go to residency place they can give you a letter to say that you have applied this might help when you register at the local tax office.

emma1979 wrote:

I would just apply for residency ASAP if you have an employer it shouldn't be a problem hopefully you should get it within a few weeks (don't hold your breath) my husbands only took 2 weeks he was working whereas mine and the kids took 3 months. You can print these forms from the net and post them if you have an address here and a letter off your employer. Haven't tried this but have been told that if you go to residency place they can give you a letter to say that you have applied this might help when you register at the local tax office.

you cannot post them if your a non -eu citizen
and if you do post them you need all forms signed and proof checked by a notary