Social security number

Am I required to obtain a Puerto Rico SSN when moving from the US? How long does it take to get one?

Please do some research when you ask questions.....

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : message edited - please avoid being rude on the forum

New York and California are both US STATES. Puerto Rico is a US TERRITORY. It's my understanding that things operate differently in Puerto Rico than in any of the US states. I'm just trying to learn.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : post edited - no dispute here please

Your SS# and card will stay the same, though you will need a new driver's license, particularly if you are coming for act 20/22.  You will need/use your SS card and # more than you do in the states.

Be aware n PR they require that you do not laminate your SSN card. government agencies will not take a laminated card as proof of ID. I think it had to do with fraud and most places will ask for your SSN card as a secondary ID. You can use your passport and current driving  license as ID without having to use the SSN card.
If you need to replace your SSN card do it in the states, it takes almost a month to get a card mail to you in the island.
When we did all the run around to get utilities done for our new house we did not had to present the SSN card at any agency, just use the Driving license and passport. Same to open a back account.

My problem is that Puerto RIco is part of the USA , PERIOD..... study a bit of history or civics.  Sorry, I get so angry that people as so incredibly uninformed!!!  and BTW:  SS cards should NOT be laminated  period! THEY ARE FEDERAL... they rules are printed on the back of the cards .... for ALL americans.....

All Puerto Ricans are US citizens and are therefore issued a US Social Security # and card when they are born. Also they have US passports. The only ID from PR is the Drivers Licence just like any State.

I must chime in about the interchange between purplesugar and "We're moving WHERE" (WMW). Both are right in their view to some extent, let me explain.

First, shame on the WMW! You were rude and that is inappropriate for any forum. And purplesugar should not take it personally. Why is that? People having a bone to pick about something sometimes lash out at the nearest person. However a public forum is an inappropriate venue to do so.

Second WMW has a valid point. The answer to your question can be found instantly by googling "social security puerto rico". Furthermore a search on this forum would provide the answer too. But there is nothing wrong or inappropriate in asking the question in this forum. But I must add that questions whose answers require the experience and special knowledge of the forum's members are most useful. For example, how to deal with health care issues.

I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds here, I just want to make this forum a better place.

Oh, I just remembered this. I was in Banana Dang in Rincon and a young man (age about 22) asked me the following question: "Is Puerto Rico part of Cuba". Of course I informed him that, no, PR is part of the USA. BUT I didn't tell him that he was shockingly ignorant - that would not be friendly - unless I was sick of ignorant gringos, lost my temper, and shouted at him - "You are an idiot!"

Soc Sec Admin issued cards (at least mine) state right on the card; "DO NOT LAMINATE".

There are many different customs here, purple; but think of it, (in the terms of your moving here), as just another state. As was said; you need a local driver's license, and voter ID card, if you care to vote.

Hi everybody,

Please note that we are all here on a friendly forum to share free information. :)
It would be therefore appreciated if we can avoid being rude to each other here and to avoid useless fights.

Thank you all,

Priscilla  :cheers:

mac00677 wrote:

There are many different customs here, purple; but think of it, (in the terms of your moving here), as just another state. As was said; you need a local driver's license, and voter ID card, if you care to vote.

As Mac00677 said, just think of PR like one of the states where people have their own strong identity. Possibly Hawaii and Alaska could be good example of states with string identities as they are the most recent territories to have become a state.

Same laws specially Federal laws are the same, state laws are different just like Texas laws are different from California laws. The most remarkable difference is the language, it is integrated in the people the government and the culture.

Puerto Ricans are a proud bunch and can feel insulted by very small things one may say or do, they can snap, but after a little bit they will realize that they over reacted. They may never apologize, but they will be friendlier in the future.

Feel free to ask any question.  Each one of knows something about something, but not everything about everything.  We are here to impart wisdom and some witticism.

Yes :)