Cost of living in the Botswana

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the Botswana.

Don't forget to mention where in the Botswana you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the Botswana?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Will be glad to know goods that are duty free to Botswana and seychelles

dear

please tell me cost of living in gaborone

I'm illustrating below the cost of living in Gaborone; hope will be very useful to those planning to come for the first time.

Food and beverages;
A Loaf of bread (700g)P 5.35
A kilo of rice - P 12.00 - P 15.00
Vegetable 1kg depend on the type of vegetable - P 10.00 - P 30.00
Eg: - Carrot 1kg - P 11.00
       Potato 1kg - P 10.00
       Onion 1 kg - P 10.00
Butter 1kg pack - P 30.00 - P 35.00
Jam / Mayonnaise 400g bottle - P 15.00
Sugar 2.5kg pack - P 20.00
Tea tag less 100bag pack - P 24.00
Sunflower oil 2 Ltr - P 35.00
Cheese separately packed 400g pack - P 30.00
1 Lt milk/fruit juice pack - p 12
2 Ltr Coke/Fanta - P 12

Utilities;
16kg gas can - P 350.00
Water bill for an average family max would be P 50.00
Electricity during summer P150 - 250 during winter P250-400 depending on the usage pattern
Internet - recommend to go for Mascom (3.5 G network) as orange reception is not that good (but unlimited access) - Mascom for 2 GB 2 year plan would cost P325 while Orage would cost P 400 a month.
Also BTC (Government ADSL connection) - Would cost P 200 - P 250 (reception is good)

Entertainment;
Movie ticket - P 40.00 you will get all the latest movie in here, but does not have high end techno, but fairly good theatres
A lunch at a restaurant would cost a person P 75 - 100 this will vary even can go up to 150 a person.
You have good pubs and bars like Bull and bush, fashion lounge, Irish pub. Entrance would cost from P 50 - 100 a person

Accommodation and transport;
Accommodation at a hotel per day per person will vary from p 500 - 1000. No 5 star hotels
An average house rent ranging from p 5000 - 8000, there are very expensive houses with swimming pools and nicely maintained gardens but very expensive.
For transport you will get combis and taxis and will cost p3.50 for normal distance, but if you are driving to a specific place in a taxi would cost P25-40 depending on the distance.
Buses are only for long distance travelling, almost all expats are using their own cars

Petrol and diesel 1 Ltr - P 7.50

Health and medical
You better get a medical scheme which cost about P 1000 for 2 people and P1350 for 3 people for a month. This will cover all your medical cost
The medicals are expensive here

So an ordinary person would spend about p 1200-1500 a month for food and beverages and rest as illustrated above

Hope this will be helpful

Cheers

Hi,
I am Tony Charlton and I have been in Botswana since Jan 96.

Cost of living seems to be going up all the time and I am told that we should expect a 10% increase in the new year. I live in a small 'village' called Tlokweng about 10 kms from Gaborone city centre.
accommodation prices are rising rapidly. I have just sold my house, 3b/r MES, pool, garden about 1200mt2, for just under P900,000. Last year valuation was under P800,000. In upmarkt areas, e.g. Phakalane expect to pay well over a million for 3 b/r place.
Rents are hefty, in Tlokweng my house would have been easily rented for P5,000 per month.

> public transportation fares. Bus fares (combis) P3.50 for a short distance, about 12kms. during the day, over P20 at night.

> food prices(per month, My rough costs for 2 of us are just over P1,000 including P36 - 60 per kg for meat)

> Health prices for private medical insurance - very necessary7 for an expat can be up P660+ per month for over 60's and P200 + for younger people. The 2 private hospitals charge over P2,000 per night and extra for treatment.

> eduction prices Nursery school P 2,500 +. Primary P10,000+ per term for top ones. Secondary P15,000 per term although there are cheaper ones around in Gaborone.

> energy prices ( electricity for me is about P200 per month, although in the winter when my solar panel doesn't heat the water it can go up to P400+)

> common bills (Internet, P400+ television, P0, telephone average usage P400+ Including line and phone rental, mobile phone P200+ depneding on useage.)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant. These are going through the roof, poor service, so so meals P100+ per person in some places and P60 at smaller places.

> prices of a beer in my local bar P7.50 per can. In a hotel or up market bar prices can go up to P25 for the same can.

> price of the cinema about P20.

These prices are for Gaborone and my village Tlokweng. Prices vary slightly but expect to pay a lot more for restaurants and hotels especially in tourist areas.

I would expect to spend about P8,000 + on ordinary living, petrol, insurances, food, etc. (This does not include rent or mortgage)
Tony Charlton