Getting a map of Ecuador

What is the best place to get a map (political and physical) of Ecuador?
The Embassy.....a ministry in Ecuador.....is there a tourism ministry?

suefrankdahl wrote:

What is the best place to get a map (political and physical) of Ecuador?
The Embassy.....a ministry in Ecuador.....is there a tourism ministry?

For those in a major EC city, I'd recommend going to a bookstore for maps of Ecuador.

For those elsewhere, www.amazon.com has several map options.

The Ministry of Tourism's website is reachable via www.ecuador.travel

However, I predict that anybody who thinks the ministry will send them the exact right map to an address in Salem, Oregon, is going to be disappointed. ;)

cccmedia in Quito

I bought city maps, road maps, and national maps of Ecuador, in Ecuador at book stores.

One reason I like to buy maps in their native habitat is that detail is usually much better than you'd find in maps bought bought abroad, and of course native maps are printed in the native language.

I have found that it is not useful to buy English language maps for non-English countries. Always look for maps in the native language so that when your boots are on the ground, the actual street signs will be exactly the same as the street on the map, instead of a useless translation.

Sometimes you can find dual language maps, those are good too.

The internet. I've found mapquest to be a little better than google for small towns in Ecuador. Satellite views can reveal unmapped roads in areas with better areal photos.

cccmedia wrote:
suefrankdahl wrote:

However, I predict that anybody who thinks the ministry will send them the exact right map to an address in Salem, Oregon, is going to be disappointed. ;)

cccmedia in Quito

Very funny CCC....I have a nice PO box... not hard to find...figure 6 months it might get here by way of Salem, MA

Thanks everybody. At this point would just like to hang an EC map on the wall to see where all these towns/cities are in relation to bigger cities and the coast. Also have some idea of elevations where I won't need to carry a portable oxygen tank.

Jesse I agree that google maps are better. Now that my little copilot has flown off on his own I have to write the driving directions with a sharpie pen and hope there's a shoulder to pull over on if I'm lost. Always carry my nice laminated map of OR..No GPS and my internal GPS just doesn't work in OR. HWY 99 goes in all directions. N. E W S. Never drove in a place like this in my life.

I like the galaxy street view maps but much of EC just hasn't been done.

Wish some one else but Nards would post some photos

Try this map. Kind of a google/military/open source hybrid.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p … ;coord=utm

jessekimmerling wrote:

Amazing..............I'm trying to think about what the US military might use this for.....maybe they are the ones that developed the technology.

suefrankdahl wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

Amazing..............I'm trying to think about what the US military might use this for.....maybe they are the ones that developed the technology.

The more I play with the various filters on this map, the more excited I get about it. The open streets and cycle world topography filters have all kinds of otherwise unmapped little roads and trails. I'm finding stuff on these maps that I discovered only by driving up and down the coast taking every 4x4 road I could find... I even found a couple super dangerous smuggling routes hidden in there. This is a gold mine, if I do say so myself.