12M for a Work permit!! Anybody else has experience?

Hi everybody...I have just been quoted 12M for a work permit...this seems quite pricey!.Has anybody experience getting a work permit;I'm an Irish citizen.Cheers!

Firstly you should tell which paper are available from you, do you work for some companies here or not, after that I can advise the fee making work permit for your case.

Mickstan wrote:

Hi everybody...I have just been quoted 12M for a work permit...this seems quite pricey!.Has anybody experience getting a work permit;I'm an Irish citizen.Cheers!

Hey man,  The price is quick good. Let me know after you get WP, then i also apply through the same person

Cheers

Ok no probs

I'll let you know how I get on!

Hi Hellen

I have a teaching certificate (Tefl) and an Honours Business Degree from an Institute of Technology.I think because the degree is from an Institute of Technology instead of a university it may be more difficult to obtain a work permit.Ive been in Viet Nam eight months.:)

Mickstan wrote:

12 mil for a WP???, including the Medical it will be under a mil if you did it yourself, which isn't that difficult.  check this out, posted yesterday, "  Notarized docus for work permit ", she's doing it herself and she's a Filipino????
  WP application fee                400k
Medical   about                        300k
Translation/notarization  fees  100 --200 k ( don't go to an Embassy, expensive ).
Been here more than 6 months, no criminal check needed, that will save you waiting the 3 -4 weeks for that.

A decent school will arrange all this for you, some will either pay all or part of the costs.

Mickstan wrote:

Hi Hellen

I have a teaching certificate (Tefl) and an Honours Business Degree from an Institute of Technology.I think because the degree is from an Institute of Technology instead of a university it may be more difficult to obtain a work permit.Ive been in Viet Nam eight months.:)

Depends how they translate it, they accept usually Diplomas as well.

Hi Bluenz

I saw that post after I posted.I just wanted to gauge people's reactions on the fee this company charges.This is the company my school is using at the moment to process work permits...I've already sent an E-mail back.

It does sound like a relatively easy process but I would imagine it's a bit more difficult in practice.Thanks for your help:)

Mickstan wrote:

Hi Bluenz

I saw that post after I posted.I just wanted to gauge people's reactions on the fee this company charges.This is the company my school is using at the moment to process work permits...I've already sent an E-mail back.

It does sound like a relatively easy process but I would imagine it's a bit more difficult in practice.Thanks for your help:)

Yes , always more difficult than it sounds, especially with my medical, luckily my stepdaughter was helping, I got heaps of exercise in the 3 - 4 hours it took, went to the same offices a few times, very frustrating.
The other stuff isn't that difficult, IF you know which offices to go to, in Da Nang now you can do practically ALL govt stuff in the same building, how magical would that be?
The school should also be doing your Visa after the work Permit, more headaches, you have to change to a Temporary Residence Card, that is for as long as your contract is, so try and get the max, 2 yrs, save you heaps.

Cheers

All good advice,I just have to find that magical one stop government shop in Ho Chi Minh city now:)...I reckon there could be lots of google maps involved!

Mickstan wrote:

Cheers

All good advice,I just have to find that magical one stop government shop in Ho Chi Minh city now:)...I reckon there could be lots of google maps involved!

What Visa are you under now?, do your or your school realise that if you're still on a tourist Visa, you have to leave and re enter to get a work permit??? It can't be changed in country.

Hey

Yeah I'm just on a tourist visa,if I need to leave and come back I'll have to do it that way...I'm not to sure if the school knows this though.Cheers

Mickstan wrote:

Hey

Yeah I'm just on a tourist visa,if I need to leave and come back I'll have to do it that way...I'm not to sure if the school knows this though.Cheers

You may have a 2 -3 week wait on the permit anyway, give you a chance to take a break.
  Have fun.

I am also an Irish citizen.  I have a work permit. The actual cost of the piece of paper is just over 400,000 dong.
You will need a police check, your landlord will have to provide proof of your residency address, you must have a police clearance from the Garda, you have to have an up to date health check certificate (within 6 months). Your work permit allows you to work legally so you have to have your company/employer assist you.  Once you get your work permit, you will get a visa for 1 year. It has to be renewed in one year's time.  The work permit is only good for 2 years but can be renewed fairly easily.
The Irish Embassy in Hanoi is excellent for assistance and support.

That's cheap, I think.

Getting work permit is really a challenge that requires lots of paper and assistance of your employer. The Work Permit validity period lasts depending on the duration of assignment indicated in the employment contract, but no more than three years. Renewals are also dependent on the employment contract, with a maximum of three years for every renewal. You can renew up to a maximum of three times.

Hi

Yes I was chatting to them this morning;it all seems a bit clearer now.They have outlined exactly what I have to do and there is no ambiguity about the process now.Thanks for the info,there seems like lots to do but it's essential to have it for the better jobs...cheers!

Hi

Yeah it's probably on the lower scale...I still can't see where the money comes in though as I have to arrange most of the paperwork myself and do the leg work.

Hi

Yeah it's probably on the lower scale...I still can't see where the money comes in though as I have to arrange most of the paperwork myself and do the leg work.

Thanks Taylor Ms

It looks like quite an extensive process and lots of help needed from my employer.So if possible it's best to get the longest duration of work contract available?.I think Bluenz  mentioned that above also...Thanks again!

Taylor Ms wrote:

Getting work permit is really a challenge that requires lots of paper and assistance of your employer. The Work Permit validity period lasts depending on the duration of assignment indicated in the employment contract, but no more than three years. Renewals are also dependent on the employment contract, with a maximum of three years for every renewal. You can renew up to a maximum of three times.

It's maximum 2 yrs only now, I don't know how many times you can renew it, but an English " teacher " in my city has renewed his for the  5th  time this year, ( he only does it annually for some reason, but then he's still on the same hourly rate as he was on 5 yrs ago also, but he isn't a NES ).

Posted: 13 Aug 2015 09:44 PM PDT
Latest amendment of Decree No. 102/2013 / ND-CP issue, we have relaxed the conditions of employment of foreign workers in Vietnam. Although it is still in the draft stage at the moment, but we hope that you are closer to the final version. Amendments of 10 items that are expected in the new ordinance 1. The definition of "experts" will be amended. Any of the following foreigners will be subject to. (1) tries to work in professional person who has been recognized in writing (2) have acquired more than degree in person or university have obtained the qualification of technical personnel as (3) Vietnam in a foreign country obtained submission obligation of annual employment plan of a minimum of 5 years in the functional areas of work experience is a person 2. regular foreign employment has been abolished, the only employer in the need for adoption occurs the approval of the Department of Labor Re if it is fine. Foreigners 3. work permit is exempt, has been newly added two items. (1) foreign nationals entry to Vietnam to work in less than 30 days time limit (2) In this case the Vietnam outside of the school and students and students in the school in the occupation order ream institutions to work in Vietnam (2) from abroad of trainees it appears to be the subject. 4. Foreigners entering a period of less than three months to Vietnam in order to provide a service, or, foreigners entering to Vietnam to work less than 30 days (reference above 3, (2)), the labor It will also be required approval procedures for permit acquisition exemption. However, work permit exemption period has become a similarly up to two years and work permit. 5. health certificate is also possible application in the health certificate issued in Vietnam and abroad either of the medical institution, as long as from the date of issue within 12 months. In 6. current law, non-criminal certificate but there was a case both those issued abroad and those that have been issued in Vietnam is required, it is going to be sufficient to either one submission in the future. 7. is in relation to the application documents, but the applicant's presentation of the original so that it can be compared with the copy to be submitted to when to submit the documents, if possible, apply for documents also a copy that has not been notarized instead of legalized copy It is will be able to. 8. simplifies the application procedure for work in the following of foreigners Vietnam. (1) statutory period in accordance with the issuance of the same title (position) who work under another employer (2) another title (position) 9. work permit those who work under the same employer 10 It will be reduced from business days to seven business days. The application period of re-issue (update) 10. work permit, although it is less than 5 to 15 of expired work permit on the current law, more flexible conditions the applicant submitted period within the next 5-45 days it has become.

bluenz wrote:
Taylor Ms wrote:

It's maximum 2 yrs only now, I don't know how many times you can renew it, but an English " teacher " in my city has renewed his for the  5th  time this year, ( he only does it annually for some reason, but then he's still on the same hourly rate as he was on 5 yrs ago also, but he isn't a NES ).

Yes. Work visa is valid for 2 years only. In the earlier post, I mentioned about validity of work permit, not of the visa.

Taylor Ms wrote:
bluenz wrote:
Taylor Ms wrote:

Yes. Work visa is valid for 2 years only. In the earlier post, I mentioned about validity of work permit, not of the visa.

They have the same validity. i.e, 12 month Employment contract, 12 month Work  Permit, and 12 month Temporary Resident Card. This man renews all 3 every year, no wonder he can't save any money?

12 mill is ludicrous !! The company that you work for should get it for you FOC ,and usually they will hold it as their  property however  it's then down to you to negotiate with them toward the cost of the Residence Card , I didn't have to pay for either ( I just got a 2 year contract , work permit and residence card all FOC ) but I believe that the cost of the 2 yr  RC was just over 2 million .
Good luck.

Phil Crockett wrote:

12 mill is ludicrous !! The company that you work for should get it for you FOC ,and usually they will hold it as their  property however  it's then down to you to negotiate with them toward the cost of the Residence Card , I didn't have to pay for either ( I just got a 2 year contract , work permit and residence card all FOC ) but I believe that the cost of the 2 yr  RC was just over 2 million .
Good luck.

The employer is not only relying on the employee's services, but actually becomes the employee's sponsor here, they should be showing more loyalty to their employee's, ( if they give it , they'll receive it back ).

I went to the department of Labour and they quoted me $15USD.or 300.000VND for a work permit.  I would question the veracity of your source and run from them as fast as possible. I suggest you contact an English speaking lawyer for guidance, ask his/her fee for the advice up front. The fee for advice should not exceed 100.000 VND. Good luck.

Loyalty and commitment are alas not seen as a 2 way deal here !

It may shock all of you but 12ml is cheap. My company charge 20 before tax and admin fee. Yes it may expensive if that is an easy case, with the employee have a bachelor and certified experience, never be in Vietnam before...etc. But you never know if it is easy or difficult before doing it, right?

It is true that legal fee is less than 1 mil. But you are paying service fee for a consulting company. Work permit application seems easy in the checklist, but only if you have a lot of experience and know what to do and what should be declared on the forms exactly. I know many people being refuse due to minor mistake. For example there was a time foreign currency being prohibited, the application be returned cause they declare the salary in USD. Or bigger mistake when they hire a person to a managerial position but could not prove his managerial experience. Or the company hire a person to this position (marketing) but provide a certification of another field (technology)...etc 

And there is something in this topic should be corrected. Validation of a work permit is same with labour contract but no longer than 2 years. Validation of a Working Visa is maximum 1 year. Validation of a Temporary Resident Card is same with work permit but no longer than 2 years and prior to 6 months of your passport's validation. Foreigners do not have to leave the country to obtain a work permit, but after obtaining a work permit they have to leave to apply for a working visa if they are holding a tourist visa.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

It may shock all of you but 12ml is cheap. My company charge 20 before tax and admin fee. Yes it may expensive if that is an easy case, with the employee have a bachelor and certified experience, never be in Vietnam before...etc. But you never know if it is easy or difficult before doing it, right?

It is true that legal fee is less than 1 mil. But you are paying service fee for a consulting company. Work permit application seems easy in the checklist, but only if you have a lot of experience and know what to do and what should be declared on the forms exactly. I know many people being refuse due to minor mistake. For example there was a time foreign currency being prohibited, the application be returned cause they declare the salary in USD. Or bigger mistake when they hire a person to a managerial position but could not prove his managerial experience. Or the company hire a person to this position (marketing) but provide a certification of another field (technology)...etc 

And there is something in this topic should be corrected. Validation of a work permit is same with labour contract but no longer than 2 years. Validation of a Working Visa is maximum 1 year. Validation of a Temporary Resident Card is same with work permit but no longer than 2 years and prior to 6 months of your passport's validation. Foreigners do not have to leave the country to obtain a work permit, but after obtaining a work permit they have to leave to apply for a working visa if they are holding a tourist visa.

Yes Van, and what makes it more confusing is having 2 Business Visa's.

• DN – applicable to foreign workers who will work as a local hire at a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 12 months.
• LĐ – applicable to Intra Company Transfers, as well as employees coming to work in Vietnam based on a contract between a foreign employer and a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 2 years;

It is important to note that the above reflects the current interpretation of the new law. However, since the official law does not go into much detail regarding which category of visa applies to which specific type of foreign worker, it is likely that the interpretations of these visa categories will change upon the authorities' release of more detailed instructions. For example, this ambiguity is especially evident in the visa types DN (“Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam”) and LĐ (“Issued to people who come to work”).

But the definition of an LD Visa seems perfectly clear to me, a Foreigner working for a Foreign company, that is working for a VN company in VN?

So you need to renew your Employment Contract, Work Permit  and TRC EVERY year?
11    LĐ    Foreign workers    Visa Up to 2 years    Up to 2 years TRC
4    DN    Working with Vietnamese enterprises    Visa Up to 12 months    NA       NO TRC????? We know that is wrong?
Or was my information wrong?   ( copied and pasted from a VN website )

So which Visa do people need, who have received a Work Permit and are returning from exiting VN? A DN visa?

Did this 12 month Visa/TRC change apply this year as well, I remember someone who had a 2 yr contract with a school, but I don't know what her Visa/TRC arrangement was, this was last year, and she left after 12 months.

bluenz wrote:
VanKhanh Ho wrote:

Yes Van, and what makes it more confusing is having 2 Business Visa's.

• DN – applicable to foreign workers who will work as a local hire at a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 12 months.
• LĐ – applicable to Intra Company Transfers, as well as employees coming to work in Vietnam based on a contract between a foreign employer and a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 2 years;

It is important to note that the above reflects the current interpretation of the new law. However, since the official law does not go into much detail regarding which category of visa applies to which specific type of foreign worker, it is likely that the interpretations of these visa categories will change upon the authorities' release of more detailed instructions. For example, this ambiguity is especially evident in the visa types DN (“Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam”) and LĐ (“Issued to people who come to work”).

But the definition of an LD Visa seems perfectly clear to me, a Foreigner working for a Foreign company, that is working for a VN company in VN?

So you need to renew your Employment Contract, Work Permit  and TRC EVERY year?
11    LĐ    Foreign workers    Visa Up to 2 years    Up to 2 years TRC
4    DN    Working with Vietnamese enterprises    Visa Up to 12 months    NA       NO TRC????? We know that is wrong?
Or was my information wrong?   ( copied and pasted from a VN website )

So which Visa do people need, who have received a Work Permit and are returning from exiting VN? A DN visa?

Did this 12 month Visa/TRC change apply this year as well, I remember someone who had a 2 yr contract with a school, but I don't know what her Visa/TRC arrangement was, this was last year, and she left after 12 months.

Hi Bluenz

You are being confuse due to the translation from Vietnamese into English of the law. DN Visa is for people who work WITH a Vietnamese company while LD Visa is for people who work FOR a Vietnamese company, in a specific title.
*Vietnamese company is a company that registered and established under Vietnamese law. So that 100% foreign invested company is also Vietnamese company.*

For example, if a big boss from mother company want to visit the company, he can apply for a DN Visa. Cause there is a Vietnamese company who will sponsor and take responsibility of him here. Foreigners who are internal transfer to work for the company or who are recruited in Vietnam with a labor contract will have to apply a LD Visa.

That said, you do not need a Work Permit to apply for a DN Visa, only an Invitation of immigration from a Company is enough, and it last 1 year. A LD Visa is required a Work permit to be able to apply for, have 2 years validation, but you will only permitted to stay for 1 year first, after that...I don't know...the law do not said that you can or cannot extend such 1 year staying time (even with a 2 years working Visa), but said that you will apply for a TRC after that. (Haiz, what a law!).

You need to renew your WP, TRC and labor contract every 2 years.

If you want to apply for a TRC sponsor by a company, apply for a LD Visa (= working visa) first. DN Visa holder is not eligible to apply for a TRC. That is right.

Hi Bluenz

You are being confuse due to the translation from Vietnamese into English of the law. DN Visa is for people who work WITH a Vietnamese company while LD Visa is for people who work FOR a Vietnamese company, in a specific title.
*Vietnamese company is a company that registered and established under Vietnamese law. So that 100% foreign invested company is also Vietnamese company.*

That said, you do not need a Work Permit to apply for a DN Visa, only an Invitation of immigration from a Company is enough, and it last 1 year. A LD Visa is required a Work permit to be able to apply for, have 2 years validation, but you will only permitted to stay for 1 year first, after that...I don't know...the law do not said that you can or cannot extend such 1 year staying time (even with a 2 years working Visa), but said that you will apply for a TRC after that. (Haiz, what a law!).

If you want to apply for a TRC sponsor by a company, apply for a LD Visa (= working visa) first. DN Visa holder is not eligible to apply for a TRC. That is right.   

For example, if a big boss from mother company want to visit the company, he can apply for a DN Visa. Cause there is a Vietnamese company who will sponsor and take responsibility of him here."

Thanks Van, you're right that translation wasn't the best, it's this sort of translation that makes Visa rules difficult to understand, another example is the VEC, and when someone starts quoting the translation word for word , well, you can see what happened on this page. ( and other threads ).
One day the VN Govt might actually work a new law/rule out properly before actually making it law, ( and they had 4-  5 months to implement this one ).

bluenz wrote:

Hi Bluenz

For example, if a big boss from mother company want to visit the company, he can apply for a DN Visa. Cause there is a Vietnamese company who will sponsor and take responsibility of him here."

Thanks Van, you're right that translation wasn't the best, it's this sort of translation that makes Visa rules difficult to understand, another example is the VEC, and when someone starts quoting the translation word for word , well, you can see what happened on this page. ( and other threads ).
One day the VN Govt might actually work a new law/rule out properly before actually making it law, ( and they had 4-  5 months to implement this one ).

Dear Bluenz

This translation maybe a little better.

Immigration Law 2014 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WBH_ … sp=sharing

Dear Bluenz

Thanks again Van, I already have that one as well, ( but when it's downloaded it's corrupted ), I see the date was June 16, 2014, but obviously it applies to the new rules, 2015, so they've had a year to implement these.

It still isn't all that clear re the LD or DN Visa's though.
8.   DN - Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam.
16  LD- Issued to people who come to work.          ( that should be Businesses, i.e, schools, etc? ).

I did however finally see something I've been looking for, ( don't know how I missed it before??? ). Ah, now I know why, when it was downloaded it was corrupted and isn't there, I saw it on your link though, but can't copy and paste it.

Article 36  Re Temp Residence Cards
Holders of a  LD,TT , etc, shall be issued with TRC with the same symbols.

Article 38
The duration of a TT holders TRC shall not exceed 3 years.

Last time I saw that , it was still being " considered ".
Unfortunately this will only be able to be done in cities like DN, Hanoi, HCMC, etc, it will only confuse the officials in my city.
I can't help wondering why there is never any mention of the VEC in any of these links??? I had read somewhere it was being replaced by the TT, and 3 yr TRC, which made perfect sense. But it is still being issued, ( to previous holders at least ), and to one person I know in Australia.( about 2 months ago )

I hope you get to read this, the expat-blog are doing their rounds and deleting everything " slightly " off topic, as usual.
FB is sounding better all the time!!!!

bluenz wrote:

Dear Bluenz

Thanks again Van, I already have that one as well, ( but when it's downloaded it's corrupted ), I see the date was June 16, 2014, but obviously it applies to the new rules, 2015, so they've had a year to implement these.

16  LD- Issued to people who come to work.          ( that should be Businesses, i.e, schools, etc? ).

I did however finally see something I've been looking for, ( don't know how I missed it before??? ). Ah, now I know why, when it was downloaded it was corrupted and isn't there, I saw it on your link though, but can't copy and paste it.

Article 38

Unfortunately this will only be able to be done in cities like DN, Hanoi, HCMC, etc, it will only confuse the officials in my city.
I can't help wondering why there is never any mention of the VEC in any of these links??? I had read somewhere it was being replaced by the TT, and 3 yr TRC, which made perfect sense. But it is still being issued, ( to previous holders at least ), and to one person I know in Australia.( about 2 months ago )

I hope you get to read this, the expat-blog are doing their rounds and deleting everything " slightly " off topic, as usual.

Dear Bluenz

Article 12. Cases of visa-free entry
5. Vietnamese people residing overseas who have passports or laissez-passers issued by foreign authorities, foreigners being their spouses or children; foreigners being spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens shall be granted visa-free entry as prescribed by the government.

=> VEC is still there. TT Visa is a new one, a supplemental one, not to replace VEC.

Regarding DN and LD Visa, this may easier for you to understand

DN is stand for Doanh Nghiệp, mean Business
LD is stand for Lao Động, mean Working.

=> As long as you are an employee, receiving salary from the Company, you have to obtain  a Work Permit and then Work Visa aka LD visa
You come to work with a Company but not its employee, just a kind of guest or partners, the Business Visa aka DN Visa.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Dear Bluenz

Article 38

Dear Bluenz

Article 12. Cases of visa-free entry
5. Vietnamese people residing overseas who have passports or laissez-passers issued by foreign authorities, foreigners being their spouses or children; foreigners being spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens shall be granted visa-free entry as prescribed by the government.

=> VEC is still there. TT Visa is a new one, a supplemental one, not to replace VEC.

Regarding DN and LD Visa, this may easier for you to understand

DN is stand for Doanh Nghiệp, mean Business
LD is stand for Lao Động, mean Working.

=> As long as you are an employee, receiving salary from the Company, you have to obtain  a Work Permit and then Work Visa aka LD visa
You come to work with a Company but not its employee, just a kind of guest or partners, the Business Visa aka DN Visa.

Thanks, so it is, I get used to seeing the initials of Visa's so often , I don't look for the " fine " print anymore..
"  foreigners being spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens shall be granted visa-free entry as prescribed by the government "
Do they apply for the VEC once they arrive??
My friend is married to a VN, but he just received a VEC in Aus, to come to VN, is this like not needing a Work Permit if you own a business, ( but still need a Work Permit Exemption ).

Still, I'd much prefer a TT Visa with 3 yrs TRC, than having to do the 90 day requirements, ( ok for people in the city though, if they haven't much else to do ),

bluenz wrote:

is this like not needing a Work Permit if you own a business, ( but still need a Work Permit Exemption ).,

haha, interesting observation. Yes its sound similar, thanks to let me know

I think TT visa is for 1 year, right?. How is that possible to get 3 year TRC?
Moreover, TRC itself is a visa. So why need a TT visa?  :)

bluenz wrote:

Still, I'd much prefer a TT Visa with 3 yrs TRC, than having to do the 90 day requirements, ( ok for people in the city though, if they haven't much else to do ),

charmavietnam wrote:

I think TT visa is for 1 year, right?. How is that possible to get 3 year TRC?
Moreover, TRC itself is a visa. So why need a TT visa?  :)

bluenz wrote:

Hi

1. Validation of a TRC is not depends on validation of the Visa. It depends on Work Permit, business licence and passport's validation, and also your desire (how long you want then how much money you have to pay).

2. TRC is issued for some kind of Visa holders only, not for all kind of Visa. For example Tourist Visa, Business Visa are not able to apply for a TRC. So that you need a proper Visa in order to be eligible to apply for a TRC.

Article 36. Cases in which temporary residence cards are issued and symbols of temporary residence cards
2. Foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ, TT visas shall be issued with temporary residence cards with the same symbols.

Important Information (TRC)
1. The card holder does not require a Vietnamese visa  :)

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

2. Foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ, TT visas shall be issued with temporary residence cards with the same symbols.

charmavietnam wrote:

Important Information (TRC)
1. The card holder does not require a Vietnamese visa  :)

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

TRC holders from 2015 have to have a Visa before applying for a TRC. Only if you already have a TRC before and now you want to renew it, then a Visa is not required anymore.