Is 1250 KWD managable?

Hi All,

My company has offered me to shift to Kuwait for 1 year in 1250 KWD . I am a software engg with 5 yrs exp. Can someone please suggest me is this offer is good. I have a wife too which will come along with me. Somene please help me in taking my decision.

Yes, it is manageable.

Hi,
Thanks for you reply.

Could you please help me in breakdown of the expenses like how much for rent, food car etc.

rumit0304 wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for you reply.

Could you please help me in breakdown of the expenses like how much for rent, food car etc.

Please read through the posts in the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page. There is information there on cost of living etc.

Yes, it is good salary for family of  two persons,  medical should be free for you and your wife. Please find below breakdown of the expense

House rent 1 bhk: KD 270-300
Home made food+outside food 3-4 times in a month+outing: KD 200.

You can save approx KD 700/750 .

Hello rumit0304, is that salary all inclusive or are you entitled to any allowances like Housing, Transportation/Car/Fuel, Food etc? Your medical insurance of course will be covered by your employer. Are you entitled for any bonuses, incentives etc too?

I believe the salary is not bad for a start, especially if your only dependent is your wife and you do not have any children at the moment (you have not specified this). A decent 2 Bedroom Apartment will cost you anywhere between 280-350 KD per month as rent depending on the area and the location you choose. Food, Groceries and other Household expenses can cost anywhere between 80-100 KD if you do smart shopping by taking advantage of special offers at Super & Hypermarkets. Weekly outings & excursions can cost another 50-80 KD depending on the activities you do. Other expenses like Mobile, Fuel etc can cost another 50 KD maximum. You can still save more than half your salary. Is that good enough for you? You must remember that you will have to pay for the residence and medical insurance of your wife if your Co. will not provide that to you. So you need to make provision for that. Maybe your wife can also find work later on depending on her qualification and experience. That will only add to your Income as well as Savings ultimately.

I hope the above info will be helpful to you in taking the right decision. Good Luck!1

Hello all :)

@rumit0304 :

This thread will give you an idea of cost of living in kuwait : Cost of living in Kuwait – 2015

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you all for your valuable reply.
Company will not provide medical and term insurance. Also, I need to pay rent for apartment. Please help me in below points as well:
1. How much will medical and term insurance cost me for me and my wife.
2. How much will be the rent of 1 or 2 bhk fully furnished apartment in Salmiya
3. How can my wife work here as she will be coming on dependent visa.(She is B.Sc and M.Sc and also software developer)

It will be really helpful if someone please guide me in this.

Company must provide insurance , insist them to provide free medical insurance, here every company gives free insurance to employee and  his/her immediate dependencies 

1) Not sure.
2) 1 BHK: KD 400, 2 BHK-KD : 550 above--furnished
3)  You will have to search a job for her, if she is  lucky she will get , job market is in here not like India

Is she allowed to work here on dependent VISA?

No, work visa requires to work in Kuwait, on one can work on dependent visa  . If she gets an offer from any company , the company will apply work visa for her.

man1234 your reply is confusing, possibly due to grammar mistakes.

rumit0304 your wife cannot work while she is on dependent visa. But she can search for jobs as per her qualifications and experience and if she finds a prospective employer the employer should be willing to transfer her residence from your sponsorship to his. I believe it is possible because any employer would rather hire someone who is already available than going through the long, cumbersome as well as expensive process of arranging a new visa for their manpower needs.

ayyaz1972

rumit0304's  question was "Is she allowed to work here on dependent VISA?"

I said "She will not allow to work under depended visa". He didn't ask me whether she can search jobs in Kuwait or not?

Hi,

KWD 1250 is a good amount, however u need to take into some considerations

1. Does ur company providing u fully furnished accomodation ?
If not, then the cost of same in Bneid Al Gar is approx KD 250 for one BHK -u need to negotiate
If u are comfortable with shared accomodation (with Indian families) this can go down tiil KD 175 or so. Many Indians expats are doing so.

2. Does ur company providing u to & transportation ?
If not, i probably guess that ur office will be somewhere in Shuwaikh, cost of transportation via taxi (being the only mode of transport -on full rental basis will cost u approx 2 KD one way)

3. Food is good, and for a family of two -the average cost is approx 3 KD (food from a good restaurant).
U can get Indian food there (added costs are there)

4. Calls to India : These are cumbersome (u need to check as per ur usage)

5. Annual Airfare : Check with ur company whether they are providing once every year or twice. Because during the days of leave, say ramadan or else, the fares can dearly go upto 200 KD

6. If u need to go out with ur family to some restaurant, say KFC, u'll be spending almost 15 - 20 KD per visit on a bucket of chicken, fries and coke.

7. A litre of milk will cost u nearly 1.5 KD, tea flakes or bags will be so.. It depends. Chicken will cost u approx 1 - 1.5 KD, U also need to take care of drinking water -it will cost u approx 15-20 KD per month.

Well this is just a snapshot, calculate all ur spends then negotiate with ur company.

Regards

People live here on much less, and much more. It will help you to look at rental costs for a two (?) bedroom apartment. Will you need a car? Will the company help you get a license? That is not assured any more. Also, look at the topics on this blog. It has cost of living information. Will your wife work?

I make the same salary, but so does my husband. The rent is covered by the company, and we have two cars, a maid, and a nice apartment we have a good deal on.

Do some more research. Ask the right questions. You'll figure it out.

Good Luck!

hello my drar brother sister and others,

I am from india , odisha I belong to Muslim community and belong to very poor family . I want to get  a job in Kuwait ...

plz contact me for suggest or reply

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share personal contact infos on the forum.

First of all what is your nationality?  Second compare the rate to your home of record.  Third,is the company going to pay for your housing and ttransportation? 
Ensure that the company will sponsor you for a driver's license and medical health. These are the question you should ask....living in Kuwait is not cheap especially if u are from the west...the rent is always higher for us westerners.  Is the company willing to buy your spouse ticket....the less money u spend the better it is.  Everything in Kuwait is about money....depending where you live you would have to deal with dirty and rude people. Respect is hard to find here especially  if u ware from the East....a lot of Kuwaitis treat other with no respect and a lot of the easterners don't understand respect.

Housing is expensive in kuwait, it will depend which area you'll be living of course,,,or transport if you have to purchase a car.

Depending on all facters....where u live....transportation...food....gas..insurance...will your family be with u....school for your child....life style.....and what's is your company welling to supply u with.  And what is your long term goal.
Where u come from and how well u want to be when u go back home.

It will be ok as long as you have no children in school
One room apartment for 280-300 kd