What do you like or love about Vietnam (Expats only)

We are attracted to this country for a wide variety of reasons - wondering if you would like to share the very positive things about Vietnam that makes it unique for you.

On a personal note, my list includes:

- I like the VN people above many other cultures and think they are both smart and industrious
- The countryside and nature can be breathtaking
- The cultural diversity especially in the north is very rich and colourful
- I like the buzz associated with economic growth and opportunity
- Low cost of living and probably 25% of the costs versus living in Hong Kong or Singapore

You ?

There is great food to be had both Vietnamese and Western. I had a most delightful lunch today at Quan An Vietnamese Bistro not far from the Intecontinental Hotel their chả giò is to die for.

There is a kindness and caring in the people that is hard to match.

There is opportunity for those who care to work for it.

The cost of living is favorable

Once you step inside off the grotty streets teeming with traffic there is often style, grace and modern features inside even some of the smallest hotels and cafes.

I lov the people and countryside
however there is too much corruption on the street level from the traffic police to the very top. The bureaucratic system that cannot see the suffering ; no infrastructure plan to improve health care, schooling, transport. The official only care about their unproductive and useless propaganda. Typical animal farm story. Sad to see the country going backwards...
Probably better in some way then the Yankee ways a system that bring progress in the name of prostitution, undesirable dropouts, drugs, addicted, high crimes, pollution, racial tensions and dirty unsafe city streets.    thats my story..

Ottvantor wrote:

We are attracted to this country for a wide variety of reasons - wondering if you would like to share the very positive things about Vietnam that makes it unique for you.

- I like the VN people above many other cultures and think they are both smart and industrious
- Low cost of living and probably 25% of the costs versus living in Hong Kong or Singapore

You ?

It is a good thread idea.
However,as you may know already, this "expat" blog ,Vietnam forum has a large community of Vietnamese as members.(More VN members than actual expatriate members,who knows?)
To say (expats only) would prevent them from their 2 cents (or more likely 2'000 cents) worth of opinions about themselves as a nation,their feelings on- country,culture,weather,traffic,hygiene etc. etc.

So,back on track.
What I like/love about VN ---
-Rain.And you know in the rainy season it WILL rain.Early or late,it will rain and rain.
-Motorbikes.What can be better than a motorbike nation? Everyone understands about danger,dirt and dust,wet shoes in the rain. Not many in western nations do.
-Clothes.Wearing trousers,leather shoes and a dress shirt to go out somewhere (other than a funeral or wedding) does not get strange stares.It's quite acceptable to dress nicely when going outside.
-Cash society- With a wallet full of  notes,you really know what your budget is and are aware of price differences.Using a card removes your sense of what you are spending.
-TV. Where else in the world can I watch classic local movies and soap operas that are quite funny at times.And the cable cost per month is what a day rate is in some western countries.

jimbream wrote:
Ottvantor wrote:

You ?

It is a good thread idea.
However,as you may know already, this "expat" blog ,Vietnam forum has a large community of Vietnamese as members.(More VN members than actual expatriate members,who knows?)
To say (expats only) would prevent them from their 2 cents (or more likely 2'000 cents) worth of opinions about themselves as a nation,their feelings on- country,culture,weather,traffic,hygiene etc. etc.

So,back on track.
What I like/love about VN ---
-Rain.And you know in the rainy season it WILL rain.Early or late,it will rain and rain.
-Motorbikes.What can be better than a motorbike nation? Everyone understands about danger,dirt and dust,wet shoes in the rain. Not many in western nations do.
-Clothes.Wearing trousers,leather shoes and a dress shirt to go out somewhere (other than a funeral or wedding) does not get strange stares.It's quite acceptable to dress nicely when going outside.
-Cash society- With a wallet full of  notes,you really know what your budget is and are aware of price differences.Using a card removes your sense of what you are spending.
-TV. Where else in the world can I watch classic local movies and soap operas that are quite funny at times.And the cable cost per month is what a day rate is in some western countries.

Yeah, I was explicit in the "expats only" due to the large amount of non-expats on here to make friends, learn English  and sell us stuff. I too am a rain fan and nothing better than being in a garden or park under a traditional structure open on all sides in a torrential rain storm. Second to that is running in the rain.

There's a lot of things I hate about Vietnam that I can easily fill a whole screen with.

But I've lived in Vietnam for 2 years now and I love every day of my live.

- sandals no socks everyday
- having hour long coffees with my brothers and always mingling with the relatives
- dogs they are fun to play with
- more bang for the dong
- convenience of motorbikes and purchasing my meals sitting on my motorbike
- fresh food everyday
- weather
- laid-back
- feel safe (I come from a rough neighbourhood in Canada)
- never a boring day even though I spend my days doing nothing productive

There were a lot thing I love in Vietnam, But few things I really hate

a bunch of group around the city's  they are stealing thing's from other no matter thus are an expat or local.  I have seen some case like that.

Gorgeg wrote:

There were a lot thing I love in Vietnam, But few things I really hate

a bunch of group around the city's  they are stealing thing's from other no matter thus are an expat or local.  I have seen some case like that.

While you still have time to edit your response - can you please re-focus on the things you like or love as I am sure someone will create a different post on "what do you hate about Vietnam" but that's not this one. Thanks for your understanding.

I love the diversity that Vietnam has to offer.  I mean, here, one can jump from a scooter to a Bentley in an instant, try tofu and monkey brain at the same table, or share a bottle of wine with a truck driver and a multi-millionaire in a single sitting...  Not that I enjoyed all, or most, of them.  But, I love the fact that they are there...  Readily available.