Moving to Lebanon in 6 months

Hello everyone,

We will be moving to my husband country in 6 months along with our 6 month old son and I wanted to know if anyone would recommend us taking a counter with our belongings or just pay extra for extra suitcase at the airport. I would like to bring most of our clothes.. I really want to bring our bed, but that might not be possible...Just some adivse would be great.

Thank you
Nita

Welcome to Expat-blog, Nita :)

Hope that members soon reply back to you.

Regards,
Sheetul

I would definitely opt for the extra suitcase - even at $175 per luggage (emirates airlines).
I tried shipping goods to save and ended up paying $1100 in import fees and taxes on goods worth less than $1000! (approx weight 300lbs)

At least with the extra luggage, you are likely not to pay any duties at the airport.

I agree with USA in that you should bring an extra suitcase. I too spent $1100+ in fees to ship 10 boxes from the US and most of my belongings came broken or damaged. Will never do that again. 

Also, I recommend you buy clothes for your baby in the US because childrens clothes here are very cute, but very expensive.   I paid $70 US dollars for a small lightweight shell jacket for my 4 year old. Could have bought the same thing at The Gap for half the price. 

Good luck with your move. Should you need any other info I'd be happy to help.  I was in your shoes 4 months ago but I reached out to another mother on the Expat.com and she helped me out tremendously.

Take care~Alicia

I agree with the previous posts.  Go with the extra suitcases, it will be cheaper in the long run and you will have immediate access to them.  In addition to clothing for you and the baby, bring a supply of Children's Tylenol and saline nose drops, lil tummies belly gas drops and whatever formula you are currently using.  Stock up on those items and you'll be glad you did.

As far as your beds, it may be worth considering a container.  If you want to set up a house here, it is very expensive.  We had all our things shipped over and it helped alot with the transition for me to have them.  In Lebanon, its all about having connections though.  Make sure you do your homework on shipping and import fees. 

I am in Saida, if you need any info of the area, let me know.
Good Luck with the move, your very brave.