CPF - HOW TO GET IT (it´s free and very fast)

Morning from Sao Paulo,

Got my CPF last thursday (06708/2015). I am a spanish citizen, but i am sure it it's the same process for all expatriates.

Firs i paid a small fee (less than 6 Rs.) in the Banco do Brasil (i paid it in a branch located in Praça General Gentil Falcâo, Brooklyn Novo). Bring your passport and ID. They will fill out a form (a couriosity, they will ask for your motherŽs name because it will be included in the data, this -by the way- is something common in Brazil). They will print out a form and then they will ask you to take that form to the Ministerio de Fazenda.

Ministerio de Fazenda (http://www.fazenda.gov.br/) is in the Rua Padre José de Anchieta, 76 - Santo Amaro, São Paulo - SP, 04742-000. (11) 5628-1620. Bring your passport and ID. Grab your number, wait for your turn and the civil servant will fill out the data in the computer and then print a cpf for you. If you get there early you can get your CPF in less than half an hour. Hope this is helpful for those coming to Sao Paulo.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg

Hello Claudia,

On behalf of everyone here at Expat-blog welcome on board. I hope your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative.

Good morning from sunny Macaé - RJ, Brazil's petroleum capital.

Seja bem-vinda aqui neste país abençoado por Deus.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Gracias, merci James. I always read your posts with interest. Abraços

Good to hear that Claudia! I hope you will participate in the forums as much as you read too, we all have much to offer. Living in Brazil is not always easy, there is so much to learn and we have strength in numbers. Like they always say... two heads are better than one.

Cheers,
James

That's funny because I was reading on the Receita Federal website how foreigners can get a CPF and they said that a translation of the passport (traducao juramentada) is necessary. I started to quote translation services online for that purpose. So is it necessary or not to have a juramentada translation of your passport to get a CPF?
Thanks

No translation of the passport is necessary in order to obtain your CPF. Also if you wish you can even apply for your CPF at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil at home even before you come here. I don't know exactly what the process is there, but it can be done. It is much easier here in Brazil and you can do it directly through the Receita Federal, Correios or Caixa Econômica Federal. At the Receita you get the CPF number right away and they give you the website to print off the card, and where your CPF can be electronically verified by anyone who cares to do so. There is no plastic wallet card issued anymore as was the case in the past.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you again James. I'm already in Brazil, I just arrived on September 1st and I'm in Florianopolis so I'm gonna try to go to a post office or maybe straight to the receita (I guess it doesn't matter?) but look how things are confusing, on their website they mention twice the need of a sworn translation of my passport.
That's why I came here to check. I'm glad I can trust you.
Thank you

If they haven't changed the system since I got my CPF, if you apply at the post office, you'll end up having to go to the Receita Federal to finalize the process anyway.... dumbass rules, since you don't have a "Titulo Eleitoral" (voter's card), because we expats can't vote, you have to go to the Receita with your passport to tell them,...... hey, I'm an expat, can't vote and that's why I don't have a Titulo. Dumb, huh??? That's Brazil for you.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James,

I agree with what you said. My husband got his CPF in the consulado Geral in Madrid, i got it once in Sao Paulo. Our passports are in spanish and we didn´t need to translate anything and as i said we got the CPF straight away!

I didn't need a translated passport a month sand a half ago , CPF by far the easiest document to get

James wrote:

If they haven't changed the system since I got my CPF, if you apply at the post office, you'll end up having to go to the Receita Federal to finalize the process anyway.... dumbass rules, since you don't have a "Titulo Eleitoral" (voter's card), because we expats can't vote, you have to go to the Receita with your passport to tell them,...... hey, I'm an expat, can't vote and that's why I don't have a Titulo. Dumb, huh??? That's Brazil for you.

Cheers,
James

Decreto/Lei 6.815 the Estatuto de Estrangeiro, which prohibits foreigners from voting (or even being involved with any political party) has only been around for 35 years. When you can't vote, and thus don't get a Titulo Eleitoral and need to produce your passport and on the application for the CPF indicate your nationality the people at the Receita Federal can't read what's on the application form, put 2 and 2 together and figure out WHY you don't have one? You have to go there and draw them a diagram??? Really now, how bright is that?

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team.

Hello all! Am I able to obtain a CPF with my tourist visa or is it only for permanent residents (or people with a more permanent visa)?

Try to get it from the embassy of Brazil in your country.

Hi Cialily,

Anyone can get a CPF, you can apply for a CPF through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Boston.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Does anyone know.... My friend says I can get my CPF online and showed me a site. Would this work for an expat/visitor???

Hi Phil,

No you can't get your CPF online, what your friend showed you is probably the site where you can print off your CPF if you already have one. The plastic CPF cards are no longer issued, thus the creation of the site to print off the card and to verify the validity of a CPF number. It is possible for a Brazilian to obtain a CPF online, but he/she must have a Voter's Card - that eliminates expats from the process completely.

You can apply for your CPF at any post office in Brazil, the Caixa Econômica Federal or directly at the Receita Federal. If you're outside of Brazil you can even apply for your CPF through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that has jurisdiction over the city where you live.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Woo hoo. Thank you to James and everyone posting here. I got my CPF at the Ministério da fazenda in the center of Rio.  I could have done it all in one day but I went late to Correios yesterday. It was pretty simple. Just taking numbers and waiting. I think if I had a document with my mothers name the woman at the ministério would have been a little happier but she processed it and was very nice.

With all the advice here I knew what they were talking about. It made the process much easier. And I impressed my Brazilian friends navigating The process. With out them being there

Great info on the CPF. Just what I was looking for.
Thank you!

mHi Guys,
I am going to arrive in Brazil (Rio) on 19-05-2017, I will need the CPF for my wife delivery (expected on 10-06-2017).
Has the procedures changed ? what is the fastest way to get the CPF issued as it is mandatory for the clinic payment.

Regards
Mohamed

Go to the receita federal with your passport and it will take about 1hour. It is issued on the spot. You may need other documents as well but this is all i needed in aracaju

Thanks Cejames hopefully they don't ask me about proof of address

they don't usually ask for proof of address

Good Morning All

I am in Aracaju and trying to obtain a CPF. Is it correct only passport is needed or are other documents needed also please.

My Passport is a UK issued EU passport.

Thank You

Manoj

Yes, you will just need your passport and then they will ask you a few simple questions. Assuming that the process is the same in Aracaju as it is in Rio then you just need to go to Ministerio da Fazenda or Receita Federal with your passport.

Mkp000888 wrote:

My Passport is a UK issued EU passport.

Citizenship doesnt matter

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your help,  the process was quite smooth and done within 30 minutes. The Passport was required and I showed my fu birth certificate as my parents name was required.

Hoping one day the other processes become this easy!!

Thanks Again

Manoj