TESOL in Australia or VIetnam

Hi Guys,

I am planning my overseas trip for next year and one thing I am contemplating if i do a TESOL qualification here or overseas.

A brief overview of what I plan, I am taking 12 months off work to travel S.E Asia and an attempt to live in Vietnam if i like it, if it doesn't work out I can come back here to Australia and go straight back into my job.

As I don't have a university degree a TESOL is a must as I understand i'll be working on a tourist visa and at a lower rate but that's fine as long as I earn enough to survive i'll be happy as my motivation isn't about earning huge dollars.

I was looking at completing a TESOL cert with http://www.ataonline.edu.au which will set me back approximately$2000 - $2500 this includes 5 days of classroom training and completing 3-5 electives online, they also have an affiliation with http://hjconsultancysaigon.com.au/ which charge $479US to provide a range of employment service and opportunities to you.

I guess my dilemma is I might outlay $3000 for this and not even use it as I may just travel 12 months (will have enough money) and come back to Australia which is why I was thinking of obtaining a TESOL overseas once I realise I want to stay long term.

One thing I liked with http://ataonline.edu.au/ they seem to have quite a few contacts and job offerings on their facebook page for work in other countries, I'm not sure if other TESOL providers overseas have similar.

Thoughts on the best thing to do?

Thanks

You can take the same institution here in Vietnam with a cheaper rate. Of course quality may vary  :)

Hi Iwonder,

All good questions.

My experience in Vietnam, and I have been here three years, is that on-line TESOL course are not that valuable to employers here. They want to know that you have been teaching real classes, and a range of student age groups.

The worst thing that can happen, is that you live in Nha Trang for the month...a beautiful location........and learn a new skill.........

Best of luck

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Post edited - no free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Forget it. No degree you are wasting your time.

Thanks I'll check out that site sounds interesting free accommodation, I would rather in class learning that online as I feel I'll learn and adapt better to teaching.
*Just checked that site out looks good exactly what I was looking for, glad to see I could do the course in Vietnam if I want to :)

No degree your wasting your time hrmm I have spoken with several people lately as I have reached out to quite a few people in a similar situation to me who have been and are currently teaching in Vietnam on a tourist visa and didn't have an issue.

But your welcome to your opinion Nemodot! thanks for your contribution to my thread.

Iwonder wrote:

Thanks I'll check out that site sounds interesting free accommodation, I would rather in class learning that online as I feel I'll learn and adapt better to teaching.
*Just checked that site out looks good exactly what I was looking for, glad to see I could do the course in Vietnam if I want to :)

No degree your wasting your time hrmm I have spoken with several people lately as I have reached out to quite a few people in a similar situation to me who have been and are currently teaching in Vietnam on a tourist visa and didn't have an issue.

But your welcome to your opinion Nemodot! thanks for your contribution to my thread.

Be careful of "rumours" fact is it is 'illegal' to teach EFL (paid) without a degree in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam. In the past many in Vietnam and Thailand got away with it but in Thailand they tightened up a lot (good job by military government) and Vietnam I also know very well. Malaysia you cannot get an educational work permit without a degree.

Obviously a few dodgy places break the rules and commit fraud by submitting fake qualifications on your behalf - mostly without your knowledge. Guess who does time in jail when caught? Or usually pays a 5,000 or so USD "fine" funded by desperate parents followed by deportation.  Also pay is significantly less and these places really suck to work in.

You can volunteer (unpaid) in Thailand (not sure about Vietnam) without a degree if under 20 or doing an undergrad degree if a little older.

In Malaysia some MoE programmes allow undergrads/young grads to do internships/junior positions so I am told - these are not with commercial EFL places but in schools with the likes of Brighton Education.

It's possible to work in Vietnam without a degree at a public school.I believe you'll have some trouble if you are trying for an English center.

I came here with a certification in TESOL but also had a teaching certification and 5 years experience in America. I recommend you do a Celta certification. People view that as extremely useful and you have a better chance to be hired at better facilities.

If you are going to be hopping from country to country then you don't need to worry about a business visa or work permit. Just keep moving.

I know an owner of a school in Vietnam and asked. You need a degree.

Working workout a work permit is a serious offence. Leading to jail and or deportation. Having your passport stamped as deported for illegally working isn't fun as you will never travel again! Seriously you don't want that. Other countries will refuse you entry.

And of course breaking the law is something no one here should suggest. Save up money then travel.

Kids in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia etc deserve better than a half hearted unqualified teacher. I have seen the damage this does to students and committed teflers who lose jobs to the mass of youngsters who think teaching English is easy. It takes years to mould a good teacher.

I would recommend Australia-Vietnam skills and education or AVSE.

Its 1699 USD for the 4 week course, you get free accommodation and they guarantee employment.

They provide an Australian accredited course which is internationally recognised.

Check it out at avse.edu.vn *

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please share contact infos only in private.