If you were me, where in PR would you go?

There are many attractive looking and sounding places in PR. From experience (and the data shows) that once a person lands in a spot though, they tend to live around that same area for quite some time. For example, when living in a big city, I never moved across town even though there were some attractive places across town too.

I like to swim, bike and run in safe areas. While retired and not that fast, I can easily spend half of my day doing that and recovering from that. It's actually a pretty cheap way for me to spend my time. I prefer full size, regulated pools and currently swim at a small college pool and have an LA Fitness membership. Can swim in the ocean. Ride the bike when traffic isn't heavy or indoors. Same with running. Pretty flexible.

Well educated, like architecture and culture. Speak, read and write Spanish. Do not mind rural either as I come from a farming / restaurant background.

Ponce seems attractive with beach, city, rural and then up into higher elevations. San Juan sounds like it would have it all; yet at a higher price and more city to cross.

And then there are all the other places in PR that I would like to hear about to research before I come for a few weeks or months.

Suggestions on places?

Bring my bike with me when I first come down? Or buy one there? It worked well for me in Bogota years ago as I met a lot of great people.

Would also like to rent and live with a PR family so they can help introduce me to the area while there.

Thank you in advance for answers based on your experience in PR.

Most folks seem to go for Rincon, The North West Coast ...North East Coast and the gated communities. I am a rarer bird settling in Ponce. As you mentioned the architecture, culture and close proximity to the mountains. Ponce seems to be low on the totem poll of popularity but if you look a bit deeper it has memorable qualities that a creative person could easily find fodder for expression. We go to a beach that offers none of the beach attractions that tourists would look for but you can drive your car up to the waters edge and that is great for my friend with walking challenges. It is a favorite spot for fishing and within the last 4 years it has been designated a nature preserve. We have one off those old beautiful homes with no taxes because of its historic value. 12 minutes from the house we have an organic farm at 1200 feet above sea level. I guess we have taken advantage of what this area can offer at a much less cost than other parts of the island and not even available on the mainland and if it was it would certainly be out of my limited budget. I think Ponce is for the more creatively adventurous type. We have our home on airbnb with good reviews. Next we will be putting little cottages on the farm and offering simple lodging with private ecotours to the hike able water falls and to view the Caribbean South Coast Views from the top of the farm. We have a large range of fruits and vegetables and some rather rare on the Island. We will be starting a very small organic market with possible juice and snack bar along with some world class arts and crafts, health massages, etc. We kinda lean towards the young and progressive audience who seek an authentic sort of adventure. They seem to want a quality and original experience without being too fussy. Presently I am only in pr half the year as most of our business is during the winter. I do plan on spending more time there in the near future,

These are 3 places in the east of the island, not as many americans as the west of the island but your Spanish will let you get to know a lot of people. Ill let others talk about the North, South and west of the island.

For biking I would suggest the Ceiba Roosevelt Road Naval Base. The beach name Playa Macho, It is no longer a Military base, loads of roads and passages thru which you can safely drive your bike with little traffic and discover things others in cars don;t get to see. Also the place was sold to developers and they will be building hotels, supermarkets and bringing more life to the area. You can swim there also, the beach is calm so good for swimming. I have not yet found it but there is also a nature park there of Ceiba trees, bikes are probably allowed, if so you will have lots of trails to travel in almost total absent of people, By the way, currently Ceiba town is not as developed as most other places, it is more country. I am buying a property there in the low laying mountains (1000 feet above sea level) which are part of the backside of El yunque which is a rain forest.

Adjacent to Ceiba but to its North Fajardo is another area to consider it has some mangroves, a lighthouse, many restaurants to explore, Major hotel with all sorts of facilities. You also have a ferry there that goes to the Culebra Island and Viequez island, both part of Puerto Rico. There some huge marinas there if you like to take a boat to do fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling or just walk on miniature empty island. Lots of places to swim.

To Ceiba south, there is Humacao, there some swimming spots in the area but the water is not as clear as in other areas I mention due to the river that meets the sea. There is a Huge community there, it is a gated community with so many facilities that it is a small city on its self, it is called Palmas Del Mar. Houses there are very modern and used to be that you could not get a place there for less than 350,000. However due to the economy I heard the places there sell for a song now. I think they have a school there also and kits use golf course cars to go to school. Lots of places inside to drive your bike.

A bike in the country parts of the island is risky, the streets are narrow and very curvy, lots of blind spots. Also some people may not stop if they hit you. Driving a bike in a gated community, along the beaches, or retired military bases would be enjoyable and safe.

I am sure lots of other people will recommend Ponce and Rincon, but each part of the island has its own attributes and beauty the is why we call Puerto Rico, the Enchanted Island.

P.S. we also call Puerto Rico "Boriquen" which was the name given to the island by the original Taino indians.

Hope you find your spot

To learn a little about each of the towns of PR, I recommend you start with this web site: http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

As with other suggestions, I feel you should take your time and explore. You are welcome to visit me in Palmas del Mar, which is in Humacao on the east coast.  Then visit the other folks who have responded.----Heck, I have not met most of them so I might tag along for the ride.

Reyp, thanks for the info on Ceiba etc. My first time in Puerto Rico about 18 years ago I stayed in an airbnb. Roosevelt station was still a military base. Sounds like a nice place to visit before the developers come. Yikes...Hopefully the beautiful places do not become like South Florida.

Ceiba developers have a 30 year plan, but I have not seen it. But Florida and Palmas are probably good examples

Glad I asked because this is good information to consider. Wasn't that aware of the eastern coast of PR and it sounds promising too.

It might be a good idea to visit several places and stay for a week or more while spending a month or more in PR this fall/winter. Maybe there could be an expatblog get together to meet on another. The PR blog is encouraging.

I'll keep working on the plan to come and I appreciate the suggestions made.

The east coast is my favorite area. Old San Juan is a good bet as well. I say this without considering the current water rationing, however. Water rationing is an awful thing to live with.

My prefer part of the island is the southwest side...from Ponce down the coast to Lajas valley. Best beaches are in the southwest part, from Guanica thru Rincon. I may be influence to this part since I grew up here thou.... :)

Hi there, we live in Quebradilla which is on the northwest coast of the island. It is a small town between Arecibo and Isabela. We have great access to all the north part of Puerto Rico.You can catch rt. 22(auto expresso) to San Juan in Arecibo and can be beach side or at any restaurant of your choice within 1 1/2 -2 hours. Even though we have many great restaurants, beaches and everything you can want in this side of the island.

As many on this blog have said there are many Americanos in Rincon but you can find some in each town on this coast. We have been here for a year and a month and just love it. I know it helps that we are bilingual but you can certainly learn as you go and natives love it when at least you try.

As you said, it would be great to have a get together of the expats somewhere in the middle. If anyone plans something, let me know.

Take care and welcome to Puerto Rico .Hope that you find the right thing for you.

Tonie