How do you ask for money from back home?

Okay, so every now and again I run into some issues with running low on cash and I need some help from back home. My mum is always a darling and helps me out but I always seem to have to come up with the most exaggerated reasons for why I need the money. For example, I got a flat tire while borrowing my mate's car and had to pay for it since it was my fault.  I had to tell my mummy that it costed $300 which was a lot more than I actually paid.  I felt bad that I had to fib but it's tough out there on your own in a new place and money seems to go quickly.  I am curious of all the other expats out there: How do you ask for money? And what do you say you need it for?

Looking forward to feedback, Cheers!

Are you asking people to help you lie to your Mum?    Why not just tell her the truth?

I thought that I would hear funny or interesting stories of a way you had asked for money. And maybe we could all come together because we have dealt with hardships. I was not asking for "how do you lie for money?" I was simply inquiring with others on when times have been tough, "what you have asked for, why and how?" To connect with others on their personal stories. Asking for money is a hard thing to do and I would never ask if I didn't need it and exhaust every last resource that I had.

good tip

Why don't you just be honest with her. It can be very hard for some people to cope with financial responsibilities, especially in a city like New York.

Dear Brit,

Maybe you'll never read this message, as you are/were signed in as guest and my response is quite late - but I feel the need to do so. At first I was shocked by the fact you lied to your own mother, but later on - after your 2nd message - I realized you are aware of that particular fact already and that you were just curious about how other do when asking their parents for money.

In fact, I'm not (yet) an expat but as s student I already have quite some experience asking my parents for money ;) In the first place you need to be honest with them. They trust you (probably) and if a lie comes out, they will probably do not trust you anymore. I think they can imagine that it is hard to make some money over there, but as you said you do not ask for money if you don't need to do so. From this, in the second place, I suggest you do not spent money on luxury products which are far from necessarily (which some students do). This is the most important of course, although it is not related to your main question. In the third place I always tell them where I would to spent the money on. Sometimes, if lucky, they come up with other things that don't cost money at all! But at least they know where you spent their money on.

Ok, I hope that will do for you. You probably realized all of this already, but I think there are no really innovative ways to ask your parents for money. Just be honest with them and don't waste your money - good luck!

All the best,
Sjoerd