Moving to Brazil

Hi
Just some advice on moving to Brazil. I am a Aussie with a Brazilian wife and I am tempted to head back for a few years with our new born to be closer to her family and then may come back when she goes to school.
I am kind of thinking of selling our house that we 80% own and coming over with the Real currently low.
I am trying to get a idea of savings interest rates over there. I imagine work will be tough to get so I would want to gain some income from investment. With a $1.5M Reals in the bank over there, could we live comfortably? Our family are in Rio but we are thinking of somewhere quieter in the north.

It depends on how you live. I'm budgeting 12-14,000 reals a month for my living situation. We are living in a gated community but it does cost a little more. Plus I got 2 kids in private school. Wife is already working and I'm just starting the resume process right now.

Thanks Craig. Do you know what the local Bank interest rates over there on long term savings accounts?
Everytime I go online I get different numbers.
Cheers,

Yeah I have no idea on savings. Been ATM drawing money out of American bank (1% charge of what I take out). Haven't cracked that nut yet. I will be there full time in December. My budget was based on Goiania, Brazil. Love it there!

AdinQld,

To be perfectly frank with you, unless you have lived for a prolonged period of time in Brazil you should not even consider moving here on a permanent basis, especially if it means selling off everything you own right now. I would strongly recommend that you plan to rent out your home there and come to Brazil on a trial basis and spend at least 6 months to a year if possible and just rent here. Far too many expats come here only to find out that they simply cannot adapt to life in this country.

Coming from developed countries, where all of the infrastructure is in place and actually works. Countries that have governments that actually work for the people and not against them, and don't tax them to death giving absolutely nothing in return. It is difficult to accept these kinds of situations here in Brazil knowing that there is nothing you (or apparently anyone else) can do to change them. Many expats cut their losses and return home, poorer but wiser.

Brazil has a lot to offer, but it is NOT for everyone. Likewise not everyone was cut out for Brazil. Don't make any decisions until you are absolutely sure, and even then don't burn your bridges behind you. Shipping household furnishings here is prohibitively expensive unless you have an employer footing the bill you're better off just bringing small stuff and things that simply cannot be replaced and starting from zero here. If you did that only to find out you made a big mistake and decided to return home again that would be a big financial hit. Come and take a "test drive" first, you wouldn't buy a car without doing that; so why would you immigrate without doing likewise?

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team