Problems with accuracy in Filipino schools

Hello. A friend of mine here in Ormoc got into trouble with the local Catholic School district. The problem was that he, being a PhD in psychiatry, would examine his two children's school work every day. We would find numerous mistakes in textbooks, school lessons and teacher lessons and bring them up to the teachers. For some reason, and I do not really know why, many of the teachers and school administrators would resent his "interference". The situation got so bad that his children were refused admission in all Catholic schools here in Ormoc for the 2014/15 school year.

Now the problem is, my son just started going to a private school here and I have begun to notice errors in lessons just like my friend did! I am no PhD, but I am a retired public school teacher in the US and I believe I know a mistake in K 1 school work!!

Can any one give me some hints on how to approach school officials here regarding correcting mistakes in school/teacher work?  I have noticed that many people here really resent being corrected. I definitely do not want to go through what my friend and his family went through!!

Accept the standards on offer and do some extra coaching at home to fix the gaps. I don't think anything is going to be gained by complaining. It sounds like a universal problem.

Remember the saying "The one that points out the problem, becomes the problem".

Its saddening but humiliating the teaching staff is not going to achieve anything. Positive offers of help might be useful. But if the relationship breaks down, even those are going to be spurned.

Education is not a linear process so there will be opportunities later on to fix any problems. It is a problem in other countries as well.

dondee31 wrote:

For some reason, and I do not really know why, many of the teachers and school administrators would resent his "interference".

I found that many Filipinos in general hate to be told they are wrong. It hurts their pride, and they prefer to refuse to admit it, even to themselves.

My ex wife (Filipina) was the same, and she even confirmed once to me that is the case, and she could not change.

I've taught my new partner that recognising faults allows a chance to learn, and it works :)

There may be hope for future generations :)

I think Gravitas has it nailed.  It is very easy for expats from developed western countries to find fault with everything from the politics to the food.  For what ever reason each of us has for being here, presumably the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and inconveniences. Relax and enjoy the adventure.  I have now doubt that astute Filipino parents educating their children in the west could point out mistakes and errors in the way things are done there too.   I also have no doubt that certain academics from the west would resent such criticism similarly.

rasc91127 wrote:

I think Gravitas has it nailed.  It is very easy for expats from developed western countries to find fault with everything from the politics to the food.  For what ever reason each of us has for being here, presumably the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and inconveniences. Relax and enjoy the adventure.  I have now doubt that astute Filipino parents educating their children in the west could point out mistakes and errors in the way things are done there too.   I also have no doubt that certain academics from the west would resent such criticism similarly.

I Can't agree with you here...Most 1st world nations classify educational standards in the Philippines as substandard at the very best...Even most tuition grants from abroad will not be given for students wanting to attend schools in the P.I. Any Expat wanting a good education for their children should hire an accredited tutor to home schooling or return to their home country should they be from a 1st world nation...

Go out and ask most Philippine High School and College Grads a simple question like what moves the tides of the oceans and you will be astonished by most of  the answers you will receive...I returned to the US for this very reason..I want my kids to have a chance competing for the worlds competitive job market not end up dreaming of becoming a singer, entertainer or business entrepreneur like most graduates in this country...Look around what most college grads end of doing here...Requirements in even some of the fast food places require a college degree...CRAZY...

vetretreat wrote:

.Requirements in even some of the fast food places require a college degree...CRAZY...

That makes sense, after all:
A Philippines College Degree was equal to an Australian High School leaving certificate, according to national recognition standards.

There are several good schools here but you have to pass their entrance examinations before you can get in; there are managers in the states and other countries who are educated here in the Philippines; but admittedly there are substandard schools here in the Philippines; if people want to complain about textbook error, you can lodge a formal complain at the Department of Education; but I think humbly pointing out the error with the principal will work; as to the higher education, students should go to universities instead of colleges;

The moral is in this story itself - Look what happened.

The main losers in the story are the poor children. Being a Smart Alec is not always smart. Surely the bigger picture of the school experience is more important?  Were the children happy (and just the parent unhappy). Were there benefits to grow up into social and caring human beings? etc. etc.

Frankly, the PhD in psychiatry could have caused a lot of damage.

I guess the family are recognised by many now because they have been barred from other Catholic schools.... and have a "reputation". Not good for any expat to acquire one of those.

Cynthiavilla wrote:

students should go to universities instead of colleges;

Some Expats might have problems with that, as many people assume that a college is university

For example in England, Oxford University is made up of more than 30 different colleges.
I also see that Emory University, also called Oxford College, is an American example.

However, my own daughter went to college when she was under 10, but then it was a college for normal primary and secondary education.

I now have no idea what a college is in any country ;)

A college is probably a high achievers educational institution, which takes pupils through to higher level qualifications and therefore quite likely affects their career choice. In the UK we have/had 6th Form Colleges for A Levels and there was/is a two system type of schools. One offered amongst the normal curriculum more practical subjects.

A college did not meet the accreditation to become a University; the accreditation is similar to an ISO;

Cynthiavilla wrote:

A college did not meet the accreditation to become a University; the accreditation is similar to an ISO;

What is an ISO?

ISO - International Standard of Operation; usually for manufacturing; hospital services etc; for colleges to become universities they have to meet accreditation standards by PACUCOA - Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities; PAASCU - Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities; there is another one; they have a very rigid testing before colleges can become universities; when I came back from Canada I saw a proliferation of private colleges; FYI

Hello again.  I talked with my friend, who incidentally now lives on a different island, and he explained to me that he brought errors to the attention of the teachers WHEN his children had been graded down for giving a answer that was actually correct.

When I taught social sciences back home I would give extra credit to any student who found an error in either a text book, department handout or class assignment. There is little room in education for PRIDE.

One last thing, who hurt this man's two children more? A concerned, over eager father, or vindictive teachers, administrators and district officials who black listed two innocent little kids from all Catholic schools in Ormoc?

I am sorry, but as a retired teacher, such behavior is abhorrent to me for any reason.

Thank you all for your help.
dd

dondee31 wrote:

Hello again.  I talked with my friend, who incidentally now lives on a different island, and he explained to me that he brought errors to the attention of the teachers WHEN his children had been graded down for giving a answer that was actually correct.

When I taught social sciences back home I would give extra credit to any student who found an error in either a text book, department handout or class assignment. There is little room in education for PRIDE.

One last thing, who hurt this man's two children more? A concerned, over eager father, or vindictive teachers, administrators and district officials who black listed two innocent little kids from all Catholic schools in Ormoc?

I am sorry, but as a retired teacher, such behavior is abhorrent to me for any reason.

dd

More fun in the Philippines...

Dondee31 - stay neutral.

:idontagree:

Hi,

Approaching the teacher concerned in a nice and professional way is of great help i guess.  But if that kind of approach is still not working, then I think you can go directly to the School personnel and tell them about your problem.

dondee31 wrote:

dd

I don't think someone will be banned from enrolling his / her kids at a certain school unless he / she did something really egregious. I can imagine that they saw your friend as someone who was like waving his PhD diploma in their face, saying they're wrong and he's right by virtue of where he came from.

And gosh, why did your friend need to make a fuss out of an erroneously graded test. And the kids are in what grade level? Preschool?  Did he tell you exactly what transpired when he complained? What was his attitude and demeanor when the teachers refused to accept the correction? Some foreigners can be pompous asses sometimes. The school probably felt they were belittled by your friend's actions and decided to ban him. They put their foot down to teach your friend a lesson.

It doesn't matter who hurt the children the most. Bottom line is they were doubly hurt by their dad and the school.

dondee31 wrote:

Now the problem is, my son just started going to a private school here and I have begun to notice errors in lessons just like my friend did! I am no PhD, but I am a retired public school teacher in the US and I believe I know a mistake in K 1 school work!!

Can any one give me some hints on how to approach school officials here regarding correcting mistakes in school/teacher work?  I have noticed that many people here really resent being corrected. I definitely do not want to go through what my friend and his family went through!!

What grade level is your kid? Kinder 1?!!!

Just my two cents:

Let this go. It's not worth complaining. Just teach your kid what you think is the correct answer.

If you're not happy with your kid's school work, then transfer him to another school. If you're not satisfied with the curriculum, you have the option to home school your kid with home schooling materials from your state, which I think you can expertly do since you used to be a public school teacher in the US.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

Let this go. It's not worth complaining. Just teach your kid what you think is the correct answer.

I can see problems with that, if the child learns different answers to the other kids.

I went through that when me did the move from NSW to QLD in Australia, where some Education things were very different at the time.  The thought of this reminded me of my daughter and school. 

FilAmericanMom wrote:

If you're not happy with your kid's school work, then transfer him to another school.

That bit may be the answer, and is what we did.
But finding one may be a factor.

I do wonder what these Mistakes/Errors/Differences actually are.

ABCDiamond wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

I can see problems with that, if the child learns different answers to the other kids.

I went through that when me did the move from NSW to QLD in Australia, where some Education things were very different at the time.  The thought of this reminded me of my daughter and school. 

FilAmericanMom wrote:

If you're not happy with your kid's school work, then transfer him to another school.

That bit may be the answer, and is what we did.
But finding one may be a factor.

I do wonder what these Mistakes/Errors/Differences actually are.

When finding a suitable school in the P.I., just ask the teaching staff or better yet the principle...What raises and lowers the ocean tides...If they respond the weather or some other unscientific answer you know you are in the wrong school...

vetretreat wrote:

When finding a suitable school in the P.I., just ask the teaching staff or better yet the principle...What raises and lowers the ocean tides...If they respond the weather or some other unscientific answer you know you are in the wrong school...

Gravitational pull of the moon and the sun, and according to some, haarp.

FilAmericanMom wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Gravitational pull of the moon and the sun, and according to some, haarp.

haarp believers will also argue Area 51 harbors alien life!!

I have experienced wrong answers to questions or wrong information given in schools in the Philippines. As I get older I realized that teachers in my native country have taught me wrong. That is how the world work anyway. Our children might as well get used to it.
I can see it seems unfair hen someone is taken down a grade due to one wrong answer. But I believe this will not happen often.
I do not think we can win. It will surely happen in your workplace as well. Often someone in a superior position have a belief which could be questioned. Most time it will not pay off to discuss.

If it happen to my child I would just talk to her and explain what is right and that people all people can be wrong. If you never made mistakes you would never be out of work. That is the kind of person every employer is looking for

Best regards

Knud

Yes the textbooks and tuition are full of errors

Notice all the books are produced in the Philippines which I find ridiculous as I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy established UK, UK or Aus books - but I'm sure that someone would make less money.

I'm afraid the only option is to put up and shut up as Filipinos never complain so you stand out if you do - this apathy is a major cause of the country being so far behind it's neighbors (and slipping more every day)

petehuk wrote:

as Filipinos never complain so you stand out if you do - this apathy is a major cause of the country being so far behind it's neighbors (and slipping more every day)

I tend to agree with this.

Most Filipino's will say, it can't be changed so don't try. Leave it, don't change.

Those that think better, get Visas and leave...

I found that many Filipinos in general hate to be told they are wrong. It hurts their pride, and they prefer to refuse to admit it, even to themselves.

My ex wife (Filipina) was the same, and she even confirmed once to me that is the case, and she could not change.

I've taught my new partner that recognising faults allows a chance to learn, and it works :)

There may be hope for future generations :)

With all due respect to you, I think that to say that generally Filipinos hate to be told they are wrong is a strong sweeping statement.  My siblings and l were taught to humbly accept corrections, and i taught this to my kids as well.  I think it boils down to upbringing on a case to case basis. :)

I am sorry to hear of this sad experience. Perhaps bring it to the next level. like a regional school board if moving elsewhere is out of the question. Here in Metro Manila. you have a better chance of finding really good schools.  :)

katefs4 wrote:

With all due respect to you, I think that to say that generally Filipinos hate to be told they are wrong is a strong sweeping statement.  My siblings and l were taught to humbly accept corrections, and i taught this to my kids as well.  I think it boils down to upbringing on a case to case basis. :)

I understand your point about it being a sweeping statement, and I normally avoid making such sweeping statements, but in this case, it is what I have experienced a lot of during the last 30 years.

I agree that it isn't all, but having been involved/married to a Filipina since the late 1980's.  I have had the opportunity to learn from quite a few.  However, even after a divorce I am still more interested in a relationship with another Filipina, but I have been more careful in choice.  Finding one able to accept criticism and being able to say sorry has actually not been easy.  And I will be honest and say that point has been a very important one to me.

Also having lived in the Philippines for the last two years, I have seen this in situations other than relationships on too many occasions.

I do accept that my comments, when read by what I would call an exception, would be taken badly, and I do apologise for that.

katefs4 wrote:

I think it boils down to upbringing on a case to case basis. :)

Yes.  and I hope that my Fil/Aus daughter follows my lead on this ;)

For everyone to follow what he paid for or of course there will be nothing in reteurn mony wise who ever i think

hey..thanks for the apology..but no i am not just an exception.  I have encountered Caucasians as well who are haughty and proud but i never make a sweeping statement..There is good and bad...everywhere.

dondee31 wrote:

The problem was that he, being a PhD in psychiatry, would examine his two children's school work every day.

How did your friend approach the teachers and the school he when told them of the error?

Case in point:
I believe there's an error in your statement above.  What I can do is just ask you, "Do schools already offer a PhD in psychiatry?", and then wait and see whether you would correct it. Or I could approach correcting it by being pushy and arrogantly criticizing you.

Whatever doctorate degree you have had in your name or many years of practice in your career you've had, be humble.

vetretreat wrote:

I would not have issues if a teacher answers that incorrectly, unless it's the science teacher. Whether here or abroad, I don't expect teachers to know everything there is to know, which is why there's a specialization or major. If in case my son's English language teacher gets confused about the order of operations and gives a wrong answer, it's fine. But if his math teacher makes multiple mistakes in that area, then that would be a concern.

vetretreat wrote:

Go out and ask most Philippine High School and College Grads a simple question like what moves the tides of the oceans and you will be astonished by most of  the answers you will receive...

I'm actually surprised that many US high school and college grads can't get the answer right to a simple order of operations in math, even just the MDAS portion in PEMDAS. Or that they confuse "your" with "you're". And many will answer 8 when asked what is the maximum number of years a US President can serve.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

I'm actually surprised that many US high school and college grads can't get the answer right to a simple order of operations in math, even just the MDAS portion in PEMDAS. Or that they confuse "your" with "you're". And many will answer 8 when asked what is the maximum number of years a US President can serve.

The PEMDAS thing may be due to learning BODMAS instead (The original method with DMAS, not MDAS)
B    Brackets
O    Order
D    Division
M    Multiplication
A    Addition
S    Subtraction

I read this on another site:

8÷2(2+0) =
In US = 2 using PEMDAS
In UK = 8 using BODMAS or the US version BEDMAS

Another of those US - English problems

Re the US president term.. It is 8 years isn't it (in his own right) ?

With PEMDAS, (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract), the answer is 8.

Maximum number of years a US President can serve is 10.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

Maximum number of years a US President can serve is 10.

The problem with that one though is that he can only be elected for 8 years.  It takes something special for the 10 years to be allowed.
A US President can serve up to an additional TWO years if he takes the office after the previous current President leaves office mid term.  This means he is an UN-ELECTED President for that period.  But he is still the President.
A US president can only be ELECTED for a maximum of EIGHT years, over two terms of office.

Most people, and many US government educational websites, state 8 years, as that is the normal situation..

That is similar to the answer to: Can a foreigner own land in the Philippines.
The answer is yes he can.  But it takes something special for it to be allowed.

This will explain why most people will say 8. As that is the number in the American Constitution (with a noted exception).
and why most will say a Foreigner cannot own land, as that is stated in the Philippines Constitution. (with a noted exception).

FilAmericanMom wrote:

With PEMDAS, (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract), the answer is 8. .

But what about when they use BOMDAS, or BODMAS or BIDMAS ?

And that is the point.  We have so many options now, that many people will get confused.

There is an agreed order of operations in Maths called BIDMAS.

BIDMAS stands for Brackets, Indices, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/maths … evision/2/;)

This English v American thing is "interesting"

I was sure I learnt BODMAS in school ;)

Apparently Canada uses BEDMAS, so a Canadian or British or Australian going to the USA would be different.

Surprised anybody bothers with school really  ;)

Gravitas wrote:

Surprised anybody bothers with school really  ;)

With Maths, it can be "interesting" ;)

A mathematician has made this statement: The Order of Operations (PEMDAS/BODMAS) that you learned in elementary school... IS WRONG!!!
Well, okay, it's not incorrect, but it's flawed and by a mathematician's standards: morally wrong.

A mathematician will tell you that 8-2+1 is actually 8+(-2)+1, which is unambiguously equal to 7 even though the standard order of operations (PEMDAS) taught in the US tell you to add first and gives you 5.

It appears that PEMDAS/BODMAS and the others, are the easy ways to do something that may be too complex for non mathematicians, according to mathematicians ;)  The answers aren't too important for us after all :(

I remember using two calculators once, and the same formula gave different answers !!

Anyway 1+1 equals either 2, 3 or 10 depending on which mathematical system, we use ;)

Too many different options, it does the head in !!

Closed