Occupation Permit - what's the right order?

Hi everyone,

My husband, children and I are planning to move to Mauritius on a self-employed occupation permit (via my husband - with the children and me as his dependents). Has anyone done this recently and can you help with the order of things? Does the following sound about right?

* Arrive on a business visa with a return flight booked
* Hand in all our Occupation Permit documents to the BOI at the airport immediately
* Get the occupation permit in 5 working days
* Push our return flight to a time that suits us

Questions:
I have seen 5 working days everywhere, but is this optimistic or realistic? Also when and where do we get the medical side of the permit done? Does that have to be done before we hand in the documents to the BOI?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

(BTW I am British, my husband is French and our children have dual nationality but currently have French passports. We will be coming from the UK.)

The exact chronology is as follows:

(1)  Land on a business visa
(2)  Incorporate your company, open your bank account and transfer funds (Investor)  OR
(2)  Register for BRC, open your bank account and transfer funds (for Self-Employed)  OR
(2)  Get your contract of employment signed by your employer (for Professionals)         OR
(3)  Send your application online, through BOI interface
(4)  Book your appointment with BOI
(5) Go to BOI and submit the original application + original of all required documents

Processing time:5 working days is no longer applicable...neither the 15 working days. Prepare yourself to wait for 1 or 2 months, or more.

NB: you have 120 days on a business visa in a year. You can extend up to 90 days in one go. You have to leave country and come back again for the remaining 30 days.

Only the main applicant should come on business visa. The family (dependent) can be here on tourist visa (max 180 days in a year).

Hope this helps.

All the best
Nadeem

Nadeem,

I perfectly agree with you, and would even go further by saying that this averment comes from the horse's mouth itself.  :D

Indeed, you should be prepared for living in Mauritius from your own funds for these two months prior to the start of the business, and processing of ALL other activities, such as admission in schools etc.

Cheers

Vayid

Thank you Nadeem and Vayid,

This is very interesting as we have French friends who have done it recently (last few months) in this 5 day time zone, and online we have seen on various official Mauritian websites it states 5 business days too....

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Many thanks,
Sophie

FranglaiseMummy wrote:

Thank you Nadeem and Vayid,

This is very interesting as we have French friends who have done it recently (last few months) in this 5 day time zone, and online we have seen on various official Mauritian websites it states 5 business days too....

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Many thanks,
Sophie

"Last few months " means a lot when there has been  a new govt since last December and the stakeholders wrt BOI have changed, thus applications' approval may be delayed, one of the consequences when policies may be or are changing. This is Mauritius after all !

May I suggest/advise that you pay heed to what both Nadeem and Vayid are saying. They have daily ( or most probably)  experience dealing with the BOI  ;)

Thank you very much everyone, that is very good to know! I was basing my information on this website:
http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

But by the sounds of it that might not be valid any longer?

So to be clear, this is what we need to do:

(1)  My husband comes to Mauritius on a business visa, while our children and I travel on a tourist visa or no visa? (Apparently no visa is necessary from the UK for tourists for up to 90 days - is that still right?) We both would need to have return flights booked and accommodation reserved.
(2)  Register for BRC, open your bank account and transfer funds (for Self-Employed)
(5) Go to BOI and submit the original application + original of all required documents

What is BRC? I'm not sure I've come across this term before.

As a tourist, the children and I can stay for 90 days consecutively - is that right? If we're still waiting for the Occupation Permit after this time is it enough to just go to Réunion for a few days and then come back? Or is there a minimum period of absence?

On the business visa how long can my husband stay consecutively? 90 days? And again can he have a short trip to Réunion and come back if we still don't have the Occupation Permit by then?

I'm guessing we should carry out the medical tests as soon as we arrive so as not to hold up paperwork?

If my husband is on a business visa until he gets the occupation permit can he do business during that period?

I have places for my children at Telfair and Tiny Tots, starting in January (we aim to arrive end October), can they start at these places even if we're still waiting for the Occupation Permit?

Finally, we're quite flexible on dates, is there a better period to come than others? For example is it better to avoid public holiday periods like Divali etc?

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate this!!

FranglaiseMummy wrote:

Thank you very much everyone, that is very good to know! I was basing my information on this website:
http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

But by the sounds of it that might not be valid any longer?

So to be clear, this is what we need to do:

(1)  My husband comes to Mauritius on a business visa, while our children and I travel on a tourist visa or no visa? (Apparently no visa is necessary from the UK for tourists for up to 90 days - is that still right?) We both would need to have return flights booked and accommodation reserved.
(2)  Register for BRC, open your bank account and transfer funds (for Self-Employed)

What is BRC? I'm not sure I've come across this term before.
Business Registration Card

http://www.investmauritius.com/media/68 … ompany.pdf

As a tourist, the children and I can stay for 90 days consecutively - is that right? If we're still waiting for the Occupation Permit after this time is it enough to just go to Réunion for a few days and then come back? Or is there a minimum period of absence?
You can ask for another extension up to a maximum of 180 days per calendar year

On the business visa how long can my husband stay consecutively? 90 days? And again can he have a short trip to Réunion and come back if we still don't have the Occupation Permit by then?
Already answered by Nadeem:
NB: you have 120 days on a business visa in a year. You can extend up to 90 days in one go. You have to leave country and come back again for the remaining 30 days.

I'm guessing we should carry out the medical tests as soon as we arrive so as not to hold up paperwork?

If my husband is on a business visa until he gets the occupation permit can he do business during that period?

I have places for my children at Telfair and Tiny Tots, starting in January (we aim to arrive end October), can they start at these places even if we're still waiting for the Occupation Permit?

Finally, we're quite flexible on dates, is there a better period to come than others? For example is it better to avoid public holiday periods like Divali etc?

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate this!!

BTW: Assuming that you do read and understand French , here is an updated guide on Mauritius  for an expat:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=503860

You get the BRC on the spot at the Registrar of Companies.   You fill in a form, pay Rs125 and put the application with a copy of your passport.  You should mention the activity you're planning to do and the address.  BRC = Business Registration Card.

Yes, you have to. You need to have medicals submitted with your application. We are not running the whole list again, assuming that you have read the basic requirements.

Not recommended though legally this can be done as soon as he gets the BRC

Most schools require the Occupation Permit. Some can make arrangements to host the children in meantime

Finally, we're quite flexible on dates, is there a better period to come than others? For example is it better to avoid public holiday periods like Divali etc? Makes no real difference. Maybe avoid the end of year period

Dear Nadeem

Don't you think that it would be illegal for somebody to start operating prior to getting the Occupation Permit, even if he has the BRC, since these two are not necessarily connected?

Cheers

Vayid

Occupation permit is to allow you to stay and work in Mauritius. Business Registration means your business is legally registered. Which means that your business can work ... what do you say ?

Dear Nadeem

I would say that buying a brand new car, irrespective of the price, does not mean that you can drive it.
:(

I would ring or email the BOI, you must do things correctly, http://www.investmauritius.com/contactus.aspx

also check out the latest news from them, this section is updated regularly: http://www.investmauritius.com/download … lines.aspx

Good luck :)

Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful. I have passed it over to my husband as he will be the one applying for the occupation permit.

Right said Vayid. But again, it is debatable from the angle we look at it.  But yes better not venture in controversy.

Reminds me that I bought my first car when I was 16...not even a legal age to drive !  The achievement for me (At that time), was not the ability to drive it...but the pride to own it.  ;-)

Nadeem

I can imagine you salivating and having a special brightness in the eyes when remembering the pleasure of owning your personal car, especially at the age of 16.

I was not this much fortunate at that age. :(

Cheers

Vayid

Oh Vayid. These are material things.
You're surely not aware that I had a heart attack this Saturday and was minutes from the final take-off.

Nadeem

Don't you worry.

You are still too young to visit abode and your mission here is not yet complete, which explain why you did not get VISA.

Cheers

Vayid

Nadeem wrote:

Oh Vayid. These are material things.
You're surely not aware that I had a heart attack this Saturday and was minutes from the final take-off.

Hope  you are doing a OK ( since you are on EB  you must be)
Cut down on those pepsi , doll puris and bryani that you like to enjoy sur le pouce or even at 3 PM  ;)

Hello External...!

Thank you for your kind words. Actually, it's neither Pepsi or Dhall Purri... (I do not like briani at all) :-)
Doctors tell me that I do not eat and sleep enough. Artery collapsed out of tiredness.  What I need to avoid is STRESS !

@ Vayid : I like your reference to VISA  (hehey).

Thanks again
Nadeem

Nadeem wrote:

Hello External...!

Thank you for your kind words. Actually, it's neither Pepsi or Dhall Purri... (I do not like briani at all) :-)

I was just quoting whatever I have read over the years - the one about briani was during a discussion between Vayid and you  btw  :D
Doctors tell me that I do not eat and sleep enough. Artery collapsed out of tiredness.  What I need to avoid is STRESS !
Who can live w/o STRESS these days ? Only thing to do is to try to manage it and avoid worrying about things that are beyond our control
Thanks again
Nadeem