Public or private school

Hi there
Im from south africa and we deciding on moving to mauritius..my hubby is a mauritian.. just wanted to know if the public schools in mauritius have an english medium as my kids only speak english.. my kids are 3 and 5.. will my kids manage in a public school or will they have to go to a private school..  and as an educator wil i beable to teach in a public school..your help and suggestions wil be highly appreciated..

Your children are still quite young. I believe their integration in a public school will not be that difficult. Had they been older things would have been harder. Besides the public schools in Mauritius are not as bad as they are sometimes presented.

Hi Firdoze,
Creole is not so difficult to understand and they should adapt very quickly, the more that your hubby is a Mauritian. I cannot foresee any problem of integration though it depends mostly on the perseverance of the children as well.
With regards to whether you can teach in public schools, you will be allowed to do so subject that there is any vacancy. However, you will have to obtain your teaching licence and apply via the regulatory body (PSC or PSSA as far as I could recall) on the prescribed form, etc. etc. The whole process could end up in weeks rolling into months and lack of patience and meritocracy bashing.
It is preferable to apply in private schools / private colleges - my humble advice.
Thanks.

Thanks for the response.. i guess the kids will adapt.. just concerned if resources at public schools are in english or not.. n whether the curriculum will be similar to s.a in the case of us moving back.. private schools are quite costly in mauritius..

Nylex wrote:

Hi you have to go in a private School  call me when u reach here ***

Hello, this is not correct. They can attend a public school but I believe teaching will be primarily in French at those ages. In my opinion they are at a good age to adapt to a new language and, having a Mauritian parent, they can follow up the language(s) at home too. Best of luck.

I believe your children will have equal exposure to English and French....
Maybe you should contact the ministry of edu for more precise info about the curriculum and other queries which you may have.