What are the biggest adjustments you made when you moved to Budapest?

Hello,
I'm An American with expat experiences in North Africa and the Middle East.  I would like to know what the biggest adjustments some people have had to make while moving to Budapest?  I vacationed there once, but I'm sure vacationing is very different than living there.  I have a family so I would prefer to live in the hilly (pest?) area with a house and backyard/garden.

Is driving easy there?  Do people speak English?  Are schools expensive?  What do you miss from your home country?

The hilly side of Budapest is  Buda not Pest.
What do I miss about the USA, the people mostly and driving a car. I do not drive in Hungary, no it is not easy to drive in the city.
I also miss being able to make people laugh and to have a personality here in Hungary. Most people's English skills are not good enough to understand my humor, I always make people laugh in the US and here it falls flat. I seem to not even try much these days to be a joker. Even saying a friendly word to someone can get you a rude stare.
What I like about Hungary is I have no pressure to work or big money cares, that sometimes seems very shallow though.
I go home at least every 2 years to the US to recharge myself with life energy, going home in a few months again.
The longest I have stayed in Hungary at a time has been about 2 years, that's about my limit before I loose it.
Seriously thinking of working again this trip in the US just to see if I am still a viable person in the workforce.
If I like it, I may just come back to Hungary long enough to pack up and move away for good.
My husband is Hungarian and even he gets weirded out after too much of this place, everyone is just so serious here and people tend to be very judge mental with older people in Hungary. In the US I feel 20 years younger then I feel in Hungary, people put each other in boxes here and sometimes it seems hard to break out.
I met an American women here in Budapest a few years back. At that time she had lived in her beautiful Budapest apt. for 9 years time. She was several years younger then myself and college educated and seemed to come from a family with means. Even she got trapped in Hungary, I asked her if she would ever go back to the US to live and she said there was no place there for her any longer, that scared me half to death to hear her say that.
Nice place to visit but not to let yourself be trapped.
I think in my case I have what my Hawaiian friends would call, "too much energy" HU can be a very slow paced place to live.
Schools I am not sure about. I knew another lady living in Budapest with her HU husband and in-laws 6 years ago here. She sent her 8 year old son to the American school in Budapest. She told me it cost $15,000 a year for his age and for High School level it was $22,000 a year per kid. Seems people who can afford to send their kids to these schools have really great US gov. jobs or just have major bucks. Her FIL paid for the school for a couple years but she had to take him out when her other in-laws made a fuss about him spending so much on just one grand kid. The poor little guy could hardly speak Hungarian although he was born in Hungary. They sent him later to Hebrew school but he still could not speak Hebrew either, his self esteem was down the toilet so that and a few other issues made them leave Hungary, sad really she gave it 10 years of her time.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Is driving easy there?

Do be aware, an American drivers license is valid for only one year in Hungary and only with either a Hungarian translation of the license, or an international driver's license certificate. After one year, you have to get a Hungarian driving license (not trivial to do) or stop driving.

Also see: http://hungary.usembassy.gov/driving.html

Also be aware there is a zero blood alcohol limit for drivers in Hungary.

The good news is the buses and trains are pretty good. Buses go most everywhere. See this for a quick link to public transportation:

http://menetrendek.hu/

Key for the above site:

VOLÁN = Bus
MÁV = Train
BKV = Budapest transportation portal
MAHART = Ferry boats (river and Lake Balaton)

Thank you for such a thoughtful answer.  You really opened my eyes :-)

Thank you Klsallee, I appreciate your response!  How do they know when you hit your 1 year mark driving?  Do they give you a 1 yr temporary drivers license?  Do people obey red lights and stop signs in Hungary?

I love the zero tolerance law, they didn't have that in other places where I lived :)

Tunisiantwist wrote:

How do they know when you hit your 1 year mark driving?

Your visa should have the valid starting date printed on it. You are required to carry nationally (ID card) or internationally (passport) approved identification in Hungary at all times.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Do they give you a 1 yr temporary drivers license?

Your valid US license, an international driving certificate (can be picked up AAA in the US), and your visa is all you need to carry for the first year to drive in Hungary.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Do people obey red lights and stop signs in Hungary?

Overall, stop signs are obeyed. Passing on narrow roads, when one should not, is more a problem. Also see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=503205

Tunisiantwist wrote:

I love the zero tolerance law

As a driver, I agree.

As someone who likes a glass of wine with a meal, having that wine while eating out by car is impossible as I almost always get picked as the designated driver.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

I would like to know what the biggest adjustments some people have had to make while moving to Budapest?

For me, the biggest adjustment has been getting used to the lack of interaction with people from a culture I'm used to. It's not bad per se, but does takes some time to adjust to. There is a general lack of diversity when shopping, so if you have to have certain brands/items that don't exist here, look elsewhere. For me, being unable to find plantains easily is still tough. Also, life is a lot slower than in, say, the US east coast.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Is driving easy there?

For me, yes. Driving in Puerto Rico (where I grew up) is not for the faint of heart, not unlike driving in bigger US cities (NYC, Philly, DC, etc.). Outside of Budapest, driving is easy, though getting used to signage and the myriad crosswalks and tiny hidden traffic lights that pop out of nowhere can be unnerving at times. Driving in Budapest is just like driving in any big city. People are more aggressive for no reason, but tend to be aware drivers. I agree with the zero-tolerance alcohol law, though it makes having careless fun harder. If you've driven in the Middle East, you'll have a Sunday drive everyday here.

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Do people speak English?

In Budapest, yes, many people do; 3 out of 5 will probably speak it to some degree. For example, when I was apartment hunting in BP, all landlords spoke English quite well. Outside of BP, not so much, maybe 1 out of 10 will speak broken English. If you want to get away from it all, rural Hungary is the place to go; not too far, but disconnected enough ;)

Tunisiantwist wrote:

Are schools expensive?

I couldn't answer this question, but I guess you mean private schools. If you work here (i.e., are a resident) then your children can attend local schools (free, I believe).

Tunisiantwist wrote:

What do you miss from your home country?

The sun, beaches, music, mountains, and mostly, the food. Food here is very good, but it's no Caribbean cuisine! I do not miss the need to drive EVERYWHERE. Here, I can just go about anywhere using public transport. I like to people watch and take in the sights, no matter how many times I pass a place.

Kenyo00
Thank you for your response, you were really helpful.
When you say the lack of interaction, do you mean that hungarians can be a tad cold?  not very friendly?

Driving in the Middle East is crazy!  I can appreciate your knowledge of that! haha
Thanks again