Music in South Africa

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in South Africa? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

Good day

I am a Freelance Recording Engineer, working in various Recording Studios in South Africa.

South Africa, being a country with a lot of different cultures, one can expect different genre's of music.

Below are a few Genre's in South Africa:
1. Maskandi (Traditional Zulu Music)
2. Rap / Hip Hop
3. House / Dance
4. Pop
5. "Boere" Music (Traditional Afrikaans Music)

As far as instruments are concerned, the Zulu's will usually make their own drums: Zulu Drums. Although Zulu's will make their own drums, they still will use instruments like an acoustic guitar. A lot of Maskandi Music is Recorded in Downtown Studio's, Studio 2 on a vintage Harrison 32C Console. One artist incorporated electric keyboard/synthesiser into the Maskandi Genre'. Unfortunately I'm not too sure how many artists are still out there doing Maskandi.

Here is a link to Maskandi Music: Maskandi Link

Afrikaans Boere Music is usually played by South African farmers. Banjo and Accordion are very popular instruments. Usually Boere Music does not contain any Vocals. Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar and Drums are also incorporated/used.

Boere Music is for me, personally on of the most difficult genre's to play, because of its odd time signatures.

A sub-genre' that recently started is plain Afrikaans Music, whereby artists will sing to electronic backtracks.

This started killing the music industry for artist which relied on bands/members to play instruments during a Live performance.

Afrikaans music is currently the genre that provides the biggest income stream - probably because the fans are very loyal and the fans of Afrikaans music aren't too technically clued up on how to rip/copy CD's.

A popular traditional Boere Musiek band is The Klipwerf Boere Orkes: Klipwerf

Afrikaans Rock Music started becoming a genre' on its own, with its roots back into the 70's/80's with artists like Koos Kombuis, Piet Botha, Johannes Kerkorrel and Anton Goosen.

More modern artist like Karen Zoid, Albert Frost, Dan Patlansky, Parlotones, Prime Circle etc started to evolve. The most famous Afrikaans Rock group is Fokofpolisiekar - literally translated to fuckoff police vehicle.

Festivals around South Africa happen on a regular basis. One of the most popular festivals is OppiKoppi in the Limpopo province, whereby the festival starts on the Friday and usually ends the Sunday.

Popular Pop Artist include Danny K and Chiano Skyy. Hip Hop Artist include HHP, AKA etc.

At this moment I'm not too sure of any Hip-Hop/Pop festivals.

OppiKoppi is more focused on the Live Music scene, whereby Live bands will perform.

Skouspel is a concert whereby most of South Africa's Afrikaans Artists will perform.

H20 is a festival for Dance Music, although I might remember a separate Hip-Hop stage, but there was only music played, no performances.

Hope this info sheds some light on this topic.

All of the best.

Hello shawn.t

Thanks a lot for your input! :)