Music in Portugal

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Portugal? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

Ok, the most known is FADO, is a bit depressing and sad but I think is great and represents our culture very well.
You have Amalia Rodrigues has the most known artist, but I also like Mariza.

In Lisbon or Oporto you can found many concerts with many small artists. But if you want a big summer festivals you can go to MEO Sudoeste, Paredes de Coura or NOS Alive, but don't expect much tradicitional music there.

Check festivals here: festivaisverao.com/Festivais-2015/index.html
Check many concerts here: yeaaaah.com/pt/concerts

Ruby Redshoes!!! The Gift is cheesy good.

Rudy ? I think is Rita Redshoes ;) But all that sing in English and play pop, so nothing new or different

Oh, yes...Rita. I'm still learning about the musicians here. Sara Tavares, and Dulce Pontes, are lovely.

Try Peixe:Avião or Linda Martini if you like something more alternative/indie ;)

I recomend Clã, Dead Combo and Danças Ocultas too

Will check them out. Obrigada!

Hi,
I don't think people have a specific music genre, we hear all kinds of music.
We do have a genre that it's only ours that is fado, but it's a little bit melancholic.
Regarding portuguese music you could try Ornatos Violeta, Xutos e Pontapés, Silence 4 and David Fonseca.
Regularly you have small pubs that have live music like MusicBox or Galeria Zé dos Bois, for bug venues you have the Coliseum, Meo Arena or Aula Magna.
In the Summer you also have the music festivals like Nos Alive, SBSR, Paredes de Coura and others depending on the music genre.
I hope this helps