Music in Brazil

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Brazil? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

My stepson, Luiz Francisco Kotkievicz,  who lives in Recife has a band which sings and plays Brazilian country music.His last concert was a couple of weeks ago in Recife. He has occasional concerts that he puts on and also has a couple of musical CDs published. I do not know when he plans his next concert.

Brazilian music is as varied as the Brazilian people. There are so many forms of music that are popular in this country that it is impossible to list and describe them all.

The first one that always comes to mind is the traditional Samba music, I guess that's because almost everyone on the planet has seen scenes from Carnaval and the parades put on by the Samba companies. I must confess that as long as I've been here I will never be able to master the quick footwork that the dance requires.

Sertaneja, as Brazilian country music is called, is widely popular too. The Portuguese language is musical, and makes Sertaneja much more romantic. Always about lost love, broken hearts, loving someone heart and soul. It is really fantastic music.

Forró is a Latin-American beat that is great to dance to, the dance itself is very similar to what we used to call the Jive. Forró started in the Northeast and spread rapidly all over the country. It also has an offshoot called Arrocha, which originated in Bahia.

Pagode, has its roots in the backyard parties and celebrations in the suburbs of Rio. Historically Pagode was the name of the parties held by slaves in their compounds.

Of course American English language music is also wildly popular here in Brazil, despite the fact that most Brazilians don't understand a single word of it.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team