Driving in Vietnam

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Vietnam? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Vietnam?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Vietnam: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Safety driving in viet nam
You need to concentrate on driving and pay attention to any signal from others
Using the signal when you turn left or right or stop
Keep your mind waking up while driving because vietnam transport´s very full of vehicles on the streets or road. If you want to go over other you need to press the horn & signal. Remember to go over follow the left. Good luck

People drive like total idiots.
1. Turn signals mean nothing, exept from saving you from a ticket from the police. Nobody pays any attention to them what so ever.
2. When the lightsignal is 5 seconds from turning, people drive.
3. Scooters seem fearless and think they can fit in the smallest places.
4. Scooters are packed with luggage, which often is safely secured, but sometimes you will see people needing to hold on to it.
5. I've seen up to 5 people one one scooter, that was including 2 small children and one infant.
6. Roundabouts are absolutely crazy.
7. Everyone might as well tape the hornbutten 'cause it's on all the time. (Horn means: get out of my way, I'm turning left, I'm turning right, be carefull, let me through, ect.)
8. NO ONE let's ambulances pass.

But if you follow traffic, it seems to go all right.
"When in rome, do as the romans"

1. Driving as dancing at the rush hour.

2. In crowded streets, trying to drive at the middle of the street

I think different a bit from Perrin. No one is stupid or idiot here. We are in their country so we have to accept their rules if not, " the smartest man" can get accident too.

If you would take a second to actually read my post, you would know that I did not say people were idiots in Vietnam.
I did how ever state that people drive with their heads up their ass.
-Which traffic death statistics pretty much back up.

Like anywhere in the World, you need to be focused.
Take note of those driving around you and try to anticipate problematic scenarios.
Try to keep calm and patient:-)
Take extra care around heavier vehicles.
Watch out for babies and small children on board.
Go with the flow.
Good luck, you'll need it:-)

Vietnamese drivers are perhaps not idiots, just suicidal.

Saigon Times reported some time ago that driving the wrong way on roads was one of the three biggest causes of road deaths in Hanoi. I would have thought that going through red lights was a major cause of death, too, because 49% of Hanoi drivers questioned answered that they would go through red lights if a policeman was not on duty on the corner.  Another major cause of death is drivers launching out from lanes without looking.

Some years ago, a newspaper reported 1500 road deaths in Hanoi alone for the year. If you apply that ratio of deaths to population, you arrive at a figure of 50,000 road deaths annually for the whole country, a figure which is MUCH more believable than the official figure of 8998 for 2014.

It doesn't matter what road rules there are, Vietnamese generally do not obey ANY of them,with predicable consequences. When I see motorbike drivers driving three up at night at 50km/hr on the wrong side of the road, without lights or helmet, I ask myself, "Is this a competition to see how many road rules they can break and still stay alive?"

I've lost count of the number of unconscious/dead motor cyclists I have seen on the road in over eleven years of driving in VN. Some were very dead.  As I say, perhaps not stupid, just totally suicidal.

Driving in Vietnam you need to be constantly alert because someone can shoot out from a side alley or ride on the wrong side of the road towards you.

In Vietnam it's a game of trying to get others to crash into you and collect $$$. So always drive at a speed you're comfortable in doing an emergency brake without the bike sliding underneath you.

Approach intersections at a slow speed especially roundabouts and keep a constant pace and keep your lines straight. Make your direction of travel predictable and the locals will go around you.

Pretend you're the guy riding on  a bike pushing a cart. Notice how he doesn't need to stop and everyone accomodates him.

Drive like an idiot and you'll meet other idiots.

I wonder how much just a simple dot approved helmet would save lives.

It's a free for all. All traffic rules are ignored. Have to watch every thing around you constantly

In my three recent visits to Saigon it seems to me that the "Real" traffic rules haven't changed much in 30 years:

1. Its your responsibility to avoid Anything or Anyone if front or at the side of you no matter what crazy things they do.
2. its your responsibility to avoid Anything bigger than your vehicle as they will not avoid you.
3. Avoid the wishful thinking that you can get from where you are to where you want to be in any particular span of time - sometimes it may only take ten minutes and other times an hour. Relax and enjoy the show

If you follow these simple rules you will spend more time on the road and on the brakes and less time in the hospital.

Common vehicle is two-wheelers here. Morning 6-8 and evening 4.30-6.30 are peak/rush hours in which people try to fly even though there is no space  :)
If you value your life and others, then everything is fine like ant other country. Law breakers are everywhere but few. That minority is the problematic for others. Just use the lanes according to your speed. Then everyone can drive.

Is there road rage in VN? I get them all the time here in Tx and people do open carry firearms so it does make things a bit interesting when someone points a 35 mm at you at a stop light . Crazy peeps are everywhere .

The only 'road rage' I have ever seen was the motorbike rider in front of me, who used his rolled up newspaper mock beat an elderly woman for cutting him off and forcing both him and me into the gutter.  I have, however, read in the Vietnamese language press of a case of murder, when a gang of hooligans chased down and murdered a young man for "provoking" them by revving his motorbike as he went past them.

Cloud9 wrote:

Is there road rage in VN? I get them all the time here in Tx and people do open carry firearms so it does make things a bit interesting when someone points a 35 mm at you at a stop light . Crazy peeps are everywhere .

1. Not legal for open carry a handgun inside a person's private vehicle,within the State of Texas.
If,in the event of a stop by law enforcement,one must declare verbally to the officer in charge that there is a concealable weapon in the vehicle.
2. In 2015,it is a rare and special time if someone points a '35 mm' at you. That would be an old school film camera.
Of course if you meant a 35 mm 'gun',then you are looking at an Oerlikon anti-aircraft gun.
Then anyone would think that's interesting on a busy street.

jimbream wrote:
Cloud9 wrote:

1. Not legal for open carry a handgun inside a person's private vehicle,within the State of Texas.
If,in the event of a stop by law enforcement,one must declare verbally to the officer in charge that there is a concealable weapon in the vehicle.
2. In 2015,it is a rare and special time if someone points a '35 mm' at you. That would be an old school film camera.
Of course if you meant a 35 mm 'gun',then you are looking at an Oerlikon anti-aircraft gun.

Lol...it was a hand gun, a glock maybe. Waving a gun or showing that they have one in the car isn't anything new. Perhaps it was illegal to point at someone and so is tailgating and cutting people off in traffic but it happened all the time. Open carry law is loosely interpreted by many people. The bottom line is its not worth it fighting people in traffic because you don't know where it will lead to.

Cloud9 wrote:
jimbream wrote:
Cloud9 wrote:

Lol...it was a hand gun, a glock maybe. Waving a gun or showing that they have one in the car isn't anything new. Perhaps it was illegal to point at someone and so is tailgating and cutting people off in traffic but it happened all the time. Open carry law is loosely interpreted by many people. The bottom line is its not worth it fighting people in traffic because you don't know where it will lead to.

Pointing a firearm of any kind at another person is a felony offence.That's jail time and a CR.

I agree with you on -''' its not worth it fighting people in traffic because you don't know where it will lead to''

However.......
VN is not an 'in your face macho macho' culture.
More like the subtle,behind the scenes , wait a minute attack.

"Revenge is the dish best served cold".

lol@texas.

yes, I find road rage in Vietnam is rather subtle too and off the person goes without advancing the altercation. in Australia, particularly Sydney, road rage happens on a regular basis. no guns involved though, just lots of rapping and crumpin from the aggressor.

I find it rather unusual with all the chaos in Vietnam there isn't much road rage. people just forget about it and move on. whereby in Australia, road rage often lingers for awhile after the incident and can often spoil the day.

cossmo 08 August 2015 23:17:58
lol[at]texas.

yes, I find road rage in Vietnam is rather subtle too and off the person goes without advancing the altercation. in Australia, particularly Sydney, road rage happens on a regular basis. no guns involved though, just lots of rapping and crumpin from the aggressor.

I find it rather unusual with all the chaos in Vietnam there isn't much road rage. people just forget about it and move on. whereby in Australia, road rage often lingers for awhile after the incident and can often spoil the day.

You obviously haven't been entertained by male VN youths when they have an accident, it's a full on brawl sometimes, ( sometimes 3 on a bike ), but that would probably depend on the time of day, ( and how much watery beer they've consumed? ). Sometimes I've wanted to pass a hat around the huge ensuing audience.

The essence is go with the flow and not be competitive but ameliorative. Smile a lot, partic when you almost colliding or swerving into rather than away from. Forget your ego driving  paretic if caucasian!
JRT

I hold a European car and a class A motorcycle driving permit. None of what I've learned in Europe and what I apply to driving in Europe can be applied to Vietnam. I am aware of the Vietnamese highway code. Sadly, the Vietnamese are not.

I see two major reasons for this:

1. the Vietnamese respect the law only out of fear of punishment, not because a law might make sense

2. of my friends in Vietnam only about half have a driving permit. Of those, about half bought their licence and never sat for a test. They are blissfully unaware of the rules, they just drive like their parents before them.

Worst of all is that they are seemingly unaware of the inherent dangers of driving. The drivers of motor vehicles don't understand the dangers of overtaking uphill or in a bend.

When in Vietnam I myself have to drive like the Vietnamese, albeit with a measure of European common sense thrown in. But I feel really uncomfortable not stopping at a full stop sign. However, I know that if I do in fact stop at a sign I might cause an accident, because none of the Vietnamese will stop. They don't even register the sign.

It's out of control - there is no other way to describe or romanticize it. Sure there are rules of the road but without a properly controlled system of drivers education, testing and enforcement there is no hope that Vietnam will attain any level of satisfactory rating in any evaluation. I am here 2.5 years and still can't get a straight answer on insurance.

Recently a taxi driver offered to get me a drivers licence demonstrating corruption and I had to help an UBER driver put his car in gear a few weeks back - he said he is driving for only 7 days. Taxi drivers I hear work on 24 hour shifts which may explain why many are so dopey and do stupid things.....traffic lights appear optional, signalling is optional.

There are 2 positive things that stand out - the siren when a truck or bus is turning to warn others motorists and the lack of road rage and tolerance for utterly stupid, I mean really really stupid things VN drivers do. India and Chinese drivers are far better than VN in my experience.

BTW: I heard a rumour that France is investing EU 400 million in a new traffic control system for HCMC. I am not sure what percentage of funding is lost to public corruption in Vietnam but Malaysia appears to be 50%. So even at 50%, 200 million Euro from the colonists may go a long way.

Cheers.

Old Saigon Hand wrote:

In my three recent visits to Saigon it seems to me that the "Real" traffic rules haven't changed much in 30 years:

1. Its your responsibility to avoid Anything or Anyone if front or at the side of you no matter what crazy things they do.
2. its your responsibility to avoid Anything bigger than your vehicle as they will not avoid you.
3. Avoid the wishful thinking that you can get from where you are to where you want to be in any particular span of time - sometimes it may only take ten minutes and other times an hour. Relax and enjoy the show

If you follow these simple rules you will spend more time on the road and on the brakes and less time in the hospital.

Yes, it's quite hard to understand, here is more informal rules will apply- and you make a good list.
If you wish to drive here - read this text carefully, it's how it real works.
And yes, driving here require a lot of attention and awareness, but it's good for you in any country - after Vietnam you are ready to any stupid maneuvering from others.

Cloud9 wrote:

I didn't see any. Some signal, maybe, but no rage, it's even strange to see.

When a Vietnamese starts his Motorcycle his/her first action is to remove the brain, and put it under the seat. They then go into ("I only care about myself - not others, including my passengers") mode. They then swing out into the melee without a care or a thought for anyone or anything.
Hence the statistics.

Spot-on. It's easy to get caught up in a game of trying to be just as crazy and aggressive as the other drivers, but the end result is predictable. Drive like a grandma and give yourself more time to react and less kinetic energy to deal with when the suicidal person pulls out from a blind alley right into you without ever looking, which happens about once per kilometer around here.

Terrible drivers in Vietnam. No rules. People pull out of side streets without even looking to see if it's safe. They expect on coming traffic to yeild them a right of way. They are rude, inconsideret of others and if you get involved in an accident they will kill you rather than risk having to pay for your bills.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I think different a bit from Perrin. No one is stupid or idiot here. We are in their country so we have to accept their rules if not, " the smartest man" can get accident too.

What rules?   I once asked a taxi driver about that and after he thought for a few seconds he said " Don,t hit anybody"  That about sums it up

look at it this way. imagine if everyone obey to the road rules and drive accordingly. imagine the chaos then. this city wouldn't be able to move.

in lots of ways the driving in Vietnam demand people's attention at least. back in Sydney, people can be seen asleep, eating, on their phones, etc at the wheels. motorcyclist get hit all the time in traffic because the driver claims "I didn't see him". stupid people exist everywhere and is not specific to just Vietnam on their driving behaviours.

cabraman wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

What rules?   I once asked a taxi driver about that and after he thought for a few seconds he said " Don,t hit anybody"  That about sums it up

That hits the nail on the head and says in one sentence what I took 2 paragraphs to do

cossmo wrote:

look at it this way. imagine if everyone obey to the road rules and drive accordingly. imagine the chaos then. this city wouldn't be able to move.

in lots of ways the driving in Vietnam demand people's attention at least. back in Sydney, people can be seen asleep, eating, on their phones, etc at the wheels. motorcyclist get hit all the time in traffic because the driver claims "I didn't see him". stupid people exist everywhere and is not specific to just Vietnam on their driving behaviours.

Having driven in Sydney for 40 years, I can tell you there is no comparison. I don,t understand why you are defending the way Vietnamese drive. It,s not only how they drive, but where they park or stop. From my experience on the roads in and around Dalat, Vietnamese do not care about anybody but themselves when they get on a bike. If they want to ride slowly in the centre of the road while they have a conversation with a friend riding beside them, they will. If they want to park or stop on a blind corner or bend they will. If they want to have a smoke and use their mobile phone while riding slowly and holding up traffic behind, they will.   Don,t start me on the kamikaze riders who come at speed from a side street without looking.  Or the ones who overtake with no concern for the signal to turn that you made. Or the ones who come around a corner on the wrong side of the road    You want more?

cabraman wrote:
cossmo wrote:

Having driven in Sydney for 40 years, I can tell you there is no comparison. I don,t understand why you are defending the way Vietnamese drive. It,s not only how they drive, but where they park or stop. From my experience on the roads in and around Dalat, Vietnamese do not care about anybody but themselves when they get on a bike. If they want to ride slowly in the centre of the road while they have a conversation with a friend riding beside them, they will. If they want to park or stop on a blind corner or bend they will. If they want to have a smoke and use their mobile phone while riding slowly and holding up traffic behind, they will.   Don,t start me on the kamikaze riders who come at speed from a side street without looking.  Or the ones who overtake with no concern for the signal to turn that you made. Or the ones who come around a corner on the wrong side of the road    You want more?

Perfect description, that's why I always try and get in front of them, and then watch my mirrors. Just recieved an sms now from a Frenchman who has been living here for 14 years, asking me if the riders from our city learned to ride/drive in Aus/Eng/Sing/India , as they're always on the wrong side of the road.

cabraman wrote:

the OP asked for a comparison between driving in Vietnam and home (wherever it may be). I am defending previous posts calling the Vietnamese drivers 'stupid'.

ok here is the list for Australians:

turning without signalling at intersections
turning without signalling at roundabouts
driving on bus / transit lanes
running red lights
not stopping at stop signs
speeding
tailgating at slow and high speeds
not keeping left
ignoring give way signs
travelling the wrong speed on the right lane
so the list goes on.... so I guess we can call Australian's stupid as well eh?

cossmo wrote:
cabraman wrote:

the OP asked for a comparison between driving in Vietnam and home (wherever it may be). I am defending previous posts calling the Vietnamese drivers 'stupid'.

running red lights
speeding
not keeping left
ignoring give way signs

But at least they hardly ever constantly toot their horns for no apparent reason.

bluenz wrote:
cossmo wrote:
cabraman wrote:

running red lights
speeding
not keeping left
ignoring give way signs

But at least they hardly ever constantly toot their horns for no apparent reason.

LOL why do you think Vietnamese drivers should play by Sydney Rules??  After all its their country and a couple of superpowers tried unsuccessfully to change things.

My fingers are itching!!!

Traffic rules? Yes, they have them! what could seem a really big surprise when you look outside!
Do they follow them? Absolutely not!!!!
Sure we all know why, no licenses, bought license.. etc..
I have my serious doubts that local driving instructors don't know them!

This traffic is based one thing! and one thing alone! Bullying! Thats right! "I have a bigger vehicle than you so I go first!" I say to you... FU!
Don't get me wrong! I'm happy to bend the rules, but if you drove red lights and want to go without stopping.. bad luck for you! or you decided that instead waiting in line ( what actually is something what Vietnamese people can't understand!! North.. South might be better) you take left lane what was meant for people turning left and try to cut the cue when lights turn green.

Second, has anybody noticed this absurd thinking that if they drive straight from intersection they put their emergency blinkers?!?! Turn left indicate left, turn right indicate right.. go straight.... leave them signals alone you retards!! I wonder is the logic like this ->

'If I turn right I indicate right? yes!! If I turn left I indicate left? yes!! So then.. it must be that if I go straight I need to indicate both sides?!?! why else manufacturers would have added this option....?'

Helmets? well, I don't care if people are not wearing helmets, its their own life and personally I just don't care, busted headlights and taillights? ou those I do care! people think that only headlight is important. sure it is.. but also taillight is.. so nobody will ram you in the royal keister!

So many other things.. roundabouts.. Minimum speed limit in highways and hogging left lane.

Got a fever of 38.8 so.. can't concentrate.. this subject would be good for Vlog..

bluenz wrote:
cossmo wrote:
cabraman wrote:

running red lights
speeding
not keeping left
ignoring give way signs

Now here's a thought- if western nations suffer from severe road rage and violence,but they are so polite with honking.
And Vietnam doesn't suffer road rage and violence,but are very rude with constant honking.
So if western nations started expressing themselves on the road by honking,their road rage would stop.

Hum let me  see .. None of the above apply. To Vietnam. No courtesy. So rule. Dangerous. No knowledge. Of safe driving stupid unbelievable the who country. From truck drivers. Police . government vehicle s. Any thing on the road is a accident looking for a place. To happen. .. ... Plus unsafe cars n motos Omg international de ving show red taillights not white. N. White front blue police red ambulance. Omg not here all stupid ignorant.

They are courteous enough. The woman who crashed into me on her motorbike as I was minding my own business on my mountain bike stopped long enough to say "Oops" before she sped off, leaving me to my 4 cracked ribs. She was passing me on my left (good job!) then decided to turn a 90 degree right as her front wheel was parallel to mine (not such a good job). If my ribs hadn't hurt so much you'd have seen a good measure of road rage from my side, that's for sure.

The thing is you cannot measure Vietnamese road traffic using a Western yardstick. We ride motorbikes for fun and leisure, they use it as a means of transportation. For the most part we go to driving school and learn how-to and a lot of theoretical stuff, they don't.

Late last year I saw a driving instructor (automobile) instruct his student to perform a u-turn across double unbroken lines. This was in Nha Trang, and 30-50 meters from a sharp bend in the road to boot. A feat like that would have gotten the instructor pulled off the road in Europe.

anthony500 wrote:

Hum let me  see .. None of the above apply. To Vietnam. No courtesy. So rule. Dangerous. No knowledge. Of safe driving stupid unbelievable the who country. From truck drivers. Police . government vehicle s. Any thing on the road is a accident looking for a place. To happen. .. ... Plus unsafe cars n motos Omg international de ving show red taillights not white. N. White front blue police red ambulance. Omg not here all stupid ignorant.

Who are you ?

You are not from the USA as your profile claims. Your choice and usage of English words and sentence structure is typical of a VN with poor English.

Driving in Vietnam is obviously different than driving in other countries because of the large number of motorcycles. I have driven throughout the Middle East, most of Africa, Europe and North America which gives me some perspective.

If you are going to drive a motorcycle here you will find that operating skill is perhaps less than half of the equation. You can of course do what most tourists do; rent a bike, cross your fingers and go. You will probably survive due to the skill and no-how of the other drivers.

I have met some expats who have been here for years and still can't drive properly. Sometimes they have an oddball macho motorcycle and they claim to be able to drive anything and deride Vietnamese drivers. One complaint I hear often is the Vietnamese will enter a roadway without first making sure nothing is coming. When I hear that complaint I know that expat doesn't understand driving, physics or motorcycles. Bravado is a coin often used but totally useless.

To any newcomers to Vietnam who wish to reduce the risk of having an accident, one should learn the philosophy of driving here. Do you know that half of all expats who must go home for medical treatment, do so for injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. You aren't in Kansas anymore.