Driving in the United Arab Emirates

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in the United Arab Emirates? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in the United Arab Emirates?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in the United Arab Emirates: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Not a good subject to discuss unless you wish to be locked up and deported.

I have Been living in Most countries in the Midle East and UAE are the best by far!!!

"Not a good subject to discuss unless you wish to be locked up and deported."  :D:D:P

Btw In New Dubai its relatively better than other emirates and than old Dubai...

your first paragraph.
The difference is noticed in mainly two Scenes:
1. The impact of enforcing the rules of fines which force people not to violate and thus enjoying a safe drive.
2. One negative scene is that of most Taxi Drivers, it looks though as if they were instructed to over rule safe driving for the sake of stopping for customers.
As for the second paragraph.
For the speed, I think there is a room for the Radar Experts to violate the speed without getting fined and for this a further study is needed and I will be glad to participate and contribute.
As for the last paragraph.
Generally Driving in the UAE is great and many thanks for the people in charge, as for getting better driving there would be some thoughts that we have to discuss with the people in charge first as their face to face discussion feed-back would make my contribution much mere fruitful.

Driving in UAE is pretty much same as in most of the world (excepting Britain, Australia, India etc), meaning, LHD.

Majority on the road have obtained their D/L after a lot of hard work, training and testing.  Hence they know its value.  I can say at least two-thirds are driving fairly sensibly per rules.  There are still a significant percentage of people who lack courtesy, like even a simple care to allow a merging traffic line to move by allowing at least 1 car ahead of you in your line.  Thankfully the RTA and police are now implementing penalty for jumping the queue, changing lane without discipline and so on.

Overall the road conditions are good, where they need to improve is the conditions of many interior road jams like inside Bur Dubai, Karama, Satwa and such older areas.  Peak hours - people have to be just a bit patient what else.

UAE driving experience is better than many countries but still some way to go.

There are a lot of angry people on the road for whatever reason. Lane discipline is better than back home, but courtesy & respect for other drivers is generally lacking. People don't use their indicators very often & sliding between lanes is the norm. If you leave a decent gap between yourself & the car in front (as Dubai Police has indicated as being the main cause for accidents in this country), you can be sure that some car in the next lane slides into the gap assuming you're a slow driver, while an impatient tailgater either honks or flashes his/her lights for you to get out of the way. Getting flipped is not uncommon despite it being against the law. There is something radically wrong with most drivers here. Stress topped up with frustration? Every morning, when I leave home, I hope & pray that my drive to work is without incident. Sincerely hope the situation improves.

The drivers don't give you priority even you are legally trying to change lane. First come, first serve. If you flash to change they will deliberately block you. Kind of egotistic behavior.....

Kelly

We lived in Abu Dhabi and every day when we get into the car we hope that we will get out of it safely again.
When my husband went to work and I stayed home, I would say "Please come home safely" when he left the apartment, but I knew if he didn't, it would not have been his fault.
If you are from Australia, Europe or Canada (and some parts of U.S.), the driving will be a big shock and if you value your life, or that of those you love, I would consider things carefully - especially if you have to drive between Abu Dhabi and Dubai or for long distances.

The key issues are
a) lack of respect for other people's lives - perhaps the mentality that 'It is Allah's Will if I die' is at play here. No accounting for personal responsibility.
b) lack of quality driver education - it is completely normal to have someone tail-gating you at 140km an hour with a 40cm distance between you and them. Also, many drivers literally do not know what the indicators are for and refer to them as 'those flashing lights'.
c) lack of implementation of laws -  that would require hard work and initiative.
d) when laws are implemented, the police mainly target 'workers' cars such as vans, taxis, utes and busses, not the many 4x4s or Nissan Patrols etc who are the main culprits for tail-gaiting and lane drifting without indicating

I worked as a university teacher and every 2 weeks I would have a student needing to go to a funeral because of a car accident 'which was Allah's Will and had nothing to do with the fact the driver was speeding at 200km an hour around a corner...
A lot of the issues would not be fatal, however because of the long distances, and the speed at which people drive, plus the size of the cars (monumental), small mistakes like failing to look when changing lanes (very common) can have fatal consequences for the family in the smaller car in the next lane....

hello, am newly here with all i can see the way of driving here in uae is so good , mostly the drivers are so careful and thy drive very smoot

Very true...it's like a signal to speed up and prevent a good driver, who follows all the rules, from changing lanes.  Also you can be maintaining the right speed for that particular road, but still have a tailgater flashing you to move to a slower lane.  I had a female driver in a blue VW (withholding license plate number...you know who you are) do that to me just this morning on Hessa Street.  I was at 95 Kmph on a road where the speed limit is 80 Kmph...so something is radically wrong with the mentality out here.

Well all i can say is UAE is the best when it comes to road and access. The roads are very good and very comfortable to drive with. The only problem i countered the most are those local drivers that they think they own the road, they don't park properly they blocked the roads . Also indian drivers but not all but mostly indian they are pain in the ass when they are in the road. They don't used signal lights when they were turning and they cut ur way. What i'm trying to say people driving here in the UAE what ever nationalities should be more responsible and careful. Apply what we had learned in the driving school when were taking for license.  Not just were good while were taking the road test when there is police infront and the back of you. Be responsible enough and respect each others lanes so that we can avoid accidents and road problems. Thank you!

Its the worst I have ever seen, impatient uncourteous driver disregard rules and put others safety at risk. It may be better then some of the third world countries, the problem majority of the drivers come from those countries so every time u get on the road here its a risk.

Hello ALL

I understand that driving here can be stressful, but once you break that moment of freeze and get behind that wheel, you will soon be feeling quite at home... just remember keep your distance and always be watching left and right when driving, as drivers here tend to move as they indicate, but other than that the roads are great, nice and wide with clear markings.