Driving in the Philippines

BobJP wrote:

There is a law that safety helmets should be used by every one
traveling on a motor bike, seemingly only foreigner such as myself
follow this rule.

Criminals on Motorbikes wear them too, and I just realised some stupidity when I read an article about this...

Zamboanga City – Representative Celso Lobregat (1st District, Zamboanga City) has filed a bill in Congress that seeks to allow local government units (LGUs) to suspend the implementation of the mandatory wearing of motorcycle helmets in their areas of jurisdiction – a bid to prevent crimes committed by lawless motorcycle riders.
http://www.mb.com.ph/revision-of-motorc … act-sought

The politician thinks that by making wearing helmets NOT compulsory, will stop the criminals from wearing them ?

As strange as it may seem to most foreigners, the death rate per capita by traffic accidents in the Philippines is lower than the USA.
So, fathom that out before you cast the first stone.

Norm Allard wrote:

As strange as it may seem to most foreigners, the death rate per capita by traffic accidents in the Philippines is lower than the USA.

Not by much though, and much higher than UK and Australia.

But the Death Rate by number of cars is so much higher:

Road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles   
128.1  Philippines
  13.6  United States
    7.6  Australia
    6.2  United Kingdom

Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year 
11.6  United States
  9.1  Philippines
  5.6  Australia
  3.5  United Kingdom

Because I wont ever drive here again, and find it hard to get on and off of Trikes, Jeepneys, etc I decided to get a trike made for my private use, and to pay somebody to drive it for me when required.
The deal was that I would pay 2000 peso`s per month for a driver to take me shopping in it twice a week, approx. 8 hours a month, and as as an extra bonus I always bought food for the driver to take home to his family at least once a fortnight, and guess what folks?   I am now going to sell my trike in Dumaguete because I have been through three drivers, for the following reasons.... forget to turn up ( I always gave them one days notice, and let them choose the time that suited them )  too tired to work, never on time, too wet to drive, etc, etc. so now I have had enough of all of the shit excuses from these slack arses, and have decided to sell my trike, as it is a waste of time and money unless I drove it myself, but as I said I will never drive in this country again, so back to public transport.
I was so bloody stupid to ever live here, but I was unable to continue living in Australia because of some bad business decisions that I made and ended up bankrupt, so I listened to my useless brother who lives here and made the move.   BIG, BIG, MISTAKE, and now I cant afford to go back.
I have tried so hard to adapt but I get so frustrated everytime I go outside and have to play "frogger" with the crazy, idiot, drivers, who for some reason or other think that they are invincible, and then there are the Ceres buses, who plough through the traffic with their own set of rules.
Anyway folks I just had to have a winge to somebody because this country is gradually sending me balmy, but if there is anybody out there who understands where I am coming from please reply so as I dont feel that I am alone in this, but dont tell me that I am to blame for my decision to live here, because I already know that.

Aussie Dave wrote:

Anyway folks I just had to have a winge to somebody because this country is gradually sending me balmy, but if there is anybody out there who understands where I am coming from please reply so as I dont feel that I am alone in this, but dont tell me that I am to blame for my decision to live here, because I already know that.

Your situation is understandable. When you arrive with high expectations, advice from your brother etc, it is easy to get caught out by the unexpected reality.
I could be in a similar situation, but I know I am going back home at some stage, so I can cope with a lot of problems, but my girlfriend also agrees with me, so I can share my frustration with her, and actually get support.
She has spent REAL time in Australia (not holiday type time), so she understands what I am talking about.

Is there any way that you can work out how to go back ?

LOL Aussie Dave. I am quite sure that the older I get the less inclined I will be to drive here. I believe from what I've seen while driving that we're all a little balmy here when it comes to driving.

Reading the answers from these same "Driving in ..."  questions in the Philippines, Australia and UK sections is really interesting, and justifies my own feelings.

Thanks ABC Diamond, now I dont feel alone, and I could go back to Australia the only problem is that I have a lady friend whom I could not take with me because of our age gap ( you know what I mean ) and I could not just up and leave her, as she has been so good to me, and I could not do that to her.
I did not come here looking for romance but things just happened, so I guess now that I made my bed I have to lay in it.
I will keep on playing "frogger" until a miracle happens.....

ABCDiamond wrote:
Norm Allard wrote:

Not by much though, and much higher than UK and Australia.

But the Death Rate by number of cars is so much higher:

128.1  Philippines
  13.6  United States
    7.6  Australia
    6.2  United Kingdom

Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year 
11.6  United States
  9.1  Philippines
  5.6  Australia
  3.5  United Kingdom

How about the rate of maimed people verses other nations...It has to be much higher here with as fast as motor bikes drive and how careless they are

TeeJay4103 wrote:

LOL Aussie Dave. I am quite sure that the older I get the less inclined I will be to drive here. I believe from what I've seen while driving that we're all a little balmy here when it comes to driving.

Been driving here over 3 years now with no accidents and now all I do is just laugh at the ignorant, many of which have no license, crazy drivers....

vetretreat wrote:

Been driving here over 3 years now with no accidents and now all I do is just laugh at the ignorant, many of which have no license, crazy drivers....

I have had no accidents either. My driving mantra is "drive like a wimp." I give way to I-have-not-read-the-driving-manual buses, jeepneys, taxis, drivers who will never let you pass but will steal any space he can squeeze himself in, swerving speeding drivers and other undesirables, all of whom I consider as bullies of the road.

I try not to get stressed out when one of these bully drivers does something rude or inconsiderate or attempt a dangerous move or stunt.  I have accepted that they will never change their ways. I have no intention of being like them. So the best way to keep myself and my passengers safe (and keep my car dent free also) is to be patient, stay calm, drive defensively, just let these bullies pass and keep my distance from them. I am sure I have a better chance of getting to my destination safely than they.

No the politicians hate to drive wearing a helmet as it messes up their hair, lol

I have been driving for 56 years in U.K and Australia, motor bikes, cars, trucks, fork lifts, you name it, but never will I risk my life driving here in the Philippines! Road rules may exist, but I see no one obeying. It's like dodgem cars at a funfair. Once off the highways the roads are abysmal, fit only for tricycles and motor bikes. Not for me, I have a car and hire a driver 500 pesos a day. Worth it for my sanity!

"never will I risk my life driving here in the Philippines! Road rules may exist, but I see no one obeying."

I think that pretty much sums it up. I ride a motorbike but it is like a zoo on the roads with most having absolutely no respect for the rules of the road (if they exist). The traffic enforcers are rarely if ever around when needed and even if they were around it wouldn't matter since the locals know when LTO (traffic enforcers) are likely to appear and all of the sudden, driving habits improve. The most perplexing part is the smog and pollution is absolutely out of control yet not one single ticket...not one is ever written against the polluting vehicles most of which are jeepnies. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before.

"Only in the Philippines"! But I love the crazy place and my crazy woman! I couldn't enjoy myself so cheaply in Australia!

OzFreddie wrote:

I have been driving for 56 years in U.K and Australia, motor bikes, cars, trucks, fork lifts, you name it, but never will I risk my life driving here in the Philippines! Road rules may exist, but I see no one obeying. It's like dodgem cars at a funfair. Once off the highways the roads are abysmal, fit only for tricycles and motor bikes. Not for me, I have a car and hire a driver 500 pesos a day. Worth it for my sanity!

I've been driving throughout Asia for over 15 years now and the Philippines is the worst...But with a little practice and a defensive attitude anyone with extensive driving experience will be able to be patient and tackle even the worst traffic in this nation...I have never ever hit anyone from the front end of my vehicle in 15 years of driving...Just stay alert and drive defensively..offensive driving is secondary and definitely for the more experienced...

:D   Yes sir that is driving in Asia.  I was once told if u want orderly and rules and traffic cops  then go to the States or likewise Country so I strapped on the seat belt in Manila and drove like I was a kid still driving dirt track racing and I made out just well. lol  I think most 1st world people don't have the patience and aren't so laid back as Filipinos and it shows in traffic and waiting in lines.  It is what it is and surely not going to change but what I would like to see is the freaking smog controlled. While many countries are spending millions to cut down on pollution places like the Philippines rarely tries to.  They ought to put the whole country on LP fuel or electric cars or even hydrogen cars are coming on the market.  There is no excuse for the air polluting vehicles and companies and it is killing people everyday.
Good luck on ur driving. get good insurance and drive it like u stole it!   
Mike

Got to agree with you!  People still have their hearts in the right place in the Philippines and everything isn't about career and what u have or don't have like in the States for example.   Freedom is it and I don't want people making laws everyday to save me from myself or the govt in my bedroom like in the States either.   Philippines is great!

Drivers in Philippines(some could be expats) generally do not take rules seriously. Only one rule apply that is "me first"
After a while you getting used to it. Just drive.  If you do not surprise anybody by sudden turns it is unlikely you will be hit by another car, There is a tendency to keep adding more lanes which results in you end up being squeezed.
A good thing is that most traffic is very slow and for that reason you will be ok in your car. I would not drive a motorbike or a bicycle.
Crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing you will most likely experience cars are beeping at you. Some places where police are strict such as Makati or Subic bay it is a lot better,

In places like the US the pedestrian has the right of way but  know that is not the case in the Philippines.  People in the States will take their time and walk right in front of U knowing u have to stop but in the Philippines they do that and they will be sent home in a box.

that's for sure. I agree in Philippines u can have lots of fun for less plus the ladies are dolls so the view is always nice!

mikenjane wrote:

People in the States will take their time and walk right in front of U knowing u have to stop but in the Philippines they do that and they will be sent home in a box.

I've started walking in front of cars to cross the road now and although they honk their horns (a lot) they always stop ;)

Hallo from Arnaud

i work and live in paris i know the hole ph i speak 7 languages and work as tour Guide chauffeur vip in paris also want to retire there maybe also work in tourism do you have any sugestions i already contacted chambers ambassy ect.. German french uk us mybe you have some sugestions

agottgens wrote:

Hallo from Arnaud Gottgens +33648918904

i work and live in paris i know the hole ph i speak 7 languages and work as tour Guide chauffeur vip in paris also want to retire there maybe also work in tourism do you have any sugestions i already contacted chambers ambassy ect.. German french uk us mybe you have some sugestions

Have you driven a lot in the Philippines ?

good luck with rolling those dice. lol

Having seen many traffic jams, I think that the lower rate of traffic accidents could be because the traffic is mostly crawling at a snail's pace, particularly in Manila.

Yeah thats true. It is just nuts there.  We will be up in Tagaytay .  Probably build on some farm land down by Tacloban at some point but no hurry to do so. Where are you abouts?   Mike

mikenjane wrote:

Yeah thats true. It is just nuts there.  We will be up in Tagaytay .  Probably build on some farm land down by Tacloban at some point but no hurry to do so. Where are you abouts?   Mike

I am in Malolos, Bulacan. I find it much easier to go north from here, but I do want to visit Tagaytay at some stage.

Yeah a bit cooler and I like that.  I never been to where u are I don't believe. Subic we use to stay and that was decent and good air. Been to Cebu,.  I read the other day they rated Cebu as the 5th cheapest city to live in the world, I don't know wow accurate that is.

mikenjane wrote:

Been to Cebu,.  I read the other day they rated Cebu as the 5th cheapest city to live in the world, I don't know wow accurate that is.

They probably look at it from a locals point of view, and so with the average income being near 12,000 pesos per month, it has to be cheap to live.
But the average housing ?

OzFreddie wrote:
mikenjane wrote:

I am in Malolos, Bulacan. I find it much easier to go north from here, but I do want to visit Tagaytay at some stage.

Tagaytay is a nice place to spend a week but I don't recommend long term...

LAWS LAWS LAWS,  I  sure hope the Philippines does not start making laws for everything like USA does.  Hey if u want to wear a helmet then i suggest u wear one.  If the next guy doesnt want to the it is his business and not yours
Part of the  attractiveness of the Philippines is they keep out of other business and take care of their own issues without the Govt and without  excess laws.  Dont save me from myself, if i wanted that i would stay in a country like the USA.,.  If u want everything run like it is in your country then go back to your country, do not try to change someone elses country where u are a guest.  We are here to enjoy their culture as a guest, not to try to change their way of life.
When i first drove in downtown Manila they were driving like they were wheel racing, I drove with no limits and i did fine. If not ur cup of tea then ride a taxi.

ABC Diamond, that first statistic is totally irrelevant.

Norm Allard wrote:

ABC Diamond, that first statistic is totally irrelevant.

Do you mean this one ?

128.1  Philippines
  13.6  United States
    7.6  Australia
    6.2  United Kingdom

Yes. it's only relevant if people are interested in those numbers.

But is relevant in knowing that areas with more vehicles than others are a lot more dangerous.

The chances of being involved in a fatal car accident in an area with no cars is very low, but much higher in say Manila, when looking at 128 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles.

Hallo can you drive with eu licence how much is motocyle licence or mopet

agottgens wrote:

Hallo can you drive with eu licence how much is motocyle licence or mopet

Tourists who hold a driver licence issued by the road authority of their home country are allowed to use that licence to drive in the Philippines for a period of until 90 days after their arrival in the Philippines.

If their driver license is not written in English, it should always be accompanied by an official English translation issued by their country's embassy in the Philippines.

At 90 days, you need to have obtained a Philippine Licence.

they drive on the wrong side of the road  lol

rod iddles wrote:

It sounds weird when the right side is actually the wrong side ;)

rod iddles wrote:

Yes! Americans would adjust easily, but a challenge for Aussies!

but us ozy's cant be as bad a drivers as these Filipino taxi drivers  lol