Driving in the Netherlands

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in the Netherlands? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in the Netherlands?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in the Netherlands: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I find drivers in the Netherlands generally safety-conscious and courteous.  Many, if not most, drivers here are also cyclists which is why they 'let op' for fellow citizens on two wheels rather better than do motorists in other nations! Another thing I really like is the way in which almost all drivers here, upon seeing a pedestrian stranded in the road, stop to allow them to cross.  I feel Dutch drivers are more patient, less hurried, than road users elsewhere - which makes for a more pleasant, less stressful driving experience.

The single thing I found weird was giving way to the right.  If there is no other sign indicating otherwise, you must give way to the right.  If in doubt, give way to the right; if you see a bike, take care and let the cyclist get on with it.

Apart from that; probably like you're used to, there are good and bad drivers everywhere, Holland is no different.

Just remembered - buses have priority when pulling away from a bus-stop.