Driving in Malawi

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Malawi? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Malawi?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Malawi: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hi - Maybe my below precise reply would help you.

1) Malawi is right hand side driving country.
2) Speed limits in major towns within 50KPH.
3) Road conditions are good, I would say better. (as compare to other African countries)
4) Not many difficulties while driving as far as you have enough documents and accessories in your vehicle. (I.e driving license, fire extinguisher, triangle, reflector, spare wheel)
5) Malawi is still not that populated, but we can consider office hours as peak hours as far as concern of traffic load.

Kindly ask specifically if my above replies would not aid you. (As i am not sure the cities you are going to visit, your country of origin, if you are travelling to Malawi by road or air, your length of stay etc)

Thank You!

Hey, You drive on the left in Malawi! Night driving (after 6pm) to be avoided - lots of cars with no lights & people. Impromptu speed cameras near trading areas. Where there's an advertising board or shop, it's a trading area. Cash fines for speeding, not wearing seat belts, indicators not working.

That's correct, driving on the left in Malawi. my apologies. :-(