Driving in Ghana

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Ghana? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Ghana?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Ghana: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I have been driving here for 5 years now. At first everything seemed chaotic and of course it was strange driving on the right. However once you get to know the roads it is not difficult driving here. You have to be very vigilant though and always expect the driver in front to do something unexpected. Once you do know the roads you can try and aviod the places where there are holdups during rush hour, but sometimes it is impossible not to get stuck in jams.
Remember to always have the items required by law, fire extinguisher, warning triangle and first aid kit as the police often stop and check and will still often demand a 'dash' even if you do have them. Never pay exhorbitant amounts to the police. Be polite and respectful but if they ask for more than 20 cedis ask to go to the police station. Filming the incident can also help.

Driving in Ghana I have found, is one of the most stressful things you can do in life. It's just horrendous to me. I've been driving for 15 years 1.5 of those  are in Ghana and I have never seen such incompetence behind wheels.  In the UK as you can imagine people actually have to pass tests; here, if you have a car and can turn the engine on your good to go… or just pay for your license.

I agree with the 1st review... always expect the person in front to do something you would never expect them to and parked cars  on the side of the road are often active cars with no break lights and certainly no indicators so ALWAYS expect them to just pull out without looking or paying attention.

A big group of people to pay attention to are:

Pedestrians - they walk in the streets mostly because there are hardly any decent pavements and they don't seem to fear cars to expect them to be in your way but always give them wide births.  Also children will run out as they do everywhere, please be careful of your speed

TroTro's and Taxi's - will always pull out in front of you and just pull over/ stop in the middle of the roads so don't drive too close to them or you'll get stuck behind them while they pick up passengers. Never assume "I have right of way," it doesn't work in Ghana, everyone has right of way it's just who is brave enough to not slam on the breaks first.

Motorbikes - the bane of my existence - they have no fear or care for life they are just reckless, so please watch them and your side mirrors will become your best friends - so many accidents involving them because they just don't care and they observe none of the street "laws" so on a one way street they will come down the other way... when the traffic light is red they just go  through, mostly without looking - please be aware of these people. 

MOST private cars are decent it's more the commercial cars which are just a headache but keep a decent but not fast speed and driving at night.... do you have all year? Street lights are hardly on so you are forced to use your fog lights... and so does everyone else so when the car is oncoming you get dazzled a lot. Just drive slowly.

Also on carriage ways and Motorways they don't have any lane rules so, so large vehicles will be on the inside lane and switch lanes to avoid traffic. My tip is to stick to the inside lane where you can so you don't have to deal with the Trotro's stopping and pulling out on the outter lanes.

When the lights are out and the traffic lights are not working take extra care as its everyone (wo)man for themselves, however a trick I use is always stay close to the car in front… if you allow a gap the car trying to cross you will do so – just follow the care in front over the lights and you'll make it over.

Once you start to learn your way around the roads it's somewhat bearable and you need a lot of patience but as you can probably tell, I hate driving in Ghana.  If you are rich…. get a driver and let him deal with the headaches.

Hi, my daily driving from Regimanuel (Spintex road )   to Cantonment next to Japanese Embassy ......well and adventure every day , will not repeat more of the   under mention cause is just a factor to copy and paste , i agree 100 % of they comment, i am an Italian leaving is Southern Africa , so speed, caos , push in drive in small road like in Genova or mountain roads where one car can feet uncomfortable, mini taxi drivers ...like in SA......but still here i need a driver.

My driving experience in Ghana his not a good one as a tourist travelling from UK where we drive on the left side of the road.
I was luck to be alive including 2 other friends from UK at the time in a rental car.
Driving in Ghana is not for the faint-hearted  but i realize driving somewhere different you just have to maintain your cool and don't panic.
Safer to take a tro tro or hire/charter a taxi!

Best I can advice : Get a local driver then only with a handful  of references from people who are known to you or your friends. Do not rely on verbal assurances.
If I want to write about 36 years road experiences it would need a book to do so.
Another advice, if you want to drive yourself, never take overland routes overnight, no matter what anyone tells you.
Experience always beats assumptions.
With you in traffic you will be taken for a ride eventually.
Make sure you have 2 warning triangles with you, your papers are in order, fire extinguisher in the car.
Seatbelts are on, No mobile during driving, You will be chased by cops on motorbikes!
Traffic lights change erratic so watch for the sudden switch to yellow and red. If you are caught its a hustle and waste your time endlessly.
Driving in Ghana is not for everyone.

Well said, it's completely true
Best Regards