Driving in Belize

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Belize? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Belize?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Belize: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

One to watch out for is turning left; the rules here say you should pull over to the right until it's safe to turn left. Not the way most countries do it.

general rule is : Brits drive on the left side of the road, Americans drive on the right side of the road and Belizeans drive on the BEST side of the road.  Chaos at best !! Need to always be a very defensive driver..watch out for other cars, bicycles, buses, pedestrians, cattle, dogs, cats and anything else that could possibly be in the road because it will be when you least expect it.

Sounds like the kind of place you really don't want to drive a car, unless there is very little traffic causing conflicts.  Which side of the road is the official Belize Dept of Motor Vehicles choice, i.e., the legal side on which to drive...or is it open to personal choice, which is what the locals seems to think?

So, you indicate the rule is left lane is the driving lane while the right lane is for left turns...sounds like a real issue if there is traffic congestion...is this not an issue?

Driving in Belize is not really an issue of concern for most, and it certainly has not been for us. The 'rules of the road' are essentially the same as the US - drive on the right. The exception is that for L hand turns, when there is oncoming traffic, you are supposed to pull over to the R shoulder of the road, then wait for the traffic behind you and coming from in front of you to clear before you turn L. Not a big deal, and rarely an issue the majority of the time, as there is generally not much traffic outside of the cities. You definitely have to watch for pedestrians, etc. Our issues have been the unsigned 'sleeping policemen' on the major highways, and the lack of road signage in general.

there is a high incidence of drunk driving, especially after dark.   Most of the expats I know in Corozal, avoid driving after dark and definitely stay off the highway.

Thanks for the advice...I will definitely keep this in mind. :)

Sounds like the situation I experienced driving around Cozumel. :)

Does the highway present unusual or exceptional risks out of the ordinary? :)

it all depends on what one considers "ordinary".

My major concern is pedestrians/ horse & buggy/ bicycles. There was a Mennonite gentleman killed recently in a horse and buggy, hit from behind.

Happens here too...lotsa Mennonites in MO

I have come to this conclusion about driving in Belize! You can do anything as long as you don't hit anybody or get hit!

:D Best philosophy for life in general and driving in particular!

Any comments concerning the Corozal area?

It is somewhat different then the U.S. We find that children don't have much fear of the power of a moving vehicle. Slowing down through the villages is a must. Bicycles too are not subject to any one place. In the villages, the men going to work on their bicycles is dangerous. We almost hit a biker and we did the customary thing here by honking when coming on bikers. The man decided to cross over and we were already on the other side as we were giving them the space needed.
We find most drive at a faster speed then we do. But who are we?
The law here to pull off the road on the right if your making a left turn, or visa versa, is difficult for US expats, but it is vital to remember. We have seen near misses due to expats forgetting this law.
Be a defensive driver at all times no matter what country your in.

Yep...I experienced that peculiarity while driving in the Cozumel area...never understood why the other driver honked until now :top:

I already do that anticipating all the idiot drivers around here.  But, every now and then one goes out of their way to be totally reckless and you just gotta get out of their way :o

Island drivers are the worst. Most dont even look when the pull out. Bikes and motorcycles get hit regularly. Luckily it is mostly golf carts with a 15mph limit, so not much danger. Taxi drivers should all be taken out and shot for being the biggest danger to everyone by far. Belize City is horrible, but typical of third world idiocies, like driving too fast for their capabilities and rude like the big city. At least they have real roads and vehicles with brakes and lights for the most part. Across the country, it gets sparse and there is more room for evasive action to avoid the idiots. In general, expect every one to do the wrong thing and be prepared to avoid them. It's defensive driving

Chilling account of a place to avoid....sounds like Boston!)

Any comments about the Corozal area?

I believe that if people adhere to the rules in place, mind their driving skills and not try something they aren't accustomed to. Then the is nothing wrong with the driving conditions in Belize. The problem lies with the inexperienced driver, therefore if someone is having an issue with how driving is done in Belize, then they should consider whether they should be driving or use public transportation. People need to quit trying to change thing because of their inadequacies. ADAPT!!!!!! PEOPLE. :-) There are already rules in place. Learn them. There are posted signs. But like in the States, people don't know how to drive they just get behind the wheel and go. READ! LOOK! LEARN! BE FRIENDLY! BE SAFE!

You agree that people should learn what the driving rules. Correct?

Learn the rules, read the signs/semaphores, be friendly, be safe. BE EXPERIENCED IN DRIVING. :-)

"When in Rome....."

Tell me more about the "sleeper Police" on the major highways.

"Sleeping policemen" are just speed breakers-speed bumps that will rapidly jolt you back into reality should you come upon one at greater than 10 mph. There are supposed to be signs that indicate their presence prior to you encountering them, but frequently not the case. They are primarily in village areas, particularly around bus-stops, and the signage is usually missing, at least on one side of the road. You can, and should, take cues from other drivers about their location. There are, I believe, 27 of them between Belmopan and San Ignacio on the Western Hwy.

The knick name comes from the Brits when they were there, the original signs they used, still some around,  like two mounds which supposedly looks like a sleeping policeman's Bum. :)  They have actually removed a few on the western highway between villages where there is no population. They are a "traffic calming" device

:lol: I like the metaphor...very appropriate.  Thanks for the warning, otherwise I would never have suspected.  This is the kind of knowledge I am looking to get before I arrive in-country.

I thought the name was simply a policeman lying across the road to slow drivers down. We've used the term 'sleeping policemen' for many years in UK. Either way the Belizean ones can be a big surprise if you don't keep alert!

I thought you are a Brit since those speed bumps are used in UK populated areas...probably where the BZs got the idea?

Yes they were put in when it was still British Honduras even after independance and  up to the 90's there was only the one set of traffic lights in the whole country, and the sleeping policeman system was a low expense solution to the growing numbers of speeding traffic. The British influence also explains the use of Roundabouts at big junctions in the more recent years. Even in Britain when I was a kid when they first started putting in The 'sleeping Policemen'  the knick name came from that double hump sign. All the kids would search out the signs to giggle at. That was a looong time ago we didn't have computers and internet so had to grab the innuendo where we could.

:lol: So refreshing...love that Brit humor.  I knew from history class that BZ is former Crown Colony...hence the obvious question, and pleased by the confirmation.  Too bad the Brit gov't efficiency didn't carry over like in India.

I totally agree with you.  We came here to retire and "get away from it all" so why would you come down here and try to make the country change?  When someone moves to the US don't we complain that they should change to our ways or go home?  Same thing here.  We should adapt to Belize not the other way around.  I for one like the speed bumps much better than a policeman hiding behind a sign hoping to catch me so he can write a ticket.  Besides the countryside is beautiful and you should take the time to enjoy it.

We have driven in Belize with no issues...there are pot holes so I would not recommend a fancy low slung sports car!! And those darn unmarked speed bumps will wake you up!! There just isn't enough traffic to really cause any problems...although we didn't spend time in Belize City.  After driving in some other countries, we found it refreshing to slow down and enjoy the beautiful country!!

Driving in Belize - good question : )
Most of the roads are good - save for the unpaved Coastal Rd and Hopkins Village roads (although the road to Hopkins is now paved).  Native Belizeans are notoriously bad drivers and speed limits (except in major towns) are mere suggestions.  We have seen some unbelievable passing attempts - especially on the Western Hwy between BC and Belmopan.  Just take your time - enjoy the wonderful scenery - pay attention to the "pedestrian ramps" as they will launch you car if you hit them at high rate of speed! 
The Hummingbird Hwy has sections with bad pot holes that get patched regularly, but with heavy truck and bus traffic - they don't stay filled for long.  It is a shame because if the Hummingbird Hwy was in the same great shape as the Southern Hwy - it would be a World Class motorcycle run with sweeping banked turns, incredible scenery, antique bridges, etc.
the Southern Hwy is the best road in all of Belize.  It is in terrific shape - lots of visibility - and less traffic so you can really relax, cruise, and take in the scenery at your own pace. 
There are checkpoints commonly set up - mainly to look for the insurance stickers on your windshield.  Also pay close attention to lots of small Chinese motorbikes - sometimes with 2-3 people on board.  Give them plenty of room when passing and just be courteous. 
PS - a good place to pass large trucks and buses is at the pedestrian ramps : )

Yep, I am really concerned about how the US gov't culture is changing ...kinda like the Weimar Republic change in the 1930's when a certain notorious political figure instituted his personal philosophy of how the government should rule the populous. Violence is becoming a regular event, prisons are privatized and the stock holders are the politicos that make the laws.  The Justice Dept. has become the injustice department.  When a patriot reveals the dirty truth of NSA spying on the populous he has to flee for his life. Big Brother is here, but no one is concerned...least they be put into the rehabilitation institutions (prisons).  Even the media is cowed by the overlords.

This is not the culture I grew up in, nor the one I served for 23 years. 

Like my little German Great-Grandmother it's "time to get out of Dodge".

The latin culture in MX was very comfortable and relaxed.  The politicos are corrupt and make no pretense of being otherwise.  At least you are dealing with honest criminals.

So, my Prius v wouldn't be vulnerable to road damage?

Hi, all! What's the lowdown on renting a car? I have heard it is really expensive in Belize, including expensive gasoline. Would it be cheaper to fly into Mexico, rent one there and drive down? My husband and I will be making our first trip in February, 2016 and we want to travel around as much as we can to get a feel for the country. Thanks!