Everydaylife in Thailand

There is a great difference between having holidays here and living here be it 1 year or more.

Having holidays is short spell and all is like honeymoon.

But when living here, totally opposite especially you are working. You will be in the rat race. Getting to the office with everyone thus sharing the transport or driving means the roads.

What was your former lifestyle and what is the lifestyle here in terms of home; utilities; food; hobbies; relaxation; language; culture etc

There is a term called as culture shock.

Working in Thailand has these so called rules. If you are senior by position or age, you are suppose to take care of juniors. There are things like giving them treats.

There are things like buying food or desserts to give to workers even you pay them for their services.

There are things like your juniors or your staff if you are the boss as they come to you to borrow money.

Being foreigner especially westerners (Farangs) you are classified as being rich.

Do your homework first before jumping on the plane and live here.

Sorry to say this, having a thai wife is not an automatic passport to live here without visa restriction.

Thai men marry foreign lady can buy house and land for both names. She can have thai ID and passport too.

But thai lady marry foreign man does not enjoy the perks like thai man with foreign wife.

Rejoice wrote:

There is a great difference between having holidays here and living here be it 1 year or more....

Sorry to say this, having a thai wife is not an automatic passport to live here without visa restriction.

Thai men marry foreign lady can buy house and land for both names. She can have thai ID and passport too.

But thai lady marry foreign man does not enjoy the perks like thai man with foreign wife.

In my experience you can get a marriage visa if you are married to a Thai, but it doesn't solve all your problems related to being here.  You still can't work, and the visa doesn't let you stay in the country for longer than 90 days at a time, without filing for extension I think it goes, or at least that was my experience. 

Also there are other restrictions:  you need to show evidence you can support yourself if you stay here (they require bank statement records), and it's not a given you'll get the visa, or will keep getting it.  We couldn't file for the visa here so we needed to go to another country to do it, even though I was here at the time.  Since they change the visa rules and how the rules are enforced over time nothing that applies today would necessarily be true in the future.

I really don't know about the rest but it was so interesting I included citing it.  Anyone can have a Thai ID (driver's license) but a passport is another matter entirely; it would be interesting if a foreign woman really could just marry into Thai citizenship as stated.  That's crazy that they would make a gender distinction about citizenship rights and land ownership but I'm not suggesting it isn't true; I really don't know.

Hi Rejoice,

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Thailand forum. ;)

bkk tea blog wrote:

it would be interesting if a foreign woman really could just marry into Thai citizenship as stated.  That's crazy that they would make a gender distinction about citizenship rights and land ownership but I'm not suggesting it isn't true; I really don't know.

The difference I know between farang lady married to a Thai male and farang man married to a Thai Lady, is in the first case the farang lady will get a marriage visa without any financial requirement at all, and in the second case the farang man will have to show a bank statement with 400,000 THB.

Regarding law about land, there is no difference, however a farang lady married to a Thai male will get certainly more easily permanent resident status, for a farang man they request 3 years working in Thailand and paying taxes plus the usual others requirements,

There is a difference between buying house and buying land, any farang can buy a house but not the land on which the house sits, the land will be on the name of his Thai wife and the farang male can lease it back for 30 years ( there is no warranty to renew after ) the farang will have full right of possession during this period as the lease must be registered to Land Department and fee must be paid.

Let's say you lease a land 5000 THB per month, it will cost you 1,800,000 THB for 30 years plus extra fees.
We can imagine 5,000 THB is the cost of 1 sqwah ( 4 sqm ), that means it like you have paid the equivalent of nearly 1 rai of land = 400 sqwah ( exactly 360 sqwah ) and the land is not yours.

bkk tea blog wrote:

In my experience you can get a marriage visa if you are married to a Thai, but it doesn't solve all your problems related to being here.  You still can't work, and the visa doesn't let you stay in the country for longer than 90 days at a time, without filing for extension I think it goes, or at least that was my experience. 

You can work with marriage  visa if you have a work permit you don't need a Business visa.

You can stay 1 year after the extension of stay in the kingdom, you just have to report 90 days online, by mail or go to immigration, but no need to leave the country.